Anyone ever get a shoulder injury getting in and out of van? (especially women?)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A massage therapist, an experienced yoga teacher, or a professional specializing in sports injuries would also be helpful.

Selling the van seems like a drastic solution, and premature at this point, since you apparently haven't consulted a knowledgable person, nor actually tried anything to help yourself. If you really want to keep the van, go ask someone qualified for advice.
Yes. Also consider acupuncture or chiropractic. Don’t let anyone sell you a package of multiple treatments; just try each modality twice. If you notice some improvement, continue. It may take time. If you don’t notice any improvement at all after two sessions, try another modality or another practitioner.

So, here's a weird question...I've had my Chevy van since Jan of last year.

Two weeks ago, I started having terrible shoulder pain, and it hurts like hell whenever I pull myself up into the van and while driving. At first, I couldn't think of how I could have hurt my shoulder, but now I wonder if I might have torn my rotator cuff pulling myself up into the van?

Because since I broke my foot in 3-4 palaces last Memorial Day, I haven't wanted to put too much weight on my foot when I'm getting in and out of my van, so I've been mostly using my right arms and right shoulder, which is the shoulder that is really hurting.

I googled "shoulder injuries from getting in and out of vans" on the Internet and something called "Trucker's s shoulder" popped up.

I should mention that I'm a single female, only 5'2''. Before I hurt my foot, it was a little difficult getting into the van without a broken foot because I'm so short, but now that I can't use my left foot to push off, it's even harder getting into the van.

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Anybody else ever have this problem? [/font]

If my shoulder doesn't get any better, I'm thinking of selling the my van, because I do NOT want to have shoulder surgery. I hate to sell it because I put so much work into it, but I don't want my shoulder to get so bad that I need shoulder surgery.

Ugh....
Hi Giggles, While I endorse the recommendations for acupuncture and chiropractic, I am also asking you to consider the possibility that you did yourself no musculoskeletal favors by adjusting for the hurt foot. You likely have been walking out of alignment, so to speak, which throws everything else out too. You might also benefit from some old-fashioned physical therapy.

It's called getting 0lder. I have a fold up step on a rope I used for getting into planes but don't need it in the Ambo as I'm 6'4".

Thanks, everyone. I forgot I posted this. The pain got so bad that I called a rolfer and that got rid of it. Whew. Man, that nerve pain was killing me.

I haven't had the pain return, so I don't think it was the van. I think it was something else.

Yes, I put in rope handles last year and they are a life safer!! :) I love them. I used the big nautical ropes you get at the dollar store. I LOVE them.

Anyway, I am doing much, much better now. Thanks, everyone!

In my van I carry a two step stepladder with a hand rail which I bought at Home Depot. Sturdier and steadier than the plastic folded one and lighter than the big steel step we carried in the RV. Probably too big to yank it up with a string.