Amazon Solar List

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott3569

Reaction score
Ok, so here is my solar list.. I choose this 200w panel because I am hope that maybe I will not need two.. (before I was thinking 2 100w)

https://www.amazon.com/Newpowa-Mono...&keywords=solar+panels&qid=1625009843&sr=8-20

I am going with this charge controller and a battery Isolator it actually comes out cheaper than a Dc-DC charge controller.. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075NPQHQK/ref=ewc_pr_img_2?smid=A17NPQT5SHP48A&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08D3P4V8X/ref=ewc_pr_img_1?smid=AJSZRIYF4FRSK&psc=1

Questions:
1. is there anything else I will need to purchase(not including the battery)

2. What are you opinions on this Solar panel? any of you have it? 

3. will i need any extra wiring. mounts, or anything of that nature?

You might consider buying the 30 amp controller as if you find you need more charging you can just add a panel and not have to buy another controller. You will need a way and mount to elevate the panel as they work better with some air flow cooling them underneath. you will need an MC 4 plug and tool if it doesn't come with them and probably more wire unless 3' will do. A couple fuses and holders. Terminal ends or solder for the wires where they connect to the controller. A couple bus bars, couple battery cables to the bus bars some military style battery terminals, battery box, hold downs and a fuse block. Wire ties. protective loom, heat shrink tubing and electrical tape. Seems there is always more stuff needed! Lol!!!

LMAO you know I considered the 30A before, and in another thread I felt like I was lead to believe that maybe 30 was much more than I really need for a while.. I mean really how much do you think I will have in a minivan.. I plan to have it for at least another year..

Does this fuse box act as a bus bar also?

https://www.amazon.com/Circuit-nega...ywords=bus+bar+fuse+box&qid=1625018287&sr=8-9

I have tape, not worried about shrink wrap I have liquid electrical tape

^^^It is more than you need, but it is an option that could save you money later on or now if you find you need another panel. Solar is a very individual use/need type thing. You should have enough now but come winter you may need more. Just saying you can never have enough solar.

bullfrog said:
^^^It is more than you need, but it is an option that could save you money later on or now if you find you need another panel. Solar is a very individual use/need type thing. You should have enough now but come winter you may need more. Just saying you can never have enough solar.
Yeah I understand what you mean.. But even still, there is only so much solar I can truly have a Minivans roof is a bit limited.. and I plan to put a Cargo box on top also for Storage.

I have used Newpowa solar panels in projects and they are fine. For being as cheap as they are there were no quality issues that I could find.

As has been said, you will never regret spending a couple extra dollars to get extra capacity in your charge controller. You never know when you might decide down the road to add another panel in a ground mount configuration or suitcase or something. But the big benefit would be allowing you to run #6AWG cables instead of #10AWG.

Don't let anything cast a shadow on your panels, or the output drops off drastically. A cargo box is probably not a good idea if it interferes with your solar.

I would recommend the DC to DC charger over any shunt or battery isolator. I have tried them all and shunts will shorten the life of your battery by not keeping it topped off. A good solar system might couple well with a shunt, but not a stand alone shunt.

I would recommend the Rich Solar 20 amp MPPT controller on Amazon with 2 100 watt panels in series. Cost effective but good quality.

ldsreliance said:
I have used Newpowa solar panels in projects and they are fine.  For being as cheap as they are there were no quality issues that I could find.

As has been said, you will never regret spending a couple extra dollars to get extra capacity in your charge controller.  You never know when you might decide down the road to add another panel in a ground mount configuration or suitcase or something.  But the big benefit would be allowing you to run #6AWG cables instead of #10AWG.
That makes sense, so what exactly is the difference between the 20v charge control vs. the 30v charge control in the aspect of the solar panels?

You mean 20A and 30A?  Not a whole lot.  Both units can handle up to 100V, which is important for wiring your panels in series.  But the 30A unit can handle more current and bigger wires, which is important for wiring panels in parallel.  Like I said, if you get 200W of solar panels on top of your roof, for example, and then a year from now you decide you want to add another 200W to a deployable, suitcase style solar panel setup for the ground outside the van, then you could easily do that in parallel with the existing controller.