Alligator clips?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cherterr

Reaction score
:huh:  My 200w solar panels ( suitcase w/built in controller) has alligator clips for hooking to my 100 ah Bluetop battery. Battery is attached to 800 watt inverter. 
  Question: Should I just be happy plugging in whatever I need (to use or charge) into the inverter- instead of worrying about switching the alligator clips to something else?
ALSO: The solar panel cords are just too darn short. Solutions???
  Thank you- and please don’t get TOO technical with me.  :D

Unless you need to be able to frequently disconnect the inverter from the battery, it's always best to bolt it to the battery terminals.

How does your solar panel/controller currently connect to your battery? Clips? Or are there connectors somewhere along the line? If there are connectors you can order more cable with the same type of connectors fitted to the ends. Then it's just a matter of plugging in this "extension cord." If there aren't connectors, then you can cut off the clips and install (or have installed) some connectors. Or you (or someone) can splice more wire onto the existing wire.

You can make your own cables. There is a bit of a learning curve and equipment costs.

I have a multiple die crimper, but I’d need another for larger cables. I might try a hammer for those.

Whether to pursue that path should depend on your future plans.

Amazon and auto parts stores are sources for both tools/parts and premade cables.

Anyone have a good specialty source for all?

MrNoodly said:
Unless you need to be able to frequently disconnect the inverter from the battery, it's always best to bolt it to the battery terminals.

How does your solar panel/controller currently connect to your battery? Clips? Or are there connectors somewhere along the line? If there are connectors you can order more cable with the same type of connectors fitted to the ends. Then it's just a matter of plugging in this "extension cord." If there aren't connectors, then you can cut off the clips and install (or have installed) some connectors. Or you (or someone) can splice more wire onto the existing wire.
Battery Cables are connected from battery to inverter.  
Solar panels have a built-in charge controller (on backside) with wires leading out to end in Alligator clips ( for attaching to battery).
   I am aware of the ability (although looks like a PITA) to change them. 
   I’m just trying to figure out how important that is.  I was guessing I can just run whatever I need charged (or live charge/running?) through the inverter, if need be.  
  The Length of that Solar cord is so ridiculously short, I fail to see how I could have any vehicle shade OR panels sun exposed w/o Shade FROM Van to be useful- without having to move Both several times during a few hours of charging. 
  Hope this clarifies things.  :D