B2b chargers?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gvannin

Reaction score
Hey is any one using b2b chargers?? And if so how efficient are they for charging compared to an isolator... I plan on using a blue sea 7622 isolator. Wondering if a b2b charger is a way better option or no? ThNks!

Gvannin said:
Hey is any one using b2b chargers?? And if so how efficient are they for charging compared to an isolator... I plan on using a blue sea 7622 isolator. Wondering if a b2b charger is a way better option or no? ThNks!

i like the sterling products, but they are a bit rich for my blood. i just ordered an adjustable boost converter to at least be able to get up to and maintain a proper absorption voltage. i was able to get 20 amps at 15.8 volts (seeing if i could equalize) into the house bank with engine in van at idle and engine battery around 13.5 as a test. now working to do a clean install. i will still have to manually stop it so as to not over charge but i was very happy to get constant 20 amps at that voltage. where as when i just hooked up jumper cables it dropped to less than 10 amps pretty quick and that was at 13.3 volts or so.

a b2b charger is a WAY BETTER option if you can afford it or DIY something yourself

John got put on moderation for refusing to define his abbreviations. this just didn't happen it's been going on for months. please define your little known or made up abbreviations. even if I know what you mean, I will still ask for a definition if I think newbies won't know. thanks highdesertranger

A b2b charger would be nice for the ability to limit the current draw and to adjust the charge profile voltages.  If one is fine using a relay be sure to also check out the Sterling units.  There is a good description of one of them in a recent Enigmatic Nomadics vid here:

If I wasn't setting up lithium that might be a nice way to go as well.

highdesertranger said:
John got put on moderation for refusing to define his abbreviations. 

Dang, another worthy sparring partner bites the dust.... :(

S'OK tho, because 'Mr Wind' and I can still rattle our sabers now and then. :p

AJ452 said:
If I wasn't setting up lithium that might be a nice way to go as well.

According to this website (https://www.parkedinparadise.com/b2b-chargers/) some of the Sterling b2b (battery to battery) chargers can handle lithium ion (LiFePO4) batteries. 

However, regarding the specific device mentioned in the Enigmatic Nomadics video i am unable to determine if it supports lithium ion batteries. 

The system i would like to use and am planning for includes lithium ion batteries and the device presented in the video is very appealing. I can not determine from the device’s webpage if this particular model will work with lithium batteries.

https://www.sterling-power-usa.com/ProConnect-CVSR140amp12vor24v.aspx

Does anyone know for sure? If i don’t hear anything, i may give Sterling a call in the next week or so.

John didn't get banned or anything like that he just got put on moderation. he can still post but now his posts must get approved. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
John didn't get banned or anything like that he just got put on moderation.  he can still post but now his posts must get approved.   highdesertranger

Wouldn't that create a higher 'workload' for the moderators? Approving comments?

:huh:

sure does, but at least we not PMing him back and forth trying to get definitions out of him. John could have avoided all of this at anytime in the last few months, all he had to do was define his abbreviations, he flat out refused. he was warned and warned and warned and warned and warned, still he refused. we had no choice. highdesertranger

I purchased the Sterling.  BB1260 With the idea of a future lithium battery purchase.  I’ll have mine setup for AGM when the weather cooperates.  One of the advantages of this model is that it allows for a user defined profile. (Which allows the use of virtually any 12 volt battery) You can get the manuals from Sterling’s website.  I monitored the output of the alternator for about a year and was annoyed by the way the built in voltage regulator of the alternator greatly limits charging ability from the alternator

Hey HDR, feel free to delete my off-topic posts here. 

I was just wondering but did not mean to derail the thread.

Apologies to the OP.

“  I monitored the output of the alternator for about a year and was annoyed by the way the built in voltage regulator of the alternator greatly limits charging ability from the alternator”

Sorry, when I edited this before I left out that I was annoyed with a solenoid setup from the alternator to house battery.  The b2b allows a full multistage charging profile.

Since the built in regulator in most alternators is preset and nonadjustable and is supposedly using a charging profile for a starting battery (which I assume is different than the house battery) and the batteries are used differently (starting battery high load for a short period of time and house battery low load for a long period of time) does this device have two adjustable profiles, one for when the alternator is charging the house batteries and one for when the solar is maintaining the starting battery? It seems to me that the two systems are not really compatable as a starting battery and a deep cycle house battery don't efficiently do each others job well and therefore should be isolated most of the time unless this device is able to charge two different types of batteries with completely different charge profiles. It would seem to me that a larger alternator would be required to efficiently make this system work even if using a "universal/multiuse battery" which would not work as efficiently as the specialized batteries in use today. Once a starting battery is charged the alternator is regulated and therefore the load it puts on the vehicles motor is decresed increasing fuel milage. Nothing it seems is simple or cheap when it comes to making your own power. Is this system really worth it in the long run or are there better alternatives such as using a small generator for charging house batteries?

Bullfrog,  I think the link that Matildas mate posted earlier addresses most of your concerns

https://www.parkedinparadise.com/b2b-chargers/

My BB1260 doesn't allow solar input.  It only requires charging profile for your house batteries.  It does have a dedicated lithium charging profile which I think is too high but with a user defined profile that problem is solved.  I think that a very large alternator would definitely be beneficial especially for depleted house batteries.  For extra safety reasons I've mounted a temperature sensor on the alternator's case with a temp guage mounted in my dash.  I also have a switch from the ignition source that controls the b2b's operation.  It also has a built in feature to limit the current by 50%.  This hopefully will be a soulution for me because I plan much driving while I'm able and I also found a new unit at a significant discount. :D 

When the weather improves I'll post a review.  Too wet and cold for me here.

Thanks for the post and information. I had watched a few videos from the van build where they are using solar as a starting battery maintainer, except instead of a starter battery they are using the same deep cycle battery as their house batteries justifying the practice by stating they did more sitting than traveling. Their unit allowed them to connect the starting battery to the house batteries to increase amp hours of their battery bank which they then recharged with solar while not traveling. I question the efficiency of using the vehicle alternator as a slow charger for house batteries as well as the cost of abusing a deep cycle battery by using it as a starting battery. I guess time will tell.

Bullfrog, I watched those videos also and I happen to have two odyssey house batteries also.  Odyssey suggest those AGM batteries receive a 40 amp  bulk charge rate per battery at a minimum.  I wondered how Mr. Lee was handling that issue.   I agree that the alternator used as a slow charger is not efficient.  But I'm sure you know how loooong a battery needs to be held at absorption voltage to get the battery at full charge.  The b2b allows that.  And it's just another tool in the toolshed.  I sure don't think the b2b is right for most people but when you can get it for about the same price as a really good isolator setup I thought I would try it.  If you're not driving it really doesn't matter.

I'm using a switch setup to keep my starter battery charged from solar when sitting for long periods.

Matildas mate said:
I can not determine from the device’s webpage if this particular model will work with lithium batteries.
Does anyone know for sure?

At least some of their BB series (the Ultra were the ones I saw) have configurable setpoints, so you could config it the way you want for Li or any other common chemistry.  

Here are some threads that discuss what those setpoints might be.