"America the beautiful" pass. worth it for me?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turnip4545

Reaction score
I'm considering the purchase of
https://store.usgs.gov/pass/index.html
I'm new to camping in my van and am having trouble finding spots. I thought I'd be able to just find BLM/National Forest close to me and camp anywhere but of course that's not the case. I'm ok with paying, but not so much with registering and filling out things on site. As long as I can just drive into the area (with my pass) and park there I'm ok with that.

Now can I do this with the pass above? I'm not clear if I can use it for dry camping (BLM/NFS) or if it's just to visit national monuments/areas of interest for free. Such as Grand Canyon?

You might read the information contained in that link, for an overview of what that pass does for you.

The Pass gets you admitted to a NP with a fee, and half off campsites.

I'm new to camping in my van and am having trouble finding spots. I thought I'd be able to just find BLM/National Forest close to me and camp anywhere but of course that's not the case. I'm ok with paying, but not so much with registering and filling out things on site. As long as I can just drive into the area (with my pass) and park there I'm ok with that.

Now can I do this with the pass above? I'm not clear if I can use it for dry camping (BLM/NFS) or if it's just to visit national monuments/areas of interest for free. Such as Grand Canyon?

Its for access to National parks at no charge or a discount. Should list everything you need to know in that link.

I got one this year and it was basically a wash. Free admittance to Shenandoah both times I passed through and i did it at the initial entrance where they would charge to get in. Just show them the card and drive through.

As far as just driving into the area and parking there, that's not how it works. Pass or not you will need to sign and pay for your spot with the ranger since most NTL parks have designated spots monitored by a ranger. BLM is totally different.

I'm new to camping in my van and am having trouble finding spots. I thought I'd be able to just find BLM/National Forest close to me and camp anywhere but of course that's not the case.
What location? Varies considerably. You can search state-by-state.

https://www.blm.gov/programs/recreation/camping
Or check on some of the free camping sites:

https://freecampsites.net/
https://www.campendium.com/free-camping
https://thedyrt.com/magazine/lifestyle/complete-guide-free-camping/
Many of the national parks are very popular depending on the season and camping reservations are required.

If you are eligible for the America the Beautiful pass and funds are a bit tight buy it one year at a time for $20. Save that physical pass card each year, do not toss them out. Each of those yearly America the Beatiful passes can then be turned in for a $20 credit when you want to get the lifetime pass.

I got the 80 buck pass in feb 2020 right before the pandemic closure and never got to use it again.

so then other than a few spots on blm land out-west there is no where I can just drive by and park anywhere in the continental United States?

There are many places in the continental United States that you can just drive to and camp. Scroll up in this thread to slow2day's post for some good links. Also, look at your Texas thread for tx2sturgis's post.

You still have to register with the pass, you just get either free or a percentage off of campsites. All in all, I think it's a good deal.

I use it. As a disabled vet the lifetime membership is $10.00. The parks I've stayed in have amazing areas to camp in, but yes, you have to stop and pay $10.00 camp site fee.

so then other than a few spots on blm land out-west there is no where I can just drive by and park anywhere in the continental United States?
You should have a good map app for navigation, like PocketEarth, which is my personal favorite.

As you plan out where you wish to travel, public lands are usually in green and labeled.

You can often see campground icons within these, that you can click on for a name then use a campground app to see specifics, or do a search for that body of land to see whether dispersed camping is allowed.

If lands are not public, they are private, and without permission you would be considered trespassing.

That said, there are plenty of places to be at little or no cost around the country, as you will read in the links provided and in threads here.

Some are outstanding, some not so much, but it’s all part of the experience.

Go, explore, and find your way.

It’s an adventure. :)

I was lucky when I got my lifetime pass it's cost was only $10.00. that has saved me lots of money on fee's. it's first use paid for it's self.

Me, too. Ten bucks, before 45 raised it without warning 😉. But even at $80 it will eventually pay for itself.
I pretty much avoid all NP camping, but there are various other ways I find it useful. Like when I want to enter any NP (Lassen or Crater Lake are close by) to hike or xcountry ski. Also, there are many great campgrounds run by BLM or USFS that cost half with the Pass. I generally don't like paying, but as little as three buck for a campsite is pretty doable.

BLM land is huge, like 245 million acres. But yes, you cant just drive and park anywhere. Check local laws too, you could go to jail for sleeping in your vehicle.

Relative got me one for my birthday last month.
I'm not a vet or a senior so it's just the regular $80 one year thing.
So far it's only saved me money on entering national parks.
Campsites are the same price.
I'm just getting into researching where I can camp for free or cheap with it in the SE.
What with the new covid spreading and a cold wave swooping down next week.
Gonna head down to FL or GA. My van gets uncomfortable in 20's!

As a disabled vet, I got my lifetime pass for $10.00. I went to Wyoming last June and visited Yellowstone and Teton and got in for free....so I got my $10 back. I have a 5 year plan to visit every national park, national monument, and national historic site in the US. The total entrace fee for all the national parks is over $1700, so a great investment for me!