America the beautiful access pass

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Greetings,  I hope this is posted in the correct forum?

Has anyone taken advantage of the USGS America the beautiful access pass? If so would you mind sharing your experience?

Thanks in advance, 

Jeff and Lynnette

I have the lifetime senior pass. It was only $10 when I got mine. It is great for visiting fee areas. There is also 50% off camping in a lot of the parks. Hand them your drivers license and the pass and they hand it back asking if you need maps or brochures. It will all depend on how often you go (and stay at a campground) if it is worth it to you. If you're a senior, get it, you won't be disappointed if you travel.

https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/passes.htm#CP_JUMP_5088578

They're great if you're going to spend a lot of time in areas with a good number of facilities. The version for seniors also gets you half off campsite fees at Forest Service, BLM and other federally managed campgrounds

I just used it for half off in NC. One trip and it paid for itself. Life time senior pass for me.

I've found it really great for boondocking as you can use all the services (most around me have free showers, wifi, shady areas, fishing and swimming beaches) and enjoy the park and surrounding area then sleep on BLM land just outside the park at night for free. No major grocery for many miles so stock up. Most parks out west have BLM land nearby. If you have a disability you fill out a form at the gate and the pass is free for entrance to all National Parks and 1/2 off on most camping.

I have heard that some campgrounds in state parks also give a 50% discount to us holders of the federal "geezer card." Who sez getting old and decrepit is all bad?  :)

Some military also get the "access" pass even if they are not disabled. Maybe this is only for new vets.

The annual pass is good if you don't qualify for the access or senior pass, gives you free admission to national parks and other federal day use, but no camping discount.

Its silly to not have one if you can stop talking about your 1960's glory days long enough  :cool:

Ordered and received mine last week. :):) It came really quickly.. in just ? 3 or 4 days.
I'm gonna love it!

I got the senior lifetime pass as soon as I could. They were going up in price from $20 to $80, so I bought two, (in case I lost one).
I used it this last trip out to get into the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. I have a truck camper so having the use of a free dump and water station was nice.
I am self contained in the truck camper, but if I go camping this winter a half price electrical hook up would be great. Most parks are almost empty when the nights start to chill.

Active duty members of the military and their dependents can pick up a free annual pass to all national parks. Disabled veterans can get a free lifetime pass. The passes provide free entrance to more than 2,000 national parks, wildlife refuges, national forests, and other federal recreational areas. The passes can be acquired at any national park that usually charges an admission fee. More information about the passes can be found at www.nps.gov/findapark/passes.htm.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

VanForNow said:
I have heard that some campgrounds in state parks also give a 50% discount to us holders of the federal "geezer card." Who sez getting old and decrepit is all bad?  :)

maybe you are old and decrepit but that is far from true for many of us just because we the calendar says we are 65.

You are only as old as you think you are and it sounds to me like you are at least 110. Just using that age because I have know a couple of seniors who are still doing daily jogging at 100 +

I have seen a few county parks in Washington state that honor the Federal Senior Pass.

4 more years and I will have mine in hand....I hope the price holds :) I sure don't want to pay more, absolutely I will be getting one....it saves some good bucks! good perks.

VanforNow, so agree with ya!! Getting old and decrepit hits us all at some point....might as well have a healthier wallet because of it!! lol

Hey I never even thought about this. This is great. I qualify for the free access pass as I'm disabled.

All Disabled Veteran regardless of age or disability award from the VA can get the Access Pass for FREE. You will need a letter of award from the VA.

Sofisintown said:
I received my 'America The Beautiful' lifetime pass today, after an one month and one week wait! :D 

Now I can put ONE item on the plus column for being a senior! :thumbsup:

Only one???? I'm finding that being a senior has many pluses. The major one being that now I really do know what I wished I knew then!

But yes, that pass paid for itself the first year I had it. If it cost twice as much, it would still be an extremely good deal.

And a side note - 5 weeks was how long I waited to get it in the mail, before Covid. So that's one tiny corner of the gov still working as it should.

I'm a disabled vet and I paid $10 for mine a couple of years ago. The funny thing is.....so fare everywhere I have gone that usually needed the pass, allowed me to enter for free due to construction or some other odd thing. But I know I will get my use out of it. Years ago it seemed like ever where we went wanted entry fees......so getting in for free will be great! Going to one national park will return my $10 investment.