Any other swimmers/water lovers here?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Surfing is 95%+ paddling. Just had a quick session earlier, about 15 rides in 45 minutes. Basically Never stopped paddling. Nobody out on the main peak, had it all to myself, which makes it extra fun, even if the onshores caused some lump and bump.

Water temp had dropped by at least 5 degrees since Tuesday from upwelling. That first duckdive was a shocker in a short john wetsuit. Short legs, no arms, makes for funny tan lines.

Surf Contest going on at bell's beach, australia right now in inconsistent, but clean conditions..

http://www.worldsurfleague.com/events/2017/mct/1822/rip-curl-pro-bells-beach

Back in the pool yesterday, cannot believe they opened the outdoor pool already!!  The air temp is 50 right now and they won't open the outdoor one until it hits 60, but the damn water temp is still in the 50's, makes me ache big time... I'm so not young anymore. :p

If I got on a surfboard I'd probably fall off before I managed to pop up lol

ArtW said:
If I got on a surfboard I'd probably fall off before I managed to pop up lol

Unless you're one of those flexible scrawny yoga people, I think our popping up days are over.  The exception of course is lifelong surfers; one old dude at the beach has got to top out over 250 and he's my height (5'10"), but he still pops up like a kid.

Nope, I'm a big currently overweight recreational lifter, but I can still do burpees, just not a lot of them, and not much air time lol
My balance is not what it once was, and I don't catch myself in a fall like I used to, and i never surfed, though I have body boarded on a lake a few times

Queen said:
Swimming is my peace, my sanity, and my fitness.  It allows me to be whole and strong and capable again, I can say with complete truthfulness, I am far more comfortable in water than on land.

After a lifetime of competitive swimming, lifeguarding, surfing (very badly), and scuba diving, now I swim, kayak, snorkel... pretty much anything to get wet.

Any other water lovers out there?

Love the water! Used to live/play/work on the rivers of CO,UT,AZ, NM. Went through a period of swimming with wild dolphins (may have to do that again!), love to paddle anything, no pun intended!;-)
Last choice chlorinated H20, but try to get to the pool when I can...

IanC said:
I wouldn't call myself a swimmer per se, but in the last few days I've been taking advantage of my lake front spot.  Crazy, I'd been here for 4 days before the lightbulb went off and I thought "I'm ten feet from clear clean water and it's 80 degrees - duh!" Now I'm in the water a couple times a day. Going for a dip in about 5 minutes as a matter of fact.

What lake IanC?

I adore the water. If I could I'd live on a houseboat. That, however, is not in the plans as I have to accommodate 3 other people. When we boondock in Ehrenberg is there a public swimming pool that I could sign my son up for swim lessons? I can't seem to find an answer with google. I would love to be able to go swimming, if not every day, every second day.

eoewan said:
I adore the water. If I could I'd live on a houseboat. 

I spent a chunk of the summer on a houseboat back in the early 80's when I was getting my advanced scuba and rescue diver certs, what a good time!

eoewan said:
I adore the water. If I could I'd live on a houseboat. That, however, is not in the plans as I have to accommodate 3 other people. When we boondock in Ehrenberg is there a public swimming pool that I could sign my son up for swim lessons? I can't seem to find an answer with google. I would love to be able to go swimming, if not every day, every second day.

Try Blythe CA for that. Ehrenberg consists of 1 or 2 roads, a few mobile home parks and a truck stop with adjacent motel at the last exit before the Colorado river (CA border)...basically - ain't nothing there.... :D

Blythe is a 5 minute driver once you get to the paved road. Oh and a wave at the border/agricultural inspection guard!

I'm not a spiritual person per se, but i've always felt a connection to lakes, rivers, and streams. I was very lucky growing up, my grandparents owned a house on a small spring fed lake, it was crystal clear water. Also had a small stream you could canoe through to another smaller lake. Spent most my childhood in that water. Learned to water ski and swim before I could ride a bike. Exploring new rivers/streams in my motor canoe is one of, if not my most favorite way to spend an afternoon.