AND NOW THIS: I think I fried my controller! :s

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sofisintown

Reaction score
So my battery was full to the brim and the controller was making this happy face, so I decided to charge the Bluetti from the 1500 MSW watt inverter (there is a setting for "110/120 volt" charging).
So the Bluetti starts sucking 450 watts out of the inverter, and I thought 'ok, that will be a fast job.' But the inverter after a while apparently shut down after if it gave up the last drop of power, or did something else, who knows what, because I was sleeping and didn't see a thing.

When I woke up, the sun was high, the breaker was flipped, the house battery was empty, and the Bluetti was only up to 92 from 88%.

So, now, I know, that First you connect the battery, and Last you connect the panels.

When I woke up, the battery was disconnected because the breaker was open, and the panels were cooking the controller, which was flashing a totally empty battery.

I disconnected the Bluetti in panic and closed the breaker, I almost prayed, and 20 minutes later, the battery showed full. Not possible, eh? It also showed that it is 300 AH, then 200 AH which is just not so, because the battery pack is only 110 AH (2x55)and the controller was very-very sick and hallucinating, and I hit that button that says Restore Factory Settings, and it still is acting up.
I have the manual with me and I will read it tomorrow, to see if education can solve my problem.
In the meantime, does any of you experienced folk know of any remedy other than the usual over the counter medication? (i.e.: Go to the store and get another)

Cause every time I smell in the air smoke or rubber burning and such, I pull over and check the car to see if I caught fire, but them stuff are not even warm.....

Cheers!

I always recommend PSW inverters for any kind of electronic device (laptops, chargers, TVs, etc) and only suggest a fallback to MSW inverters for simple heat-generating resistance element items like crockpots, toasters, electric skillets, etc. 

The charging circuit in the Bluetti is probably not compatible with incoming modified sine wave AC power. This is probably the start of your cascading issues.

Next, the current being required exceeded the breaker value and opened the circuit, causing the controller to go...bonkers. That's a highly technical term...lol.

If your controller has a 'happy face' or 'sad face' I presume it's a cheapo controller and yeah...you should probably buy a better controller. But maybe if you disconnect all power from it (solar and battery) and let it sit unpowered for a while...it might reset/reboot and be able to recover. 

If it IS fried, give it a proper burial in the nearest dumster or mail it to me and I will put it up on a stand and put some bullets thru it....just for fun!

:D  < happy face, means I'm fully charged..or something like that.

Always best to read the manual before you do anything else. Try to understand each section, each step, before acting.

Wow,  that whole scenario is frightening.

tx2sturgis said:
I always recommend PSW inverters for any kind of electronic device (laptops, chargers, TVs, etc) and only suggest a fallback to MSW inverters for simple heat-generating resistance element items like crockpots, toasters, electric skillets, etc. 

The charging circuit in the Bluetti is probably not compatible with incoming modified sine wave AC power. This is probably the start of your cascading issues.

Next, the current being required exceeded the breaker value and opened the circuit, causing the controller to go...bonkers. That's a highly technical term...lol.

If your controller has a 'happy face' or 'sad face' I presume it's a cheapo controller and yeah...you should probably buy a better controller. But maybe if you disconnect all power from it (solar and battery) and let it sit unpowered for a while...it might reset/reboot and be able to recover. 

If it IS fried, give it a proper burial in the nearest dumster or mail it to me and I will put it up on a stand and put some bullets thru it....just for fun!

:D  < happy face, means I'm fully charged..or something like that.
The controller is Epever, not the worst kind. But the inverter (Shumacher 1500) is Modified wave, and produces this jumpy wave (another highly technical term). At some pont I counld see the shunt going 13.6...11.2...12.9 every one second. It was throwing volts to the Bluetti in a really jumpy way.
Now the Bluetti has a million and a half safety blocks and protections, and after a while got irritated and shut the inverter out. That tripped the breaker, and the inverter having no one to feed was flashing red-green-red-green.
I don't try to feed the Blu via inverter anymore with AC, but it charges with DC- however a lot slower.
Today all day, the controller fully charged the batteries a couple of times, so it is not broken.
But the inverter has some kind of malady I can not diagnose. With full battery, it did not have enough power to turn a hand blender.
I will check it tomorrow, when I get home.

I am glad I have 2 separate systems though, or I would have been in a tight corner this past week..