Any woodcarvers out there

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are a lot of wood carving opportunities that are compatible with life in a small mobile space. Just think small as in small tools and small sized projects. I have some very nice "block cutters". Block cutters are a traditional wood carving tool use for cutting the wood plaques used for block printing. But they do come in the standard types of sweeps that larger wood carving tools have. The difference being of course in the width of the tool and the length of the handle. You push them with hand pressure instead of using a mallet on them. Not just for wood block cutting, I use them to carve necklace pendants, lids for small boxes, scale model furniture, they are good for model ship figureheads, carving walking canes, etc.

My favorite block cutters are the ones made in England by Ashley Iles company. They are sold in the USA by "Tools for Working Wood".

KC

Have you checked out AdventureVanMan on YouTube? One of his many talents is woodcarving.

Got some tools but haven't started yet. It does seem like a nice compact hobby, though some materials can be pricey if not found.

Ashley Iisles, I've heard, are wonderful.
I'd forgotten Adventureman carves.
I have a set of miniature push tools which I've used to carve on hiking sticks.
I found that quaking aspen is wonderful if you carve it soon after chopping it down. Like cutting butter.

A good, inexpensive wood to try for smaller scale carving is basswood. You can find planks of it in hobby stores and even in some hardware stores.
Carvings do not have to be large to be fun. The one in this photo is just under 3 inches long, I have shown it in progress in this image. Celtic knot patterns are around for free on the internet.
celtic+knot.jpg

This is the piece when finished.
finished+panel.jpg

This is the completed piece in place inside of a 1:12 scale dollhouse. It is the front of a babies cradle bed inside of a European box bed.
bed+light+window.jpg

Wow, how cool. That takes a lot of patience and precision.

I always liked a part of the movie Trouble In Mind, in which Kris Kristofferson occupies himself by carving a replica of a section of his hometown in miniature.

I'm a woodcarver and I'm an expert out of making sawdust and getting splinters.

Have you ever carved Golfballs??

Take a golfball and find a PVC pipe cutter that looks kind of like a guillotine.. Work the blade around half of the golfball about 1/16" deep to remove half the cover. Inside the cover is a solid ball you can carve by hand with your knives or use an air or electric powered carver to make caricatures.

Here's a google page with some ideas for you to try: https://www.google.com/search?q=gol.....69i57j0l5.4669j1j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

You can carve a golfball in anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour. Painting is optional..

Wear a carving glove to make sure you start and finish with the same number of fingers.

Those are cute!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those are so awesome Tina. I burn up so
much good wood here it’s pathetic. I had to cut down a nice black walnut several years ago and couldn’t get anyone to take it. Had to shove it into the woods.

I also have a bunch of cane size sticks that are twirly from a vine growing up and into them. They will probably rot as well.

I have been eyeballing some big grapevines. You know the big kind that Tarzan can swing from. It would maybe make some cool crafts or furniture or something. I need more artsy fartsy people around here.

Kentucky is famous for it's large poison ivy vines so make sure before harvest. LOL!!!

Cammalu said:
Those are so awesome Tina. I burn up so
much good wood here it’s pathetic.  I had to cut down a nice black walnut several years ago and couldn’t get anyone to take it. Had to shove it into the woods.

I also have a bunch of cane size sticks that are twirly from a vine growing up and into them. They will probably rot as well.

I have been eyeballing some big grapevines. You know the big kind that Tarzan can swing from. It would maybe make some cool crafts or furniture or something. I need more artsy fartsy people around here.
I can see it now.... Cammalu's Pond Vintage Trailer Complex for Artists in Residence. Artists make and take and also leave some cool art/art furniture for their host :) It could be a thing!

bullfrog said:
Kentucky is famous for it's large poison ivy vines so make sure before harvest. LOL!!!

Rut rough.

Ravella and X said:
I can see it now.... Cammalu's Pond Vintage Trailer Complex for Artists in Residence. Artists make and take and also leave some cool art/art furniture for their host :) It could be a thing!

Ha! Sounds fun. There are all kinds of things in the woods to craft from! I have some willow trees also. Willow furniture?

A seasonal appropriate project I made for a client around 25 years ago, A 1:12 custom dollhouse "Santa's Workshop. The wood I used for the timber framing is old growth Western Red Cedar from Washington State.
Screenshot_20211124-201351.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211124-201351.jpg
    Screenshot_20211124-201351.jpg
    443.6 KB · Views: 12
wow incredible work Maki2.
as for me, I hack around the campsite some and typically come up with something that I usually leave behind for others to enjoy. I hope it is not deemed littering or inappropriate.