Anyone ever park for free at a fee based campground?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s all about you! Lol!!! Get some ear plugs! There are almost always ways to find a place to sleep free you just have to be motivated!
I have an aversion to ear plugs after wearing them nightly for about a month while staying in a noisy location out of necessity and then getting an ear infection. So I try to avoid them except for occasional use, one or two nights.

it actually isn't. An amenity is 'an add on feature' to the desired building or location. So one is 'using the site or location' and that could be pay or free or ?, but an amenity is anything added extra when one pays or stays at the sight. So your campsite or location of stay is not an amenity. Just sayin' :)
Thank you. I was going to say the same thing. Just being able to park and sleep somewhere is not an amenity. Not in my mind anyway!
I don't know why but I have this aversion to paying just to sleep. One reason I got a van and put a bed in back (amongst other things) is to avoid paying $100(whatever)/night for hotel room just to sleep.

Thank you. I was going to say the same thing. Just being able to park and sleep somewhere is not an amenity. Not in my mind anyway!
I don't know why but I have this aversion to paying just to sleep. One reason I got a van and put a bed in back (amongst other things) is to avoid paying $100(whatever)/night for hotel room just to sleep.
hey, ya know I got that same aversion as you do too LOL I also want 'more free nights on the road' more than having to pay even for a campsite, haha. But nice thing is we can bob and weave our free nights and our paid nights. We always on a longer trip just sleep in a space at a truck stop or in a rest area situation. Or big ol' empty parking lot or ask a bigger private gas station if we can park in back for most of the night etc. I have no issues finding me free places to park for a good snooze while traveling. But when it calls I have no issues paying for a good campsite and great amenities when needed in a great location to kick back, relax and chill and enjoy life. But I find 'trying to conquer' nights on the road and not paying to sleep like ya said is kinda a game now to me. I enjoy the challenge :)

It helps to be flexible and able to adapt to less than desirable locations, after all you are just going to be there long enough to get a night’s rest. Your daylight hours should be spent In beautiful and wonderful adventures in day use areas, at least that is what they say in the YouTube videos! Lol!!!

In the long run it does not matter how we think things “should be”. Nomads live an “It’s a pot luck life” unless you learn to plan ahead for your next free overnight stay.

everyone lives potluck if there is no planning at all, lol.

there truly is alot of good adventure and great life out on the road for sure.....let's all jump out there and take it best we can :)

hey, ya know I got that same aversion as you do too LOL I also want 'more free nights on the road' more than having to pay even for a campsite, haha. But nice thing is we can bob and weave our free nights and our paid nights. We always on a longer trip just sleep in a space at a truck stop or in a rest area situation. Or big ol' empty parking lot or ask a bigger private gas station if we can park in back for most of the night etc. I have no issues finding me free places to park for a good snooze while traveling. But when it calls I have no issues paying for a good campsite and great amenities when needed in a great location to kick back, relax and chill and enjoy life. But I find 'trying to conquer' nights on the road and not paying to sleep like ya said is kinda a game now to me. I enjoy the challenge :)
Yah. That's the way I like to do it. A mixture of free stays and paid stays. Those nightly campground fees can really add up. I like your attitude. Thinking about like a game or challenge. Sometimes I can feel that way and sometimes it's stressful.

I'm certainly not doing any "policing". Just making observations and wondering about things. I really don't care whether people have paid or not.
I came in late to a NY campground and the attendant let me sleep in the overflow parking. I told him I just needed a safe place to rest. The thunderstorm that night was wild! I was very glad not to be driving that in the dark.

I came in late to a NY campground and the attendant let me sleep in the overflow parking. I told him I just needed a safe place to rest.
so agree that if one asks, one can get very great help when required. We ask alot and so many have been kind to allow us down time for snooze time on the road in their establishments, or a cg area like you mentioned. Asking can get one alot of good :)

Back in college in the 70's I used to camp for free in Mammoth Cave National park in the winter. There were 3 campgrounds and they closed (blocked off with a chain) 2 of them for the winter and the other was left open. There was no ranger there or anyone at the gate to pay during the day or the night. I don't think they let people do that any more though. I loved it because the park was always empty and it is a beautiful place.

In the late 70s some of the campgrounds in Yosemite Valley were free from about November to March. I stayed there in my camper for a couple months one winter. When they resumed charging a fee in the early spring I went up to Cherry Lake to camp for free.

we were in a more isolated area getting late with 'no big parking lot' to stop or anything but we hit a small park with a Ranger and asked if they had any type of short term parking just to sleep/be off the road a bit and he said the park didn't offer it, but he said go back the way ya came, turn at the blue big house a few rds down and then turn when ya see a boat ramp sign and follow that. You can't overnight but he said he patrols the area also and it is ok for us to park, get in some decent hrs of time off the road and he is fine with it.......so again, I swear when ya hit the right people to help direct one somewhere, it all falls into a great experience sometimes. The 'locals' know where one can park and do ok alot of times. I rely on locals for sure :) Nicest people wanting to help most times for sure.

Ha, was camped at a NW Forest Service CG. Early one morning a young man was packing up. He came in late the day before. A Ranger shows up asking why he had not paid. Dude said he was going to soon... Ranger was pissed. "I KNOW WHAT YOU WERE TRYING TO DO!" Ranger stood their while the kid scrounges up the $15 or whatever.

Another time I was looking for my Father, so early morning I drive through a CG. Can't find him but stop at restroom. I'm in drivers seat about to leave and CG dude pulls up and parks behind me. I'm in no hurry so sit a wait for him to complete his task. Eventually, I climb out and he thinks I stayed the night without paying. We worked it out.

I dont' think I've ever camped in a campground with showers, where the showers weren't coin operated. So, you're paying for the shower, whether you pay to camp at the campground or not....