Art Abandenment

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vanbrat

Reaction score
I just started something fun. It's called Art Abandonment. Like the rock painting, and rocks are included in this, but so is jewelry and small stitched goodies  and knit goodies anything that is someone's opinion of art. All art pieces should be abandoned in a place where they can be found easily enough by someone, in ziplock bags or ?, with a note to insure finder that they can keep, regift or what ever. Also a facebook sight they can report their find as being found.  Not that it is required or anything. 
I love working on all kinds of stuff and have lots of stuff that is small trial work, small new ideas. Some hit the trash as they are not really any good (I'm still learning), some are given as gifts to friends and family.  Now I have a way of finding them new homes and maybe make someone smile. Anyway, it is a way I can keep working on "stuff" and not have it keep taking up space. 
I just put my first piece out there don't really expect to hear back about it. but it was fun to think in this crazy time we are in I may have made some one smile for just a few minutes.

To see more about it check out the sight on facebook at Art Abandonment.

That used to be such a fun thing to do about four or five years ago. Then for some reason it just stopped [emoji29] I used to leave little things / creations at road stops and post which one I left it at, but not exactly where... So it would be like a little treasure hunt.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Do some geo caching with them. Otherwise it might be called littering ;)

if you ask me Geo Caching is also littering. painting on rocks and then leaving them scattered around is called vandalism. same as graffiti.

the word is "Leave No Trace"

highdesertranger

Thank you HDR. Take on the pictures leave on the foot prints.

nature lover said:
Thank you HDR. Take on the pictures leave on the foot prints.
Mostly this stuff is left not in a super nature trail place. I have only left things in places like the ferry boats, or a gas station, or the city park trails, or such i have seen them left on traffic light buttons and in window sills outside of businesses (with the business consent) I have also left them at things like garden fairs, concerts and fire works shows places where they are indeed a good find. They never stay anyplace for long... And if you don't want it, don't pick it up. Or if you don't want to hang onto it, rehide it. Always up to who ever finds it. My neighbor has a couple dozen rocks in her garden. She loves finding them. We have had a few show up here after/during any party for the last 4-5 yrs. Kids love to paint and hide them. I just became aware of the other art part of this. The facebook sight had pictures of some of the art, nothing real fancy, but some really nice stuff. Everything from small paintings to beaded jewelry to stuffed animals to tiny fimo hearts, etc...
It is just intended to be a pleasant surprise type thing. 
Not as pleasant as finding the winning lotto ticket, but still enough to make someone smile.

WanderingRose said:
I crochet hats and scarves and leave them at shelters and soup kitchens.

They’re my art contribution to my fellow humans.
My sister used to leave baby blankets as she learned to quilt nothing really fancy but enough to learn her new craft and say to someone who needed them that they were thought about... 
And we both had times in our life that that was something we would have wanted/needed.
Thank you for caring. (But I'm sure you know that already.)

Since the pandemic where I am people have been painting rocks and leaving them to be found. It’s really popular and become a thing. Cheers people up. They post photos on the local website.

Would love to find something. I don’t think it compares to people dumping their garbage everywhere. I collect pretty rocks from our tiny local beach that probably has 30 million rocks no one cares about (same amount since since 1973 when we had our middle school PE classes on the beach) and put them in my garden.
Few people care about this stuff. I’ve never seen anyone but me take a beach rock. I would love a mandala rock.
I think this situation has made people appreciate the small beauties in life. I hope that is not lost.

I too knit matching scarves and hats and either wrap them for Christmas or distribute them if it’s a cold winter. They go to the local homeless or the battered women’s shelter.

I love the painted rock stuff. Some are so well done and so beautiful. Mine aren't so much art, but words of encouragement. The little kidos, wellll theirs where mostly colorful. But their families liked them. And they were so happy when they were found at our parties and such. I have never found one that was offensive or anything like that.

Now I'm looking through my stash of small bits of things I have worked on that are to 'pretty' to toss, but starting to build up a bit to much. I left a small wrist cuff out and now will think about some small water colorings. Or maybe something else.

Think back to being a kid and remember how good it felt to just sit and color. There are actual studies done to support the real gains in mental health of folks who create art or 'color'. I tell people they can't make prozac fast enough for me to give up crafting. It is cleaner then booze and safer and cheaper then drugs.

The thing is just to be able to spread some smiles.

You probably should put it in a bag with a note (if it’s not a rock) because if I just saw a cuff or anything else lying there I would assume it had been lost and would leave it for the owner to come back and find! A nice note would be great. It might get to someone who needs to hear it. The universe is funny that way.

They are put into ziplock bags with notes that say free for you with a facebook page address or what ever. If you go to facebook and look for the Art Abandonment page you can see more for yourself..... Again just for fun, not going to put out junk, just little stuff.

Soooo are you going to hunt for stuff or hide stuff or both.... I have more 'stuff' going out today. wish I could get my pictures to work here. I would show off a bit. The facebook site has more info if you want.
Facebook group/Art Abandonment....

I find old graffiti in the desert all the time.

a444e57d8e02ccad1c5b41e2f2742fff.jpg

It's like art geocaching!

I have only seen this stuff done in more public places - behind a hotel is probably the most woodsy place I've ever found a geocache. I'm not gonna compare a rock someone decorated to used condoms and beer bottles, which i've found plenty of.

I love this! Man has been leaving traces since the beginning of time. That's how we have all the prehistoric stuff on walls today. If our ancestors left no trace, we would have no history.

Art is not junk or trash left for others to pick up and this is being done primarily in urban areas or populated areas, where it makes sense.

I definitely plan on doing this when I get on the road. We have people here who leave their artwork around town and will post clues on where to find them. I LOVE looking for them! Plus it's just a really nice way to do something nice for another person without expecting anything in return.