Any Rock Hounds?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anewbiewannabe

Reaction score
I used to love going to the crystal mines when I was younger. Hope to be able to do it again one day. I've got friends that get a group together to go but I've not been in a position to participate---think it would be a fun group outting though. :)

Anybody else dig rocks? :cool:

I like rock hounding and spending time where interesting rocks can be found. Not all that knowledgeable about most of them and don't have a collection other than what few smaller ones I stick in my pockets when I kick around. lol My most interesting "rocks" are a couple of left over high grade silver ore I collected on an Arizona trip once. Has azurite and malachite showing on broken surfaces. Those rocks have some copper mixed in. Still have a small amount of tiny gold nuggets/dust and wires stored somewhere.

Haven't spent any time at any of the crystal mines but have walked miles at the Crater of Diamonds looking for that retirement rock. No luck on that yet.

besides chasing the yellow metal I do rock hounding. I search for whatever is in the area I am in. I have dug, Geodes, Oregon Sunstones, different types of Obsidian, Opals, various crystals, various minerals and fossils. I have great samples from all these. the Sunstones and Opals I particularly like. I have a few fire Opals I found and some killer Sunstones. you know Sunstones are only found in a few places in the world and one place is Oregon. when you search for Sunstones you get to visit Plush Oregon a small drinking town with a cattle problem. ha ha, it's true says so on the sign at the store. Plush is in the Oregon outback not a lot of gold but a lot of small towns that I love. warning go prepared. highdesertranger

HDR.. "go prepared"??? Prepared for drinking? LOL

I'll have to look up sunstones. I used to collect rocks. When I had to move all my stuff "back home" after a split with my significant other, I realized I had been carting around several totes of rocks weighing a few hundred pounds at least. With the van in my future back then, I sold off most of my show pieces of quartz crystal clusters (from back when Arkansas mines let you scavenge their waste piles) and fluorite, etc.

I so love it but vandwelling is not meant for a lot of collecting. I was in a porphyry area at Homestake Pass just before I came "back home" for the holidays... had a 5 gallon bucket of dazzling crystalline chunks.. not worth money but so pretty. Those were for my nephews.. yes, that's it... those were for my nephews. LOL

In the boonies, I always walk with my head down -- wouldn't want to miss something good! If I put my collection of rocks all in one place, it would probably weigh a few hundred pounds. I just like pretty rocks.

Just today, I learned that rental storage facilities have 5x5' units. A place to put the rocks!

In case you had to google it too:

Schiller21_74161705_std1.jpg

About Oregon Sunstone

I pick up pretty or interesting rocks, but know nothing about them... other than "pretty". Most of the time I'm staring up at the sky, so I miss a lot of the stuff on the ground.

I have many books about it, am more confused now than before. I do like the game of hide and seek, (I have several metal detectors). Never found any yellow stuff, (A few silver rings though). weather here is getting cooler. I might get out and do some metal hunting.

DannyB1954 said:
I have many books about it, am more confused now than before. I do like the game of hide and seek,  (I have several metal detectors). Never found any yellow stuff, (A few silver rings though). weather here is getting cooler. I might get out and do some metal hunting.

I am so ready for some of that!

The Sunstone digging has been on my want to list for a number of years along with sapphires in Montana. Can't leave out fire agates in Arizona. That may be the hardest access of the three. Also would love to have a good place for geodes. And probably a pack mule.

TrainChaser said:
In the boonies, I always walk with my head down -- wouldn't want to miss something good!  If I put my collection of rocks all in one place, it would probably weigh a few hundred pounds.  I just like pretty rocks.

Just today, I learned that rental storage facilities have 5x5' units.  A place to put the rocks!

Yeah! Storage unit! Didn't even think about my rock collection until after people started responding to this thread. Everything else is pretty easy to sort out for keeping or not. My rocks! I have a couple dozen geodes that will be hard for me to part with. I've got some pretty rocks too but they don't have quite the sentimental attachment.

BradKW said:
In case you had to google it too:

Schiller21_74161705_std1.jpg

About Oregon Sunstone

OMG!!! So that's a sunstone! *Adds Plush OR to her list too

Dennis said:
The Sunstone digging has been on my want to list for a number of years along with sapphires in Montana.  Can't leave out fire agates in Arizona. That may be the hardest access of the three.    Also would love to have a good place for geodes. And probably a pack mule.

Montana. Arizona. Arkansas for quartz. Back to Hiddenite for Hiddenite. Can't remember where we went to a ruby mine---anyone know where those are? Maybe Herkimer, NY for Herkimer diamonds....

there are Geodes beds south of Blythe off Willey Well Road. thought I would mention it because it's not far from Blythe, Ehrenburg, and not far from the Q. over the mountains from Palo Verde. also not far from the Oregon Sunstone area there is a banded Obsidian collecting area and a Thunder Egg(Geode) collecting area. highdesertranger

hdr, just those locations alone should keep a person busy for a long time. I was at one of the Houston Gem shows back in late 90's and saw a fella there with a bunch of geodes (Mexico I think) and he was cracking and selling them like hotcakes.

Here's something fun I did a number of years ago... an agate-hunting float trip down the Yellowstone River in eastern Montana. I think there are some rentals and/or guides out of Glendive. Yes, you have to really want to go to the area to get to Glendive, but if you are in the area... LOL

You drift along in the boat and stop at gravel bars on the sides or middle of the river...it is fairly shallow at the right times of the year. You get out and look for the pock-marked-potato sort of rocks. It is hard until you find one or two and then your eye starts zeroing in. So you have a lovely day floating on the river and you come back with some agates you'll have to cut or break to see the pretty part. But some of them are so beautiful.

A google search on Glendive agates should give more info for those interested.

I like to mine on the east coast. We go to northern Georgia, from Dahlonega to Helen, and in NC around the Franklin area. The various mines have been very productive over the years. Not too much luck with gold - only a couple small vials for a lot of labor invested, but better luck with gems. Here's a couple pics.

9kast4.jpg

What they look like before they are cut - not much.

2i11phk.jpg

After they're cut.
30vjfgj.jpg

Our latest find.

Plus, back east, you get to explore lush areas like this, not the harsh desert.
4rzukm.jpg

Chip

Latest posts