Are we there yet?? :)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ninjabookitty

Reaction score
Hello all! I've been lurking around but figured I would go ahead and say hi. I first learned about van life around 10 years ago as an offshoot of the tiny house movement that I was interested in at that time, but kind of just thought of it as vacationing, not actual nomad life. A few years later as my life was becoming more miserable and less bearable I started watching van life videos purposefully, but I was watching the wrong ones - young, beautiful millenials in fully converted $60,000 Sprinters and slick high production youtube channels  :dodgy:  . I was very discouraged knowing I could never afford something like that even if I wanted to. Then I stumbled on the van build videos and was again discouraged, knowing I have no construction or electrical skills and honestly, no interest in learning or maintaining it even if others did the installs. And also feeling that I hadn't yet found the right rig for me. But I was determined to get out of the matrix and I was patient, knowing the universe is always working in my favor and that the answer would come at the right time. So I kept researching, watching and waiting. Until I finally found the videos that had what I want. No build builds, people in SUVs and trucks. Simple, minimalist. Low overhead, low maintenance, high mobility and adventure. Channels showing me how to really get out to total isolation and solitude. Digital nomads showing me how to take advantage of working remotely. Women travelers showing me how to be safe and comfortable alone, anywhere, any time. Campers showing me simple easy tricks for everything I could possible want or need to do. EVERYONE on Bob's channel showing me how to pee, poop and bathe :D . And so now I have a plan in place, am knocking out the steps, and hope to be on the road within the next 1.5-2 years, depending on how quickly I can save up the amount of money I want to have saved before I go so I can spend the first part of the journey just having fun traveling and learning and building my process. I spend so much time visualizing and dreaming my new life that some days, I am honestly surprised when I wake up in my house and not a truck in the high desert   :D . So til then, I'll keep watching and learning and planning. Hopefully, soon, I'll see some of you down the road.  :cool:

Welcome and woo hoooo. You are on your way to the life you want!

Welcome ninjabookittyto the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Highdesertranger

Welcome aboard the dream team. I started here when I was just planning. Eventually, it all comes together. I'm still waiting for my van to be transformed... like you, I have no construction skills. My interior decor skills are likewise negligible. I haven't stopped dreaming of the day it will look like mobile-house-beautiful. And as for "are we there yet?" - my answer is "no." And I'm currently sidelined.

Welcome to the forum!

Don't to forget to enjoy camping as you dream up the perfect rig. You will use all the skills and gear you acquire along the way.
-crofter