Auto Zone lends tools!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skywater

Reaction score
My serpentine belt broke last night. To be honest, I've been riding with a replacement, knowing it needed to be installed, but fearing my personal capabilities. 

I needed a tool to help loosen the tensioner and walked the 3 blocks to Auto Zone where they loaned me the tool, no charge!

And, I successfully replaced my first serpentine belt. Woo woo!!!

good for you.

just so everyone knows O'Riellys also lends tools.

highdesertranger

some NAPA and car quests also loan tools.

most of the main stream parts stores that offer a tool loan program seam to offer lots of specialty tool you might only need on occasion. not sure what they offer as far as basic wrench or socket sets, never had the need. but the loan program has really saved me time and time again

pretty cool resource to know about.

Sky, what did you use to properly tension the new belt? Too much tension and you'll probably blow out the water pump bearings, too loose and it will not do its job.

IIRC all serpentine belts have automatic tensioners (at least all mine did). V belts are another story.

"automatic tensioners". Aha, something to follow up on, thanx. I mainly stopped doing engine work after they invented computers.

I still can do a lot of the maintenance stuff, batteries, belts and hoses. Oh, and oil changes but don't like doing them but am able.

Qxxx said:
Sky, what did you use to properly tension the new belt? Too much tension and you'll probably blow out the water pump bearings, too loose and it will not do its job.

There were no adjustment options. Swing the tension wheel thing down to loosen and finish belt installation,  release and it goes back in place. 

(I am not a mechanic and am apt to use lingo such as thingamajig and doohickey)

I can do simple things with the help of youtube videos, schematics, and having watched others.
Next project I hesitantly want to tackle is a brake change.

I drive a 2005 Chrysler Town and Country

Cool, I looked at a couple of videos on how-to for T&C. I hope you have some jack stands, so not relying 100% on the regular jack. Got to have those things to be safe, even for changing flat tires. It's a bit tight on the side of that engine, but the tensioner makes it more straightforward than the old days, :).

Doing brakes is even less for the faint of heart (we're talking me here!!). Need a mask, as there will be dust. Also possibly needing to turn rotors or drums, and roto-root the cylinders.

I definitely do NOT trust the factory jack!!! For the serpentine belt I was able to turn the wheel and squeeze under without elevating.  However you raise a valid point for when I do the brakes and other projects. Thank you!

Luckily, the serpentine belt exchange only took a couple of minutes, else crawling under and working without hoisting up would be pitn.

I always block the wheels and put the jack stand under the axle first thing (after loosening up the lug nuts a bit). Even more critical the bigger and heavier the rig is. IE, get heavy duty jack stands, then you'll have them for the next rig.

If you're really gonna do brakes, you will likely want to have both front or rear wheels on the jacks at the same time.

Doing brakes for the first time you will want to complete one side before tackling the other. If you forget where something goes, walk to the other side and see how/where it attaches. It is a simple job really but don't take shortcuts, brakes are more important than the engine.

"brakes are more important than the engine."

this^, as I always say stopping is more important than going.

highdesertranger

Haha high desert ranger... I’ve resigned to the fact that I’m not putting anymore than I have to in my old plow truck. Cause after this year I plan to be wintering with the nice people on this forum in warmer climates. So all of the sudden I lose brakes. I pour in more fluid only for it to pour back out. Being the environmentalist I am I now depend on my plow to stop me. Haha! Actually enough fluid remains to operate the front brakes. We keep getting nailed with snow. No time to fix. Haha! I don’t have to go far, but people are catching wind I’m outta here next winter and wondering what they are going to do. Sorry people... insurance on one vehicle has me liking my move also. I just lit my wood stove... it’s a mild 12 degrees. I’m not into heat, but man oh man I’m no longer into cold either.