another insurance thread :)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhilD1954

Supporting Member
Reaction score
just bought a 1983 chevy class c. particulars are fleetwood, jamboree rallye, aprox 24 feet.

in talking with my insurance agent by phone, i decided on full coverage, including collision and liability, because i cant add it later but i can cancel it later.

since i'm new to this, is there anything else to consider? extra $ on payouts for liability? and or collision? and or theft of vehicle and contents?

dont know how this works so am asking for what do you do about your coverage.
which areas of your policy do you bulk up on to protect yourself?
uninsured, under insured? i have this on my pickup truck.
theft of contents?
looking for insights and advice.
thanks for loooking. and sharing.
phil

Do you know what they'd payout in case of a total on a 40 year old rig? I flew prewar 1930s planes & we bought insurance by the payout. I also buy a 1 million $$ umbrella policy which lets me lower my liability on all my other insurance. Usually cost $100-$150 per year so it saves me more than it cost & I get better coverage.

Are you, and then did you tell them, living in your RV full time?

Do you know what they'd payout in case of a total on a 40 year old rig? I flew prewar 1930s planes & we bought insurance by the payout. I also buy a 1 million $$ umbrella policy which lets me lower my liability on all my other insurance. Usually cost $100-$150 per year so it saves me more than it cost & I get better coverage.
would like to know how this works. never heard of it.

An accident wouldn't have to be very serious at all for the ins. company to count it as a total loss. They are going to only pay you what the 'book value' is and for an '83 that won't be all that much. You can contest it but it's usually all for naught. They have all the power. It may be possible to get ins. that pays replacement value but it probably won't be cheap.

Check with your agent what the difference in premium would be for just liability vs. full coverage. Most people choose not to pay for full-coverage on an older vehicle and save the $ instead. How about comprehensive? You might consider getting that but no collision. That would cover other types of damage. Picking a higher deductible will keep your premiums down.

An accident wouldn't have to be very serious at all for the ins. company to count it as a total loss. They are going to only pay you what the 'book value' is and for an '83 that won't be all that much. You can contest it but it's usually all for naught. They have all the power. It may be possible to get ins. that pays replacement value but it probably won't be cheap.

Check with your agent what the difference in premium would be for just liability vs. full coverage. Most people choose not to pay for full-coverage on an older vehicle and save the $ instead. How about comprehensive? You might consider getting that but no collision. That would cover other types of damage. Picking a higher deductible will keep your premiums down.
i have to get it all for now or i wouldn't be able to add it later, but i can cancel parts of it later.
so i put up the question to see who has what kind of coverage.
thanks.

With what you want in mind (like collision), did you ask them how much they would pay if you filed a claim 2 months from now? If not, do it. Also ask if it's RC (Replacement Cost) or ACV (Actual cash value), and what they would pay if it's totaled.

Also ask about the difference in premium between a low deductible ($0 or $100), and a high one ($1,000).

In other words, ask about What -Ifs.

On my end with the old planes I'd just buy $25k in insurance cause how are the going to value a 40 year Motorhome or 84 YO plane? So you must agree on a value & have it stated in the policy.

No comp and collision on my 1989 Tioga.
Minimal liability policy as required by the state, currently Nevada.