Any Decent Hotels Under $500 per Month To Get Off Road A While?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hi. Once north of Great Falls, MT I wound up in a small, middle-of-nowhere town last winter and I saw a sign that they had an extended stay for around $500 per month. I didn't inquire more since I was there just a few days. Does anyone know of any decent motels with extended stays in the USA? I'm in the western states right now but I'm open to going [/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]elsewhere. I got the impression the hotel in MT had a low rate due to low check ins due the winter. Maybe it was due to C-19. But if it was due to the weather is the opposite true in the summer? Do places with extreme heat have hotels with affordable extended stay in summer? [/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/font]

If you have a rig, many RV parks (in AZ) have low annual rates and could become your new home base.

If you are paying $2000 per year space rent that comes out to about $170 per month plus electricity.
-crofter

Just one area for comparison, the cheapest monthly rate I know of in the Wenatchee, WA area is $1,200/mo. I know because I was looking for someone. And one of those just raised the rate by $200/mo at the beginning of June.

All the RV parks here in the valley are full and have been since late summer last year. I called around about those too. One I was really interested in was $575/mo with full hook ups and wifi.

RV park spaces in the Klamath National Forest are about 350-400 monthly. There are few rentals right now as the fire victims rented them, but there are still RV park spaces available. Vandwelling is okay in the RV parks I've stayed at here.

I doubt you will find any housing besides an RV in a long term park that can be had for that especially since you would have some utility bills as well. Probably the best deal would be what I call an "old man job" that comes with housing such as a shuttle driver, desk clerk or information desk person. Escapees Care Center in Livingston Texas is always looking for volunteers and furnishes a full hookup site and some meals in return for helping with their older members. If you need assisted living they have a waiting list but last I checked it was around $800 a month for a single person with an RV and $1200 for a couple. Many RV parks in Arizona and the Escapees parks around the country with cheap rates or long term deals and after the extra payment for electricity will be under $500 a month. Last I looked for long term stay motels they were $1200 to $1500 a month in most areas. I doubt you could rent a bed in a private house for $500 for a month now. You might buy a mobile home in southern Arizona in a mobile home community and pay a lot rent of less than $500 a month and possibly keep your electric bill down enough to stay below $500 a month but I doubt it. Some park owners were basically giving older mobile homes away to get a lot rental year before last.

Ultimately a supply and demand thing. Some places seem like they should be cheap, like western ND, but they are expensive because of low supply and high demand.
-crofter

Try looking at the OR valley areas south of Eugene. Lots of old hotels. And some of the long term RV parks may have a wait list but last I checked a couple years ago most run under $500. Probably changed a bit.

Hello,
I have found great private land, long term parking on Craigslist. All have supplied electric, water, and trash. Private land owners outside city limits looking to put some easy cash in their pockets.

Craigslist/city/for rent/ enter search words like long term parking, etc
It takes some digging

I found some under Parking/Storage classifications as well.

Another determining factor is what you consider a "Decent Hotel". At $16 a night you can't expect too much "Decent".

Guy