Anyone ever drive a Kaiser Military truck before??

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think they all do. I had 2 duece & a half 10 wheel drive one was a readio repair truck with 7k miles, big enclosed box with the toolboxes, butherblock workbenches etc & original tires, a 1967, then a 1971 troop carrier. The ambo is much more easy to drive.

I've not had experience with this particular model of truck, just something similar as this which was a 1951 Dodge M37. They came with a pickup body, and then also an ambulance model. These are great to drive. Another for consideration is the duece and and a half's (2 1/2 ton) trucks, and even the 5 tons are a blast to drive. I especially enjoy the healthy whine from the turbo so prominent from the short exaust stack that rises on the passenger side. I am partial to the multifuel models which allow you to use anything from diesel, gasoline, av gas, alcohol, kerosene, motor oil and so on. Not the best fuel economy but some have boasted upwards of 22 mpg in the right circumstances. This is a go anywhere vehicle, toss on a utility box such as an ambulance module, or mechanics box, or radio box, and you have a ready set compartment for building out an extreme camper. One mod that is popular these days is the bobbed modfication. This in it's most basic form entails pulling off one of the rear axles, shortening the frame, and putting the trailer body from something like a M104 trailer to function as a pickup bed and the completed conversion will yield an awesome short wheel based 4x4

JD GUMBEE said:
10-4 on the turbo whistle!

I would  not take the advice of whoever said that. ROFL They are too stuffed with cow excrement.  :)
Downhill, with a tailwind

hahaha a wench model, hahaha. they misused the word wench 3 times counting the title. I guess I shouldn't laugh I am no English major myself but I do know the difference between wench and winch.

those old Kaiser trucks look cool but have zero creature comforts.

highdesertranger

My Grandfather walked from Germany to Holland because of Kaiser Willhelm Just up and left the country.

my old fire department had an M725 as a brush truck. a beast of a machine and would go place that you wouldnt think possible. was pretty shocked the first time i popped the hood and saw it had an overhead cam 6 in it. i will confirm their were no creature comforts on ours... lol

but i could have got one of those in a cab forward set up, i would have loved to build a go anywhere boonedocking rig...

Scotty Moore said:
Downhill, with a tailwind
Only way they got 22 mpg was on a trailer & the duece used 2 different turbos, one was a whisler & one not. I like the 5 tons with the big single tires, auto trans & recovery/wrecker set up. Good forum is steel soldiers.

In the smaller units I likes the Power Wagon by Dodge better than the Kaiser. I'm 35 miles from the AM General plant.

i see a lot of the responses are referring to the 2.5 ton and 5 ton 6x6 rigs. some may not realize the rig in the first add was the m725 not much more than a 1ton pickup. if i recal they were rated 1.25 ton. they drove and handled much like any old pickup. where as the 6x6's and even the bob'd duce is more akin to driving a semi truck

all cool rigs by the way

nope I was referring to the one in the ad. Pops had a M-725 Ambulance. the one in the ad is actually a M-715 pick-up. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
nope I was referring to the one in the ad.  Pops had a M-725 Ambulance.  the one in the ad is actually a M-715 pick-up.  highdesertranger

that is why i said "a lot" not all, nor did i specifically address your comment. and while you may be right about it being a m715 the add is posted and the quote follows for a m725

"Year: 1968
Make: Kaiser Jeep
Model: M725
Vin: 12139XXXXXXXX
Mileage: 26231"

my point was a m725/m715 is a much smaller rig than the big 6x6's in a completely different league... for what ever reason, it seams like everyone knows and recognizes 6x6 rigs, from movies and such. fewer people know of or recognize the m725/m715 type trucks. i thought pointing out the difference might help those that had no familiarity with them.

no worries. but the guy in the ad better brush up on what he actually has beside trying to sell the wrong truck he is trying to sell it with a wench, LOL I believe that's against the law. highdesertranger

If I read the post right, it's just a 5/4 ton pick up. Being that old I seriously doubt it would have a locker. If it were a USMC ordered truck it might.

OldGriz said:
If I read the post right, it's just a 5/4 ton pick up. Being that old I seriously doubt it would have a locker. If it were a USMC ordered truck it might.
OldGriz,  The original poster of the thread has passed away so he can't reply to your questions. But no doubt others will pitch in to answer.

A winch will help you get out of the mud a wench gets you into ! (<;