Anyone travelling with rescued cats (multiple)?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AbigailKitt

Reaction score
I am a wannabe vandweller. I am also a cat rescuer. I currently have “a few” (actually more than). My plan is to have the van for my “bedroom” & a cargo trailer (hopefully a WeeRoll) outfitted for the cats (kitty chateau) plus cooking & bathing for me. I have wanted to do this for YEARS (ever since I found CRVL). Some tell me I’m crazy; others have said if anyone can do it, it’s me. But, I’ve always said, Where there’s a will, there’s a way. 
Having said that, I have numerous concerns. Pet laws (as in how many & transporting them). Disposal of kitty trash (litter, cans; no dry food; it’s SO bad for them). Cleanliness (having enough water). 
I will NOT send them to a shelter; they are my responsibility until death (theirs or mine). If anyone has any experienced advice, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Abigail. If you have ever ridden in the back of a cargo trailer or even a camper you wouldn’t think of putting the cats back there. It’s an extremely rough ride. Check out the movie The Long Long Trailer for details and an example. I had no idea until I rode in a camper one day. What a ride!!!

You’ll also have the problem of heat and AC. I had a friend accidentally leave her dog in her van when it was 85 degrees out. Ten min later she remembered but it was too late. Dog was dead. I don’t think she will ever get over that.

I think the only solution for you would be a motorhome. Size depends on you and how much space you have. You will only have so much room for litter boxes but what I’ve done (3 cats) is to buy a tote at Walmart and cut a hole in the side,but up towards the top, so I can put a LOT of litter in there. It’s pretty deep and I can scoop once or twice a day and be ok.

If it’s hot and I have to leave the cats while shopping I can crank the generator and leave the AC running.

The cats will get used to the ride.

My cats are both inside and outside cats.

I have to agree with the above post.
Even with the best of intentions, putting them in a cargo van is a disaster just waiting to happen.

Most people don't understand the bond you can form with animals.  I get it.   You simply cannot abandon them and you deserve praise for that.
But even if you take them, the day will come when they slip out (you know how cats are) and in the wrong place and time, that too can be a disaster.

Your situation is very difficult.  traveling with one one cat would be hard enough...but 5 or more ....almost impossible....unless you had something like a motorhome.

I assume you know they can not drive in the Weeroll while you are towing it. No on that one but you can have your cats in the van with you while driving....when you stop you can put them in the Weeroll but you will absolutely have to have AC hookup point blank, unless you truly stay in a very very controlled climate during the seasons where you truly can leave them in it and be safe.

and how many is more than a few? LOL I mean 4 cats, even 5 but I tell ya you go over that count and your life on the road might be rougher than you think plus the strain on your cats won't be worth it at all.

I did see a travel trailer that took out a window on the unit....then rigged a 'pet cage' that was pretty long made of mesh wire and pvc piping where the cats could climb outside at any time and had some perches and could enjoy the weather and all and not be trapped inside all the time. But it did look like 'alot of work' but kinda not that much work for the setup. All pvc to connect and unconnect the 'kinda panels' they made but it was bulky and such but I thought it was cool cause these people had 4 cats in it and those cats looked happy using it......but these people obviously are putting effort and time into this moveable contraption they made for their kitty cats.

plus if not already start to leash train your cats with body harness. they can't just live in a weeroll, they must have more to life than that in some fashion

How socialized are these cats? Those that are still semi-feral might never adapt. You'll have to get them used to the setup before you hit the road. At least a month would be good.

I agree that they must travel with you, either in an RV or with a trailer. And they really should be caged for the trip (those folding dog cages are good).

Loose cats while on the road is a terrible idea. Even a minor accident that breaks one window, and they'll be gone. In the wilderness? In the desert? Just the thought makes me sweat.

If (and it's a pretty big IF) you manage to train the cats to travel, you might check out COYOTE FENCE ROLLERS. Theoretically, you might be able to carry some rolled 4ft welded wire mesh fencing 2x4" mesh) and some t-posts (plus a pole pounder and puller lever), enough to completely surround your rig, with room to walk around inside, maybe fastened with small carabineers, with thin steel fencepost rollers all around the top. The rollers roll freely, and if a cat tries to jump over the fence, he grabs the roller on the top, and gets dumped back inside. The same thing happens if a dog or coyote tries to get in, but it dumps them on the outside.

I don't know how well this idea would work, but I'm considering it for my 2 cats.

P.s. if you do want to try the coyote rollers, DO NOT use PVC plastic pipe. It is intended for underground use, and will shatter after continued exposure to sunlight.

No slide outs. I spent hours listening to an older couple in order to locate their cat. They had ridden the ferry in their motorhome and stopped for lunch and realized their cat was missing. The only time the door was opened was on the ferry. We waited for the ferry to return and searched it completely, no cat. They were too upset to travel so I showed them to a campsite. They extended the slide out and out came one upset cat!

Hi Abigail, I travel with my 5 yr old rescue cat in a high top camper van. My cat was a city cat so he was familiar to being indoors with a lot of different outside noices, that is, from sirens and people. I taught my cat to travel with me in stages: Vet appt, 1 hr stops then 3 hrs ect. He never adjusted well, but he eventually came around...with the help of meds. Some people may object to this method but he's happy and I'm happy.
I haven't trained him for a harness and leash and I wish I had. But he enjoys being strolled (in a pet stroller with heavy duty wheels for rough terrains) and he loves being outdoor in his My Favorite Pet pen. It's large, fully enclosed with heavy duty material and mesh windows. Its compact for easy storage too. I have his litter box, food water, a cat city, and rugs for comfort. I got it on Amazon. Best thing for him to enjoy the outdoors with me.
Traveling with cats are a fun and challenging(not impossible)way of life, and camping with them can be simple and easy if you're prepared: Outdoor safety and keeping them cool!
It seems you have a will to do what's best for your furry loves, which is a great place to launch the way!
Cheers - Best of luck

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the different perspectives. I plan to “cushion” the ride as much as possible (shocks for the trailer & some sort of “shocks” for the area where they will ride). I also plan on having multiple living levels, with a way to “contain” them on 2 levels (1 for riding, with compartments, & access to litter) when moving. I plan to have a “double entry” so they can’t escape. AC is a MUST & plan to have that, too. They don’t go outside. I plan on having a ramp door with a sort of “pull-out” so the get fresh air but cannot wander away or get taken by a predator (fully enclosed with wire). So, I have planned for some of these scenarios but, as I am not currently a nomad, I didn’t know what else I might not be considering (I don’t know what I don’t know). Yes, I realize that it will be difficult but don’t know if it’s possible to do it right.

So my son tried to have Just 4 cats live aboard his 42 foot yacht that he and his girlfriend shared. It was miserable for all of them. The cats had the whole back deck and they got shared inside time (they didn't like it). That didn't move or rock as much as a trailer would. Their mom was very careful about heat and liter boxes and food and predator's and such, but it was not fun. She took them finely to a friends house and moved in there with them. They kept trying to jump ship when ever they tried to go out and they did not like seeing the rest of the world moving around outside and they couldn't. They moved to the boat from their own fully furnished kitty room in a big house. Like I said they tried for a few month, but didn't work. I'm not saying your plan won't work but have a back up plan in case you find it doesn't work out.

AbigailKitt, before you put too much money into your project, it might be a good idea to take a ride in the trailer, by yourself, and see how it will be. Just have a decent driver (no idiots) haul it around for a mile or two, so you can see what the cats will have to endure. Yes, it's illegal. But I don't think you really understand the problem. A 1,000 lb trailer is going to BOUNCE. Cats don't like bouncing. I would bet some serious money that your cats will do everything they can to escape.

Just because it works for you, doesn't mean it will work for them.

This thread reminds of when I stayed at Slab City a decade ago. There was a pair of sisters staying in a big Class A near where I was parked who were like 88 and 90 years old.

They had riding along with them about 4 or 5 cats that mostly stayed in the MH but also were outside a lot. At that time I didn't see many dogs running around loose but I did occasionally see one. Some were bulldogs or bulldog mixes.

A neighbor went over and warned the ladies that there were sometimes dogs running around but they didn't seem concerned. Anyway, during the 3 months I was there, none of the cats got mauled or eaten.

I travel with 2 rescue cats who live in the van with me. I have to be careful about where I go in terms of temperature, proximity to other campers (firearms, dogs), and predators (they're everywhere). It severely limits where I can stay, when I can buy groceries (not on hot days), prevents me from staying in established campgrounds, and finding a vet when they get sick is difficult post-COVID. Totally worth it, but there are drawbacks.

My cats were accustomed to riding in the car, walking on leash, and coming when called, so it was an easy transition. It will be less so if your cats aren't used to these things, or if they're feral or semiferal, and it's worth training in advance. One of my cats likes to sleep in a cubby while we drive, but the other prefers to ride in a carseat so he can look out the front windshield. Make sure to provide options. A permanent trailer existence would likely lead to fear, stress, and car sickness, and then it wouldn't be long until you were dealing with injuries and/or illness. Cats have a tendency to stop eating when they're stressed, and that can cause a liver disease, not to mention their tendency toward urinary and kidney problems (especially in males). I say this as a former veterinary nurse and cat behavior consultant, so I'm not pulling it out of nowhere. Please respect their needs in making your plans.

The outdoors are dangerous, too - especially on the road. I let mine roam during the day, and they come back in the evening for a group walk and go inside at night. They were unhappy being constrained to my sticks and bricks, even with free access to a catio, so this was the best decision for all of us. I understand that someday they won't come home, but they're happier than they've ever been and our relationship has really strengthened. They live richer, more fulfilling lives than most people I know. The downside is that they're not likely to live as long. I'm going to get GPS pet trackers so I can find them if/when they don't come home.

It's a terrible idea to have cats in a moving trailer for the same reason it's illegal to have people there. Any sudden movement--braking, swerving, etc.--will essentially turn them into missiles hurtling through the trailer at whatever speed you were traveling before you braked (etc.). Cats are very very good at reacting to movement and are very agile, but they're not adapted to deal with velocities that are greater than those they can attain under their own power. It's the same reason why you usually can't kill yourself by running into a tree or a wall at your fastest running speed. All of us animals are built to cope with a maximum speed and no faster. Also, your cats may be sleeping when such an incident happens, so less prepared to react to avoid injury.

I think an RV would be a bit safer, as you could hear them react if they were injured and you could pull over and check on them very quickly. The issues mentioned by other posters are quite valid. An RV existence would mitigate, but not eliminate, those concerns. Cats are not natural nomads (except within a limited and specific range, as routine, on their own terms). They prefer a stable living situation. I'm not saying they can't adapt, but you'll have to go to considerable lengths to make that happen, and even then, your particular cats may just hate it.

Just watch the movie The Long Long Trailer and you’ll know why they shouldn’t ride back there.

Everyone should watch that movie anyway. It’s a scream.

I don't have time to watch The Long Long Trailer. Is there a short short trailer for The Long Long Trailer I could watch instead?

I actually looked for the specific scene but couldn’t find it. Desi is driving and Lucy is in the camper trying to make dinner and getting thrown all over the place. Riding in the camper while being towed is super bumpy.

And it's illegal for people to ride back there, due to the danger. An accident with loose cats in the trailer would likely be a disaster.

Our geriatric cat eventually adapted pretty well. The important thing is to give them familiar places and smells they can retreat to, starting with making them comfortable a carrier, which then becomes their "car seat" in the vehicle. Never travel with them in the trailer. The alternative to sending the rescues to a shelter, is to adopt them out to good homes during your travels, once you've succeeded in having them trust being around humans. You can be a foster-home-on-wheels, but I question whether having more than 3 at a time is manageable for one person.

Last edited:
I travel with one cat and she is the central focus of every decision I make. In 10 years of full time RVing, I have had several things happen that could have been disastrous for her had I not been home. I have insurance for "stuff" but she is irreplaceable. We've rushed to shelter during tornado warnings. We've been through hurricanes and a derechio. My roof AC arced and caught fire once. The fan blade has broke twice. So I'm saying traveling with multiple cats could become somewhat stressful. Herding cats during any emergency would be difficult. I fully empathize with your "til death do us part" midset, because I have that with my cat. I'm not saying you're situation is impossible, just think and plan long and hard before traveling with multiple pets :)