Any thoughts on crock pots?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made a small heater using a .65 quart crock pot by placing it inside of a large terra cotta pot and then I topped the crock pot with another (smaller) terra cotta pot. Inside temps reach 165 degrees and the unit never gets too hot to touch. It's very similar to those DIY tea candle / terra cotta heaters but without the open flame and hot wax. I set it on a timer for one hour on and one hour off and it continues to radiate heat throughout the off hours.

I made a small heater using a .65 quart crock pot by placing it inside of a large terra cotta pot and then I topped the crock pot with another (smaller) terra cotta pot. Inside temps reach 165 degrees and the unit never gets too hot to touch. It's very similar to those DIY tea candle / terra cotta heaters but without the open flame and hot wax. I set it on a timer for one hour on and one hour off and it continues to radiate heat throughout the off hours.
Try Dollar Tree store's candle section, they have 6" plain emergency candles 6 or 8 to box for a buck. Great deal if you ever need the real thing. Have you thought about adding some thermal mass inside the crock to capture more heat?

Cheers

The crock pot is surrounded by a bunch of 1 inch pieces of 1/2 inch copper tubing but that's about it.

Your early years just make you better equipped for this lifestyle than many of us.

Your knowledge is invaluable to us here.
TY for your kind reply. It's very much appreciated.

I had the cuisinart version, and still treasure my crockpot. Dead simple and cheap, no need to replace anything ever.

I just learned to make fudge in my crock pot. Very yummy!

1 bag of chocolate chips. I like dark chocolate
1 can of sweetened condensed milk
1+/- tspn of vanilla
pinch 1/4 tsp salt
cook on lowest setting for 2 hours. Stir after cooking time and cool in a smallish pan lined with parchment paper.
very yumm. great gift

Last edited:
I just learned to make fudge in my crock pot. Very yummy! 1 bag of chocolate chips. I like dark chocolate 1 can of sweetened condensed milk 1+/- tspn of vanilla pinch 1/4 tsp salt cook on lowest setting for 2 hours. Stir after cooking time and cool in a smallish pan lined with parc in to pan parchment paper. very yummy. great gift
I just learned to make fudge in my crock pot. Very yummy! 1 bag of chocolate chips. I like dark chocolate 1 can of sweetened condensed milk 1+/- tspn of vanilla pinch 1/4 tsp salt cook on lowest setting for 2 hours. Stir after cooking time and cool in a smallish pan lined with parchment paper. very yummy. great gift
OPPS I goofed 2 bags of chips and leave the lid off and stir in any chopped nuts just before scooping. Also this goes from not done to done to overdone reaaalllly fast