Aluma-Lite Travel Trailer

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wanderin.pat

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Southern NM... currently living in an RV park
I've recently acquired an ancient (I think) travel trailer.  It is an Aluma-Lite TT .  The registration and title are nowhere to be found.  When I look up the VIN, I only get back that it is an Aluma-Lite.   

The big problem here for me is that I need to replace the entrance door.  

Might anyone have an idea about how to identify this?  I have looked and looked for a plate of some kind that would id at least something.  

Thanks in advance,

Pat 

My Rig 2019 09 17.jpg

Attachments

• My Rig 2019 09 17.jpg
    My Rig 2019 09 17.jpg
    887 KB · Views: 12
If would have helped if you showed a photo of the entry door side of the trailer. But looking for that make of trailer with the same color scheme brought up some very similar models of that make. They all appeared to have a door with square corners. That is very good news since it is easier to find a fit than trying to match a door with radius on the upper corners.

Secondly take a photo of the door and the problem with it that concerns you. It might be repairable rather than needing replacement.

But if it needs replacement then I think your approach should be this, you need to first take good measurements as to the width, height and thickness of the existing door if you still have it. Then take some photos of the door and trailer. Next contact some of the RV salvage yards and give them that information and email the photos to them. You might find an exact fit replacement. It really does look to be a fairly common RV door that the company likely got out of a catalog and used without any modification other than a paint job on it. So I think you are very likely to find something that will work out just fine either at an RV scrap yard, on craigslist or on Ebay.

that is an oldie, square windows. have you had the plate run? a LEO or the DMV should be able to tell you the make, model, and year, from the plate. the VIN will also show up and you can match it up to what's on the tongue. if fact I would have it run before I put any money into it. highdesertranger

Those were well made units. Congratulations. I suggest you join a vintage trailer group or Tin Can Tourists on Facebook for more info. It’s a keeper.

highdesertranger said:
that is an oldie,  square windows.  have you had the plate run?  a LEO or the DMV should be able to tell you the make, model, and year,  from the plate.  the VIN will also show up and you can match it up to what's on the tongue.  if fact I would have it run before I put any money into it.  highdesertranger

Hey, HDR.  I've tried running the VIN, and only got "Aluma-lite" back.  I will definitely try to use the plate.  I've been looking for a "plate lookup app" ....  

Also, I called that RV scrap yard you mentioned in the sticky post about RV scrap yards.  Walt's RV Scrap Yard.
They told me to measure it and they'll see what they have.  They also said they could make one for me. 

Cammalu, thanks for the positive feedback.  

On a side note...
I'm very fortunate.  I sort of inherited this.  The gentleman who owned it was very ill, and I offered to take care of his dog.  When he went into the nursing home, he passed possession to me  of my current new dog, Sophie.  He passed away shortly thereafter.   His executor is going to let me have the trailer.  She's trying to get a copy of the title from the state.

I keep telling Sophie to cheer up!   ;)

SOPHIE.jpg

Attachments

• SOPHIE.jpg
    SOPHIE.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 7
Call Bontrager’s or Johnson Suppy in White Pigeon, MI. They have hundreds of doors and thousands of windows. I got all my windows and my door there. Cheap prices.

maki2 said:
If would have helped if you showed a photo of the entry door side of the trailer. But looking for that make of trailer with the same color scheme brought up some very similar models of that make. They all appeared to have a door with square corners. That is very good news since it is easier to find a fit than trying to match a door with radius on the upper corners.

Secondly take a photo of the door and the problem with it that concerns you. It might be repairable rather than needing replacement.

Ok... I got some photos of the door.

trailer door 01.jpg trailer door 02.jpg trailer door 03.jpg
trailer door 04.jpg trailer door 05.jpg trailer door 06.jpg

Attachments

• trailer door 01.jpg
    trailer door 01.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 0
  • trailer door 02.jpg
    trailer door 02.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 0
  • trailer door 03.jpg
    trailer door 03.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 0
  • trailer door 04.jpg
    trailer door 04.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 0
  • trailer door 05.jpg
    trailer door 05.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 0
  • trailer door 06.jpg
    trailer door 06.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 0
maki2 said:

Ok... I got some photos of the door.

trailer door 01.jpg trailer door 03.jpg trailer door 04.jpg trailer door 05.jpg trailer door 06.jpg

Attachments

• trailer door 01.jpg
    trailer door 01.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 7
  • trailer door 03.jpg
    trailer door 03.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 6
  • trailer door 04.jpg
    trailer door 04.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 10
  • trailer door 05.jpg
    trailer door 05.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 5
  • trailer door 06.jpg
    trailer door 06.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 9
Putting in a new piece of screen is an easy DIY project. Your local hardware store has screen and the spline and a tool to push the spline into the groove.

On the main door looks like the skin got peeled back. I would suspect it is very much repairable since the majority of the door is intact. You might need to replace some of the wood framing or some of the core if it got water damaged. If you wanted to you could remove the dog door and create a filler panel and then overlay the lower half of the door with new aluminum sheet metal at the same time taking care of that damaged lower corner. When you are done you add some paint and just blend in the look so it appears to be an original feature of the door to have a matching or contrasting lower panel area.

If you don't think you are up to fixing it then just take it to an RV repair place and get an estimate. If it is reasonable let them fix it. If not then try to find a local handy person who has good skills and does very nice work.

I do know that both the screen door and the main door are projects that I could DIY repair for myself but I am a handy woman with very good skills and a lifetime of experience working with tools :)

@Maki2. 

>If you don't think you are up to fixing it then just take it to an RV repair place 
>and get an estimate.  If it is reasonable let them fix it. 
>If not then try to find a local handy person who has good skills and does very nice work.

Thank you, Maki2....

A friend of mine knows a local handyman,  got him to take a look at the door.  He used a screwdriver and some pliers and "fixed" it so that it's now usable!
That was a good idea.... thanks. 
He also made some suggestions on how to "fix" the screen door as well, which will give me a workable solution for that as well.  

Thanks to all for your suggestions and advice.  

Regards,

Pat 

wanderin.pat said:
You anywhere near southern NM and interested in makin some foldin $$$?  Is that an inappropriate question for the forum?  

Regards, 

Pat
I won't be in that area right now. I am finishing up my own build but I recently fractured my wrist so the work I can do is limited which means a delay in my plans to head to the southwest of perhaps two or three months.

wanderin.pat said:
@Maki2. Thanks to all for your suggestions and advice.  [/size][/color]

Regards,

Pat 
I am very glad to hear that my advice has helped you to make it useable without having to replace it.

I'm within an hour of Jognsons, Bontragers & a dozen others. & in yardsale season many things can be found for next to nothing. I put FEMA doors in 3 of my hangers in the 40' big doors. Wish I'd have bought 1 more. $40 with the lock & frame at Toms on the east side 131S just before you turn west to go to Johnsons

I had a 69 truck camper that had a plate that said Aluma-lite and it was made by Holiday Rambler. I loved it but a "friend" borrowed it and it was damaged beyond repair.

Does it say Holiday Rambler Anywhere I believe to be the original manufacturer, I had a 22 ft model. Sorry i let it go but storing it was not an option.

I know this is hard to believe, but myself and several others have looked for ANY kind of identifying plate, and the only thing we've found so far is the below logo.  In the upper right corner.  "Aluma Lite"... That's it.   The title is lost, no registration.  Executor of the estate is applying for a duplicate of the existing title.  

As I've mentioned, the VIN lookup returns "Aluma-lite" and that's it. 

My Rig 2019 09 17 - DETAIL.jpg

Attachments

• My Rig 2019 09 17 - DETAIL.jpg
    My Rig 2019 09 17 - DETAIL.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 4