Alternatives.to.AAA

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A Wing and a Prayer

Reaction score
Hi, I'm going to be heading out soon and I'm  looking for a service if I should break down. I know about AAA but are there other services that some of you prefer? Thanks.

I prefer using Paragon.

I spend 1/2 my time in the US and the other half in Canada and it's the only road service I know of that provides me with service in both countries.

Any of the other providers cover you while in the one that is not your country of residence but require you to find your own towing service, pay for it and then get reimbursed. I find that difficult because I'm at the mercy of unknown to me towing companies rather than having a company that has been vetted by my emergency road service company.

The other thing I like is that I have 100 mile towing in Canada as opposed to 100km.... :D

The alternative I chose was to keep my van in top shape.

What kind of rig are you driving?

AAA is probably ok for cars and vans, but not the optimum choice for RVs, or vehicles pulling trailers.  For those, you would be better off with a specialized RV service like Coachnet or Good Sam.

If you do get AAA, make sure you read the fine print before you sign up.  The one available here in NY won't change tires if you have dual wheels

Check tow mileages as a lot only do 100 miles or nearest garage. Where I live is 225 miles from dealerships. Last tow was over $700 so shop around but read the fine print.

Mr. Noodly: "The alternative I chose was to keep my van in top shape."

What about outside influences?

I had Good Sam and never used it. Sure did get a ton of junk mail from them. Cancelled it after my first year was up.

Now I have AAA Premier (or whatever the top tier is in the NorCal region) because it covers cars, motorcycles, and RVs. One tow of up to 200 miles and two tows of 100 miles per year, I think. The tow can be to any destination, doesn't have to be a dealership or garage. I think it costs $120/year which works out to about thirty cents per day.

My main reason for using AAA over an alternative is they provide DMV services in California. Avoiding the DMV is worth a lot to me.

CautionToTheWind said:
Almost There, how do you apply for coverage in both countries?

You don't have to apply for it. Paragon Motorclub is a road service company whose coverage includes both US and Canada.

Since they are based out of the US I have found that it takes a little longer for their call center in Texas (IIRC) to figure out where exactly I am when I need them in Canada but they work hard at figuring things out. The last time I needed them I was 20 miles out on the back roads. They finally conceded that where I was wasn't on their mapping so they had the tow company call me direct. The driver knew exactly where I was - he lived only a few miles away.... :D

I suspect you will get many different answers, we all have preferences, but I have Good Sam and have used them three times, one lockout and two tows and their response was good. The only problem I had was that they tow you only to the closest approved shop and one of the tows I had the shop was closed. I just bribed the tow truck driver to take it to my apartment. Out of pocket (bribe) $20.00.

I used Better World Club for years (they are the "anti-AAA) and was satisfied...but...I changed to the GM club because had *unlimited* miles for towing. As it turns out, they changed this policy when they changed providers, so I made one more change -- this time to Good Sam which seems to have the best pricing for service ratio (at least for me!).

AAA has different tiers. The first tier doesn't cover RVs, trailers, ect... Found this the hardway when my popup camper had a flat on I80 near Truckee and didn't have the proper lug wrench. AAA gets expensive when you have multiple drivers and need the higher tiers for RV and expanded coverage.

I had Good Sam but have never used it so I can't comment on the coverage/service. Good intro price and covers all drivers in family.

Coachnet would be the other one to look into.