anyone interested in making money by helping me virtually to convert my van?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monica99

Reaction score
Anybody who with van conversion experience that would be willing to help me out converting my van virtually? Someone with electric and so on knowledge to advise me? It has to be virtually, zoom, skype, WhatsApp video call?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-08-09 at 15.50.41.png
    Screenshot 2022-08-09 at 15.50.41.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2022-08-09 at 15.50.48.png
    Screenshot 2022-08-09 at 15.50.48.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2022-08-09 at 15.52.30.png
    Screenshot 2022-08-09 at 15.52.30.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Nice van Monica! You might really want to hire someone where you're at though... Too easy for complicated stuff to "Get lost in translation". Having someone there "eyes on" might save you a lot of headaches down the road... JMHO.

Cheers!

Zoom works fine for some things but it is not a great scheme for teaching someone how to convert a van. You are talking about a thousand different task that need to be accomplished many of which need hands on experience with a person standing next to you to show how it is done.

I encourage you to build it out yourself. So many people spend a lot of time and money building their "dream" van, then hit the road and realize what they've created falls short of meeting their needs. I suggest starting with the simplest systems that will meet what you think you need. Then hit the road. Make modifications/enhancements based on your experience.

Your van is a passenger vehicle, so there is already flooring, ceiling and wall coverings, HVAC, and windows. This makes an excellent foundation for a camper van conversion. All that's left is to add the amenities you want.

I bought a brand new passenger Sprinter and spent 40 hours and $4000 converting it. I have zero construction skills and owned no tools. My initial plan was to do a fast and cheap build that would allow me to learn what I wanted before hiring a professional van builder. A year and 40k miles later, I am thoroughly happy with what I've created and have no intention of having my van professionally rebuilt.

My build is simple, but with a couple of exceptions, has every amenity a factory built camper van would have. Just done more rudimentary. For example, my bed platform is a piece of plywood (cut to spec by Home Depot) with legs created from steel pipe and flanges, topped with a real mattress. The only tool I needed was a drill. As another example, my kitchenette is a base cabinet (already assembled) from Home Depot, I added a countertop and sink. The only tool needed was a saw. The plumbing consists of a USB powered water bottle faucet, supplied by a 7 gal container under the sink, which drained into another 7 gal container. I don't remember using any tools, maybe a wrench. Last example, my electrical requirements (convection microwave, induction cooktop) are met with a mid sized power station, except for those that are battery powered, like lights. No tools required. The only item that I hired someone to build was my toilet box, which was beyond my carpentry skills. I found a local guy on TaskRabbit and he charged me $250.

I know how every system in my van works, and there is nothing that I can't fix or easily replace. Doing my own build has been empowering. I will never be mechanically inclined, but I am making iterations on my systems to address pain points as they arise. I'm in the process of increasing the complexity of my plumbing system in order to have hot water. I'm thinking about ways to recharge my power station more quickly using the engine. And there are a few upgrades that I will hire a professional to do, like installing a rooftop AC or fan.

Even if time and money are not big constraints, the benefits of DIY are worth consideration.