Any mechanics in the group?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you buy something else unless you go far newer you never know what condition the engine is. If you do your headgasket you do. The only way I would swap engines would be if the head gasket leak caused the heads to warp.

IMO

Scott3569 said:
***update****

I just went and vacuumed my van.. and investigated a little.. my interior is wet on both sides.  More on the passage side.  It is definitely not antifreeze.. but I also don't think it is just rain water.  

I'm thinking maybe my AC is draining into my cab???

I was down on coolant the other day.  So I know I am also losing coolant.  

But my latest theory is these are cfc two separate issues

If you want to temporarily stop the water from coming inside, clean the bottom of the windshield carefully.
Then run good quality (Scotch) electrical tape along the base of the windshield so that 1/2 of it is on the glass and 1/2 is on the plastic cowling.

On 1997 - 2007 Dodge Caravans this stops a leak from a common issue where the water follows the cowling and enters the vent openings behind it.
If it's coming from a separation of the windshield seal, rust or door seal, this won't help with that.

But I've put masking tape around my windshield and applied a thin film of black silicone sealant around it in such a way that you can't even tell it's there but it filled in a few small gaps and I haven't had a leak in 4 years now after doing it.

I've found Dodge Caravans to have a tendency be a bit leaky around the front from the factory.

For Coolant leaks, I've sometimes found them using UV dye in the coolant and at night, getting under the hood / car with a UV flashlight.
If they're external.  The coolant naturally glows but a dye makes it even more visible.

When your Caravan is up to operating temperature, is the top radiator hose soft? (use a glove, it will be VERY hot)
I'd bet it is.  That just tells you you do not have a sealed coolant system.

If I was losing coolant as fast as you are and a "mechanic" told me they could not find a leak, I'd find a better mechanic.

As others have said,there are foolproof methods to find leaks both internal and external.
You've had a lot of good suggestions. 
You're losing coolant.
You have a leak.

By any chance, does your Caravan have the rear heater setup ?

john*thomas said:
If you buy something else unless you go far newer you never know what condition the engine is. If you do your headgasket you do. The only way I would swap engines would be if the head gasket leak caused the heads to warp.

IMO
This is very similar to my thought process. The frame is good, the body needs work especially after the accident..  and the engine does run strong.  I am not put much coolant in each day. A 1/2 quart maybe..

The a/c works, I have no engine codes. 

No doubt I am losing coolant.  

Ttomorrow I believe I will pull the rear 3 plugs and check for scaling on the ceramic.  

It has been scorching heat here in lower upstate ny..

PeterPiper said:
If you want to temporarily stop the water from coming inside, clean the bottom of the windshield carefully.
Then run good quality (Scotch) electrical tape along the base of the windshield so that 1/2 of it is on the glass and 1/2 is on the plastic cowling.

On 1997 - 2007 Dodge Caravans this stops a leak from a common issue where the water follows the cowling and enters the vent openings behind it.
If it's coming from a separation of the windshield seal, rust or door seal, this won't help with that.

But I've put masking tape around my windshield and applied a thin film of black silicone sealant around it in such a way that you can't even tell it's there but it filled in a few small gaps and I haven't had a leak in 4 years now after doing it.

I've found Dodge Caravans to have a tendency be a bit leaky around the front from the factory.
I actually found the drainage from the AC system coming in on the passenger side up under the flood board.. I have already SEALED that area.  Now just waiting for it do dry

PeterPiper said:
For Coolant leaks, I've sometimes found them using UV dye in the coolant and at night, getting under the hood / car with a UV flashlight.
If they're external.  The coolant naturally glows but a dye makes it even more visible.

When your Caravan is up to operating temperature, is the top radiator hose soft? (use a glove, it will be VERY hot)
I'd bet it is.  That just tells you you do not have a sealed coolant system.

If I was losing coolant as fast as you are and a "mechanic" told me they could not find a leak, I'd find a better mechanic.

As others have said,there are foolproof methods to find leaks both internal and external.
You've had a lot of good suggestions. 
You're losing coolant.
You have a leak.

By any chance, does your Caravan have the rear heater setup ?
Yes actually it is Soft when it is at temp.

Short answer is yes.

It could be just a seep or the leak could seal itself when the engine heats up, everything expands when hot, Well except water.

Also depending on where the leak is it could actually add power by raising the compression ratio in one or more cylinders.

Lots of variables.

Highdesertranger

Mind you this is all speculation and "could happen" no two cases are the same. Highdesertranger

*****update*****

Ok so, I have just removed my spark plugs to take a look at them.. 

I did some research on this and if there was and scaling on them then that means that cylinder is getting coolant...

I did not see anything abnormal, then again I don't have a trained eye for it either.. 

Sooo, then I found the video below which I would like to get some opinions of if it is accurate or not.. 

Easy tests for a blown head gasket 

***if the above video is accurate, I have done several of these tests.  And all have come back for no coolant leak. ***

I am wondering if maybe my thermostat is cooked

I think all of those checks listed on the video except the gunk on the oil cap were mentioned by Bullfrog and other's posts above.

Too late now but if you could have taken close-up pics of the plugs others here on the forum could have a look at them.

What do you mean by a 'cooked' thermostat? Is the car overheating?

If stuck shut it will cause overheating.

Water does expand. It also contracts. Between zero C and 100 C. Water expands as heated to 100 C then phase changes to steam. Steam expands a lot. Water contracts to zero when it phase changes to ice. Ice expands, a lot. Strange substance that water.
Back on topic. Did you replace the radiator cap?

From everything I have read I am not yet convinced this a head gasket problem.  I would really like to see those spark plugs.  The one question I never saw asked was, what is the condition of the oil?  You are adding coolant every day.  Is the oil okay? A blown head gasket will often allow water into the oil.  If this happens the oil level will rise and look like a latte.  Also a blown head gasket will cause the engine to run rough.  Is the engine running smoothly?  

Are you adding coolant to the overflow bottle or to the radiator?  If the over flow bottle isn't part of the pressurized system then it wouldn't show up as a failure when the system is pressure tested.  If the radiator itself is never low, the overflow bottle might have the leak.  it seems unlikely, but still possible.   
There is another possibility.  a non pressurized overflow bottle is designed to be filled to a set point.  If it's filled to the top, the system can vent pressure into the overflow bottle causing it to spill over and that would show up as a coolant loss.  

If you are adding coolant to the radiator regularly then the cap could be installed wrong causing loss of pressure.     

The people who checked the system did they check the radiator cap?  If you have always had this problem it could be the cap may fit, but it is designed for a lower pressure system.  Did they just pressurize the system for a minute or did they put it under pressure, and checked to see if it was holding after say a half an hour?  You might have a very slow leak, only happening once the engine is warm and metal parts have expanded, .  Such a leak wouldn't happen while the vehicle is sitting because the system is cool and not under pressure.  Such a small drip could seem invisible because it can either evaporates from engine heat or is dispersed onto the road.    
I don't remember mention of how much coolant was being added and how often.  

It's unlikely, but there is a chance that the cooling system is leaking into the transmission through a broken cooling coil in the radiator.  Have you checked your transmission fluid?

Until you get the leak fixed you might want to add straight water because there is no point in spending money on coolant you can't keep in your system. Just bear in mind water can freeze and crack your engine block if you are in a area where temperatures drops below freezing.  Straight water will also allow the system to corrode so fix the problem and use proper a proper water/coolant mix as once it's right.   

If it really is a combustion chamber leak, (blown head gasket, cracked or warped head) then any 'head gasket in a can" is at best a bad gamble.  I have seen them work, and I have seen them fail.  Even it it does work, your engine will never be rebuildable and it's time to start saving up for either for a new engine or a new vehicle. 
A new engine is far better than a head gasket, but money is always always a factor.  I dropped a used engine into Honda and it ran like a swiss watch for years until I sold it, but that was a chance that could have gone bad.  
I have never had a problem with Bars Leak for sealing small pressure leaks, but it is at best a stop gap and not a fix.  There are a lot of "stranded in the desert" tricks that do the same job that will work.   Some ground black pepper or fine saw dust in the radiator can block a tiny leak for as long as the engine stays running, but once you shut it off it will likely fail.  A raw egg into the radiator will seal a small leak. Keep in mind that these stop gaps will also cause blockages in cooling system that at the very least will require serious flushing.  A clogged system can cause overheating and engine damage so these hacks are 'emergency only and at your own risk' for when all other options are exhausted.  A tow truck and a minor repair costs a lot less than an engine, so choose wisely.