Alternatives to campfires?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing like a couple of expensive Class A's rolling into the RV park, then setting up between the RVs, what looks to be an old simple charcoal grill on a tripod, and lighting a wood fire, for that outdoorsy camping in the rough feeling after a long day's trek. During a Fire Weather watch to boot.

Then the wood smoke spreads into other RVs, who are not sharing the camaraderie.

Craziest thing is ever since I had to cut and split wood to stay warm most of my early life, I just don’t feel right if I don’t have a pile around. Many of the campers in our campground bring bought cut and split firewood and leave it when they go still in the packaging as it really is too hot even at night to have a campfire or they camp in areas where no fires are allowed, I’ve even found it in the dumpster! I probably have a good rick of wood and never build a fire but I seem to sleep better knowing it is there. In the fall when people come in and can’t find any I gift them with a big box full.

Yeah I got to have one of “them”propane campfires how can you live without them? I just take my laptop outside Sit it on a stump and play a video of a camp fire burning, makes me feel like a real woodsman. LOL. As a camp host I had one guy come in in a mothership (huge class A) Sat in the driver seat put down his automatic levelers turned on his AC. And never left the rig the entire three days he was there. Wow my hero. “That be what they call one of them darr pioneers.”

That guy needs to get a dog. The reason I leave my rig is because I walk my dog at least 4 times a day.

I have a rechargeable LED lantern that has a setting for an amber colored flickering flame effect. It is kind of fun but as I am camping solo I have not used it for fireside chat sessions. But it does not put out any heat  and it is now cold at night so I am not tempted to sit outside watching the flicker flame as a campfire substitute.

But there is a level 1 burn ban on and there is a fire ring here so maybe I will get some wood and have a small campfire tonight. It will be raining for much of the next stretch of days after that so perhaps I should while I can. Hot dogs sound good to me. I can roast the whole package and then reheat  the leftovers later for other meals.

But I have to say it’s not an alternative to campfires. It’s an improvement on campfires. I can’t remember the brand name but they have a wonderful smokeless campfire. The first air into the thing makes it burn hot enough that you don’t have smoke. Problem is it’s not cheap second problem is it’s not small And I have no space to put it in. So I’ll keep a campfire going as long as I can get wood locally. And I’ll move when the smoke gets overwhelming and of course it will move with me.

You might be thinking of Solo Stoves. They have the "Bonfire", which is a "smokeless" fire pit, and also the "Campfire", which actually is fairly small. It's about the size of an old metal coffee can.

I own the Campfire version. It's pretty good for cooking, because it burns for a long time on very little wood. I generally start it with some broken up branches and then keep it burning with smaller sticks. It also works with pellets, but you need to put some firestarter on the pellets or some alcohol soaked cotton balls, or it will smolder rather than get burning well. In addition to wood and pellets, they sell an alcohol burner for it, which allows you to have a "Campfire" by burning denatured alcohol. The alcohol burner in the solo stove is in one of Bob's recent videos.

As far as cons, using pots or pans on top of any wood burner will turn them black with soot. You can cover the bottoms with heavy duty aluminum foil to prevent this. People also pretreat the bottoms with dish soap. That doesn't prevent the soot, but allows it to wash off easier.

The Bonfire version is big enough to replace a fire ring for a group of people. I don't have that one, and it's rather expensive (about $300). I've watched several videos on it and considered it, but since it's expensive and large, I probably won't get it.

The item I was talking about is made by biolite. Not cheap but looks like a nice item. It also generates some electricity for charging small items.