Armed Forces Retirement Home

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoulRaven

Reaction score
Fellow Veterans:
           I've just returned from a four day visit to the Armed Forces Retirement Home located in Washington, DC. The Department of Defense has merged the former "Old Soldier's Home" in Washington, DC with the "Retired Naval Home" in Gulfport, MS so qualified veterans, regardless of branch of service, can go to either one. This is one of our hidden military benefits that doesn't get much publicity but might be helpful to some fellow veterans.
           The website with all the info is: "afrh.gov". Basically the deal is if you qualify, you can move in for "three hots and a cot" and free medical care for a percentage of your gross income not to exceed $1,430/month. Not bad for living in downtown DC or right across the street from the beach in Gulfport! You have to be capable of "independent living" before you move in but after that, as your need for care increases, they simply move you down the hall for "assisted care" or "total care" as the case warrants.
           As of now, the Home is a "Retirement Community" with all the trappings; golf course, bowling alley, hobby shops etc. This may change into a "Nursing Home" if the facilities don't fill up and get used. I'm amazed that almost no one, including the VA in Little Rock, doesn't know about these retirement homes.
          Qualifications are stiff. As I understand them (the website has more details):
1) Retired enlisted veteran with over 20 years service and over 60 years old.
2) Disabled Combat Veterans wounded in combat.
3) Unable to make a living AND served in a Hostile Fire Zone.
4) Any female veteran on a case by case basis.

NOT eligible:
1) Felony convictions
2) Alcohol or drug dependence.
3) Mental health disabilities.

This might be a viable option for a veteran wanting a "home base" or "permanent address". They have a RV parking lot at the Washington facility. No time restrictions on the residents traveling. I'm just trying to get the word out to fellow veterans who might find this information useful. My favorite aspect of the Home was the people who live there, all fellow veterans! I'd be happy to share my personal experiences while there or any information I might have absorbed. In a few weeks, I'll go visit the brand new, (Thanks Katrina!) Gulfport, MS facility and report back here.

I would also like to appeal to my fellow veterans to get informed about this place and help spread the word about it. Think how many homeless veterans might qualify and get a nice place to stay in their "golden years".

Happy Trails!
Chuck in Arkansas

Moderator: I'm unsure if I'm posting this correctly or in the right space. I reckon this info might be of interest to some veterans in the van dwelling community. Of course, feel free to delete if inappropriate.

Attachments

• 01 Front Gate.JPG
    01 Front Gate.JPG
    684.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 07 Old Scott Bldg..JPG
    07 Old Scott Bldg..JPG
    688.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 03 Long View.JPG
    03 Long View.JPG
    700.2 KB · Views: 6
I wonder if they consider diagnosed PTSD as mental health issues?

I see some positive changes in the VA. But I have said that before and got burned when the changes were forgotten and it was back to the SOS.

Thanks for the heads up.

Rob

You are right. I had no idea such a facility existed. I hope I never have to go to such a place even if it does sound good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought they were all nursing homes.

Howdy again!
            Just returned from a three day visit (FREE!) to the Armed Forces Retirement Home in Gulfport, Mississippi. Formerly known as the "Old Sailor's and Marine Home", but now combined with the "Old Soldier's and Airman's Home" in Washington, DC. Since 1979 they are service branch immaterial; so anyone can go to either facility. One could even move between the two, spend a few years enjoying the culture/history of DC and then move to the beach for the warm weather. The major differences between the AFRH and State run Veteran's homes are the AFRH is a Department of Defense facility run with federal funds from the military budget and the AFRH is run like a retirement community vs. a nursing home. This is a BIG difference! Both AFRH homes have swimming pools, bowling alleys, golf courses, full gyms, hobby shops, planned travel excursions etc. 
             Yes, I know a place like this isn't for everyone. I plan to use it as my "Plan C" when I can no longer travel independently. I have experience with shopping for nursing homes for my mother and let me tell you, the AFRH is NOTHING like any nursing home I've encountered. If you might qualify, I would urge you to visit either or both facilities to see for yourself. They will give you a room and meals  while you are there. The Gulfport home is right across the street from the beach and they have an RV charging station so you can top your batteries overnight. 
             I can't tell you how comfortable it makes me feel knowing that if something drastic happens to my health or I become unable to travel extensively while "living rough", I have a place where I will be surrounded by fellow veterans and staff who actually care about keeping me engaged as a "person" vs. a "patient". I was both humbled and uplifted by being with vets from WWII to present who live there, truly my brothers and sisters. Where else would you see a 94 year old resident in a walker stop, bend over, and retrieve a piece of trash to throw away because he was "taking care of our home"?
             Anyways, perhaps this info might be helpful to fellow vets who qualify. Never too early to plan for our "next chapter" in life. Standing by to answer any questions you might have. I have first hand experience with both locations. Website for the Armed Forces Retirement Home = AFRH.gov

Happy Trails!
Chuck

Attachments

• Gulfport.JPG
    Gulfport.JPG
    333 KB · Views: 1
So Chuck, what do you need to do to get an overnight visit? You say there is an elec hookup? Does that mean overnight camping right across from the beach [emoji1]? Can you stay a couple days?

Cammalu said:
So Chuck, what do you need to do to get an overnight visit?  You say there is an elec hookup?  Does that mean overnight camping right across from the beach [emoji1]?   Can you stay a couple days?

Simply call the PAO at the Home and request a visit.
If you qualify as a prospective resident, they can arrange a two day visit with free room and meals. They had prime rib during my visit!
You can arrange for a longer stay but it will cost you $65/night $8/meal, maximum stay of 7 days. This includes full use of all facilities (pool, computers, bicycles, etc.)
No camping/sleeping in your vehicle allowed on the grounds, the RV site is for charging batteries only.
Keesler Air Force Base is a few miles away and they have a full RV park (and marina/boat rentals) for $22/night if you prefer.
Do not attempt (as I did) to go without making arrangements and schedule through the PAO. They won't let you in the front gate without prior "authorization" and they are serious about security.......

Chuck, is something you would do? It looks good on paper and the rooms and menus are nice but is it 1500 dollars nice?

I sent in a couple of questions, I would like to learn more. Thanks for the heads up.

Rob

Gunny said:
Chuck, is something you would do? It looks good on paper and the rooms and menus are nice but is it 1500 dollars nice?

I sent in a couple of questions, I would like to learn more. Thanks for the heads up.

Rob

Rob:
      Absolutely! I have already decided that is where I'm going when unable to enjoy "rough living" and travel. It's not a matter of "if", it's a matter of "when". The fees are based on your level of care. For instance: When you check in, you will be assigned to "independent living" which will cost you 40% of your gross income up to a maximum fee of $1,429/month. Check my math, but unless you make over $3,575/month, you won't even pay that amount. Hint from the residents: They only can count what they see as income on your tax forms and W-2s etc. Many residents have methods to "hide" some assets....... "I know nooothink!", SGT Shutlz.
     Where else can you get a motel room size "apartment" with all meals provided at a true "retirement resort" vs. a "nursing home" plus FREE "in house" medical care for life? Have you checked the prices of retirement and nursing homes on the civilian marketplace? In addition, there are some things that are without a price tag, living my "sunset years" among fellow veterans is one of those priceless aspects for me. Your mileage and opinion may vary. Oh, the menus do look good, think "mess hall" quality though. Good news, no cooking, no dishes! Both homes do have kitchens the residents can use if they want to cook something for themselves. The "Mess Hall" chow was fine by me and had an excellent salad bar but that was the #1 complaint from the residents. Some folks would complain if you hung them with a new rope, I swear....
      I am amazed at the lack of publicity about this place. I have at least five former Army buddies that are eligible and in need but had no idea of the program. The VA is unaware as well. I'm hoping to spread the word. There is plenty of room for eligible veteran's and "the more the merrier"! So even if this program is not your cup o' tea, please help spread the word about it among our brothers and sisters. Great load off one's mind when they know they are taken care of even in if your current lifestyle "goes south", nor  be a burden on your loved ones. Important to note, one does not have to be a retiree to qualify, combat vets and medically disabled also have a chance.
      Last point: As of yesterday, the waiting list times for the Washington DC facility is zero. They have openings right now. The waiting list for Gulfport runs around 2-3 years for single folks, married couples (both must be qualified veterans) can move in immediately. Probably the first time in the history of the Home this has happened..... The administration guys figure that will change drastically within the next few years as the "next generation" of veterans, the "War on Terror" folks start showing up.
       You haven't lived until you enjoy a beer (FREE) with a crusty sea dog who "dropped depth charges on them damn Nazis subs" from a blimp. The guy next to him relates a funny story about loosing his shoe in the mud while invading the Inchon harbor. The third guy tells about running trail recon in Vietnam and adopting a Cambodian puppy, placing it in his rucksack to "rescue from those commies" (and we weren't even "officially in Cambodia"). Damn, the history these folks have lived. Impressive!

Happy Trails!
Chuck

I read the menus and checked out the rooms,actually apartments. Very nice from what I could see. I sent a few questions via their form, I may call tomorrow. It sounds good, I didn't read about pets, I didn't think of it.

I had a couple of other questions but it looks decent.

Rob