another crackdown in Ehrenberg

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highdesertranger

R.I.P HDR
Reaction score
I get the Desert Messenger(Quartzsite Paper) E-mailed to me every month.  in this month issue they talked about another crackdown in Ehrenberg.  this time on state trust land and they refer to the people as trespassers.  they don't  portray them in a positive light.  the article is on page 5,

http://www.epageflip.net/t/6362-desert-messenger

this is a PFD file of the paper,  that's how it comes to me.  just thought I would pass it along.

highdesertranger

Wow- they make it sound exactly like slab city. Was it really that bad? I camped there in 2017 and it was pretty clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow. I was there in the beginning of this year and I didn't see any people where I was camped. I guess I'm going to have to get a good Map and find out where BLM vs. State land in trust is. They're going to be really really touchy for a long time now.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

I just checked and most of the land around Ehrenberg is either Arizona trust land(state land) or BOR land(Bureau of Reclamation) any BLM land is a ways off at least 2 miles as the crow flies. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
BLM land is a ways off at least 2 miles as the crow flies. highdesertranger

I'd that to the South or East?

for excellent maps on land ownership I use "My Land Matters" it's free here is a link,

http://mylandmatters.org/

they have all kinds of cool maps. much better than google maps, Del Lorme, Bench Mark or any map I have seen online, as you can overlay USGS Topo Maps or satellite images over their maps. like I mentioned it's free to look at their maps as much as you want. if you like their service they will except donations but it is not necessary, I am a subscriber of their premium service but that has to do with prospecting.

highdesertranger

Geo the BLM land is to the southeast. there is BLM to the west but I didn't look to see how far. go to that link I provided above and go to Land Status. highdesertranger

Here's a map of state trust land around Ehrenberg. The article said it was the area near the I-10 on/off ramp.

Map is from Arizona State Land Department. 
https://land.az.gov 
State trust land is blue.
IMG_0238a.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0238a.jpg
    IMG_0238a.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 43
Thanks HDR I'll check that site out soon as I get time it's prepac today, tomorrow I move.

bonvanroulez said:
Here's a map of state trust land around Ehrenberg. The article said it was the area near the I-10 on/off ramp.

Map is from Arizona State Land Department. 
https://land.az.gov 
State trust land is blue.
From your map I can understand why I didn't see any people. I was somewhere else. Still it is gonna be touchy around there for a while. When they spend that much money they
get real cranky.

Unfortunately, if you look very closely at the blue squares on the azland parcel page from post #8 and similar, and compare to the coordinates for the Caravans from last winter on google maps, 33.585505, -114.471812, it looks like the caravans were actually located on trust land and not BLM, ie on KE-Lease - 5 - 86827, TL Cattle Company. Looks like the southern boundary of the blue is precisely at: 33.580661, -114.476198 on Ehrenberg-Cibola Rd. Someone double check? Helps to select "Terrain" on google maps.

I know that I was camped right at: 33.588793, -114.484005, not with the caravans. However, I don't remember any trust land signs like I saw elsewhere.

Prior to putting in the roundabout, there were people camped just east of the interchange, along that downhill stretch. It was the type of settlement described in the article. They were chased off and cleaned up after. No one was camped there the last time I passed through this spring.

There were also about a half dozen abandoned, wrecked trailers up on the mesa with trash and debris scattered around them. Those got cleared out at about the same time. There seemed to be only a couple of new derelict sites when I was there after RTR.

MrNoodly said:
Prior to putting in the roundabout, there were people camped just east of the interchange, along that downhill stretch. It was the type of settlement described in the article. They were chased off and cleaned up after. No one was camped there the last time I passed through this spring.

There were also about a half dozen abandoned, wrecked trailers up on the mesa with trash and debris scattered around them. Those got cleared out at about the same time. There seemed to be only a couple of new derelict sites when I was there after RTR.
In December 2018 or early Jan 2019, there was a big cleanup in Ehrenberg up on the mesa. Covered on many youtuber videos. Several tons of junk were collected. From these latest blue maps, it appears that both the cleanup and the caravans, given the GPS coordinates, took place on AZ trust land and not BLM land. 

Very confusing. There were many many people camping there as well as caravans 2 and 3 when I was there.

The campers always get blamed but during that cleanup last year there were loads and loads of stuff obviously brought out there and dumped. Shoot there was even a boat.

I don’t know if another organized clean up will take place this year out there or not. There were quite a few volunteers but also quite a few that never lifted a hand to actually do the work. They were just there to add to their YouTube channels. That was more than annoying to me.

Lots of folks partaking of free food and not helping either.

I had my UTV and in the morning I’d ask around if anyone wanted to go collect. I heard every excuse in the book but some didn’t even try to hide the fact that they weren’t there to work and flat said so.

There were those that were busting butt too but MANY never lifted a finger.

I helped a few days then left.

sorry I thought everybody on a computer knew what a PFD file is. but alas I can't even tell you what it stands for.

what's a PFD? hell if I know, it's a type of computer file for viewing large files and documents. someone with a lot more computer savvy is going to need to explain it more than that,

highdesertranger

I think HDR meant PDF (portable document format). It is a file type widely used and owned by Adobe.

hahaha yep you are right B and C. boy I messed that one up, LOL. thanks. highdesertranger

You are right waaay more than wrong HDR. You know vehicles and such more than I do. Stuff has changed so much over the years.

Cammalu said:
The campers always get blamed but during that cleanup last year there were loads and loads of stuff obviously brought out there and dumped. Shoot there was even a boat.  
Much of the junk picked up had obviously been there for many years. There seems to be some mass delusion going on, re the Ehrenberg site. 
I watched a number of videos and the cleanup, as well as the place everyone camps up there, was quite obviously on the flat mesa and right in the blue zone on the land trust maps. In her video, PandaMonium drove up there, and read every sign but didn't mention seeing any trust land signs. And I've seen other vids over the past year with people calling this BLM land. And I'm sure I've heard people mentioning talking to BLM rangers about the site.