Aussie seeking stealth overnight tips

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Radicals

Reaction score
Hey guys this is my first post!
Quick background:

I'm a 31 year old guy, about to move into my camper (seen here).  It's not exactly stealthy, I know...

I'm having some blackout window-slotters made so during the night no one can see in.

I was hoping to hear from some fellow Aussie vandwellers, what are your tips for stealth parking overnight near the ***/built-up areas?

My plan so far is:
1) As often as I can, park near friends and relatives houses
2) When that's not feasible, park in suburbs along quiet streets, aiming to park along someones side or rear tall fence to avoid problems.
3) Never park in the same place more than 1 night

Sound good?  Do any of you get hassled by people or cops for doing this?

And finally, I had a great idea!

At night, if I find a quiet road somewhere, I could open up my engine bay (under the passenger seat) and put some spare parts like an alternator and a heater hose on the drivers seat.  I then put a note in the window saying "Broken down :( Tow truck coming first thing in the morning, sorry for any inconvenience!"  Then get out asap in the morning.

Thoughts?  Anyone tried this?  It might also deter thieves if I did this during the day when I'm away from the van :)

Attachments

• IMAG0402.jpg
    IMAG0402.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 10
Welcome to the CRVL forums, Radicals! Everyone will tell you to not look like your hiding. Look like you belong where ever you park. Pull in after dark and leave before light. I'm not Aussie. These things are universal, I think

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

It would do you more good than harm to block off your windows. Curtains indicate they are there for opening and closing. Solid ply sheet tends to give a more tradesman look. (removable)

Have you watched any of the stealth camping alliance YouTube videos? One of the main rules I've seen is when around population to go to the sleeping area late and leave early. Do the hanging out somewhere else.

Hey guys this is my first post!
Quick background:

I'm a 31 year old guy, about to move into my camper (seen here). It's not exactly stealthy, I know...

I'm having some blackout window-slotters made so during the night no one can see in.

I was hoping to hear from some fellow Aussie vandwellers, what are your tips for stealth parking overnight near the ***/built-up areas?

My plan so far is:
1) As often as I can, park near friends and relatives houses
2) When that's not feasible, park in suburbs along quiet streets, aiming to park along someones side or rear tall fence to avoid problems.
3) Never park in the same place more than 1 night

Sound good? Do any of you get hassled by people or cops for doing this?

And finally, I had a great idea!

At night, if I find a quiet road somewhere, I could open up my engine bay (under the passenger seat) and put some spare parts like an alternator and a heater hose on the drivers seat. I then put a note in the window saying "Broken down :( Tow truck coming first thing in the morning, sorry for any inconvenience!" Then get out asap in the morning.

Thoughts? Anyone tried this? It might also deter thieves if I did this during the day when I'm away from the van :)
Go late and leave early works well.