anyone considering mexico?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VegasVanGuy

Reaction score
On one of my early retirement forums someone posted this:

"We're currently spending a few months up at Mexico's largest freshwater lake, Lake Chapala in the State of Jalisco (only about 45 minutes from Guadalajara). We lived here full time for about three years and are currently Tucson-based, so this area with its perfect year-round climate (it's at 5000 feet: temps are typically mid-70's-low 80's during the day and around 50 at night) is a great escape from Arizona heat. It's the rainy season here - meaning heavy rain for an hour or two most nights and usually clear, sunny says. 

Most tourists think of Mexico as a winter-only escape and of course think "beach," but here and in Central America too the vast majority of the population lives in the highlands where the temperatures are pleasant year-round. 

We used to average around 11 pesos to the dollar during our years here, but for much of this year the exchange rate has been 18 pesos plus (today's rate is 18.77). This makes the already more-than-reasonable prices here truly amazing; if you've been contemplating a visit or extended stay down here, there's never been a better time. 

Lake Chapala is the largest American and Canadian expat haven in the world, so in addition to plenty of Mexico food there are lots of gringo-oriented eateries and amenities. To give you a sense of prices, here are some recent ones from our day-to-day existence here (peso amounts converted to U.S. dollars at 18.4 to the dollar)

Roasted half chicken with rice, just-made tortillas and salsa: 2.98

Mini watermelon, large papaya, large pineapple, 5 limes, 3 large mangoes: 4.80

Steak dinner for two with rosemary roast potatoes, steamed vegetables and a bottle of Chilean cabernet $23 (including generous tip)

Street tacos for two for lunch (tacos de barbacoa - long-stewed beef, with lots of veggies): 54 cents per taco/$2.71 total. 

Dental cleaning (U.S. trained, English speaking dentist) $13-24 (many expats come to the area just for dental work and can add on a couple of week's R & R plus airfare and still come our ahead vs. U.S. prices for major work like crowns or root canals).

Travel within Mexico is equally attractively priced. There are super deluxe buses here that don't have any U.S. equivalent (think first class seating on an airplane, but with more room) and also a fiercely competitive discount airline market almost entirely made up of airlines that can't be booked on travel agglomerator websites (Google Vivaaerobus, Aerolineas TAR, Volaris and Interjet). As an example, from Guadalajara airport less than 30 minutes from Chapala, one can fly roundtrip to Oaxaca for $130-150, or roundtrip to Mexico City for just over $100. 

There are a bunch of factors fueling these amazing exchange rates, including low oil prices, Brexit and overall weakness in Europe. Who knows how long it will last, but it's an amazing opportunity for travelers and we also see many snowbirds who've been coming down for years looking at buying properties and vehicles at what could be once-in-a-lifetime prices."

I think it could be a lot of fun. There is an RV park on the west side of the lake. $250 per month; wifi, pool, hot tub, tennis. With my setup I have a 22ft class c with a motorcycle rack so I would just park the RV and use the motorcycle for transport. Only main roadblocks would be visas and insurance. I think most US insurance companies don't cover Mexico. I would learn Spanish but there are around 20,000 Americans and Canadians in the area.

Anyway, just wondering what peoples thoughts are.

I am considering it, hate to be cold and want to wait for rtr:) I know van tramp and Paul kitchens (sorry wrong spelling I am sure) have blogs on it. I have been to bordertowns and Puerto valarta love it! Generally such kind people

i consider it but its not the most female solo traveller friendly place one can go.

I figure make hay while the sun shines. This exchange rate won't last forever. I have read enough expat/travel blogs that I know to never buy property in a foreign country. When the party ends you start your engine and leave. lol. Of course I'd never go to a country just because it is cheap. You need to enjoy foreign cultures and be flexible as well.

VegasVanGuy said:
Lake Chapala is the largest American and Canadian expat haven in the world...

Which is what sort of spoils that area and San Miguel de Allende for me.

Sounds like you have been there. I'd like more info if you have.

VegasVanGuy said:
Sounds like you have been there. I'd like more info if you have.

I don't want to go to Mexico to be surrounded by Yankees. A handful, sure, especially if they're friends. But I'd rather experience actual Mexico, not a version that has been turned into Mexiland by expats. I don't like parts of Mexico where the Mexican-ness has been pushed to the side.

MrNoodly said:
I don't want to go to Mexico to be surrounded by Yankees. A handful, sure, especially if they're friends. But I'd rather experience actual Mexico, not a version that has been turned into Mexiland by expats. I don't like parts of Mexico where the Mexican-ness has been pushed to the side.

Well, 20,000 expats are relative to 4 million in Guadalajara. The expats are there when you want them. There are plenty of other people to meet as well.

VegasVanGuy said:
I have read enough expat/travel blogs that I know to never buy property in a foreign country. 

I don't want to take this thread off topic, and maybe this question won't, but could you expand on that a little?

Why don't you want to buy property in a foreign country?  :-/

I have been to Mexico several times as a single woman. I have been to Mexico City, Merida and  several other cities. I have always travel by train, bus or plane. I haven't been there  with an rv but I a certainly planning on it. I have never found Mexico particularly dangerous.

BigT said:
I don't want to take this thread off topic, and maybe this question won't, but could you expand on that a little?

Why don't you want to buy property in a foreign country?  :-/

In Mexico, there are a crap-ton of hoops to jump through and all business is transacted in Spanish. So unless you're fluent in Spanish legalese, or you have a bilingual attorney (you'll need an attorney, not just an RE agent) whom you trust 100%, you could end up badly surprised. Not that anyone is necessarily trying to screw you, it's just that you might not understand some critical things. And, in Mexico, you're really buying a 99-year lease on the property. You don't actually own it. That has implications, including the government changing its ideas about foreigners owning property. And if, for some reason, things turn bad and you need to flee the country, you're leaving property behind. Meanwhile, if you were just renting, everything is far less complicated. And if you get tired of one place, it's easy to just pack up and go somewhere else.

I want to drive thru Mexico to get to Brazil , Seen a guy on Youtube  do it in a VW van , he had alot of engine problems along the way but his engine was so small he was able to take it out and repair it and then install and be on his way , he had his engine out quite a few times.

Bast said:
I have been to Mexico several times as a single woman. I have been to Mexico City, Merida and  several other cities. I have always travel by train, bus or plane. I haven't been there  with an rv but I a certainly planning on it. I have never found Mexico particularly dangerous.

I have been several times as well, all driving. If you ever have to deal with a mechanic or haggling for parts or fuel you will very quickly find that the men will be more offended if you know anything about this stuff that if you just let them rule that roost.

It's not more dangerous to be a woman than a man IMO, its a pretty misogynist mindset there in most rural areas still though.

Crossing the border in an RV is different too. It's all cool but be prepared for some odd questions as they look.at every single thing in your rig.

Do some research before you try to drive to Brazil. I am planning a driving trip to at least Panama. However, the American Highway is more of a concept than a road. Central America is very difficult both mechanically and politically.

First off, when someone considers moving abroad they visit the location. Problem is they visit during the nicest part of the year. If you do buy property you need to live there for a year first. You need to experience all four seasons.

I recommend living close to a local standard of living. Some people buy property and spend so much upgrading it that when time comes to sell it they can't get their money out of it because they have out priced the local market. They need another expat to buy it.

Also, most expats hit a wall in the first five years. Many of the things about local culture seemed charming in the beginning but they can become annoying. Things might move at a slower pace which can be nice but sometimes you really need to get something done. Home repairs in the US can be done in a day or two. It might take two weeks to get a water heater replaced in even metropolitan areas if you are an expat.

So when you do hit that wall and you want to go home. You pickup and leave. Now you have two properties to maintain. Eventually it becomes taxing economically and you might need to sell at a loss.

I also think that most expats don't learn the local language and this can be very isolating if you don't have expats nearby.

Anyway, just a few of my thoughts.

Bast said:

I was wondering if the news reports they have are all that coming from the country in entirety, or just localized gang activity...Not planning on ever going to Mexico, but who knows what can happen?

Yes, sometime this fall or winter. It will be my first time in the country for longer than a few hours. I will be backpacking, busing, and staying in homes or hostels, traveling under the radar. My Explorer will be parked long-term at the border or left with a friend. Too much risk of jail with all the ammo and casings scattered around. Driving an unfamiliar SUV with a light rack, all terrain tires, and tinted windows through a cartel controlled town will merit heavy scrutiny at best. Compare to a grungy backpacker slumming around with the peons and riding second class buses. I have no idea where I will go or how long I will stay, whether I will grow tired of the culture in a week or find the love of my life.

@Wanderer: The cartels are concentrated along drug trafficking corridors and growing/manufacturing regions throughout the country, as well as the frontera (border region). Borderland Beat is a great website to keep up with the endless machinations of Mexican narcopolitics. Many parts of the country are outside those corridors, though.

I loved traveling in Mexico, but my last trip sent me home with three different infections (salmonella, e-coli, and a third one I can't remember), I was very sick for a long time. For some reason I seem to be prone to that sort of thing so my travels will be US and Canada in the foreseeable future.