After my failure I am trying again.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wondering

Reaction score
Around the first of March I am going to try again.   I traded my subcompact for a minivan.  I took a big financial loss but it was the only way to try wandering again.

I could use some feedback from you ladies.  My goal was to hit the New Mexico parks using the yearly $225 pass for a month and then go west.  I spoke to a ranger today at one of the parks and New Mexico is making changes due to some people abusing the system.  Some parks are going full reservations, others are only going to have one or two walk in sites.  The ranger said some people are just parking empty trailers in the walk in sites until the weekend leaving people out of luck.  I was also told the reservations are filling up fast since the changes were announced.

So, perhaps heading west and bypassing New Mexico is best.  Has anyone stayed recently at a New Mexico site?  

I was choosing that option so I would have access to showers and using the electricity one day a week to charge devices.

Do you think I should join a caravan right away which is located close to a town.   I will not have the minivan converted.  I have a port a potty and can bring water.  I will be getting a folding memory foam mattress that will fit in back.  Also I plan to take out the middle seats and leave in storage with the rest of my stuff.

Any ideas?

Hmm, good to know that info regarding NM, because that was playing some importance in my future plans. Thank you for sharing that.

Going out for the first time with a caravan would really be good for confidence building and guidance; plus, they know all of the good spots! I think that would be really wise.

Best wishes, and do keep us posted on your decisions and progress. You CAN do it :)

They said you pay the $225 for yearly pass then $3 per day for electric and $4 per day for reservations.   It would be cheaper to dry camp and find a gym or truck stop once a week for a shower.  With all the fees I am not saving money!

Yes, you have a point there. I think over age 60 the price drops on the annual fee. I use solar, so I could dry camp in the parks and then only avail myself of the 4.00 shower and electric when needed. But even if you use them only 1 time a week, I think some gym memberships are cheaper than that monthly, but you wouldn't get the electric benefits and would have to drive into town for it, so it kind of comes out six of one, half dozen of the other.

People do that park the trailer on monday to hold the space bullshit in AZ too. Assholes.

I've done a couple NM state parks this past summer - out of state is $225 for the year pass regardless age/disability/etc - I wanted a pass.

NM has some Natl Forests for dry camping

Most all the gyms require your credit card on file, not a debit, & most likely not close to where you'll be camping - IDK how heavy the card or distance factors in your decision.

There are solar chargers for phones on Amazon - about $30-ish.

Also, perhaps waiting til you've hit the 14day limit or is your space limiting you to 7 in a spot?

Have you a trailer hitch on your vehicle? You might can find a carrier to expand your capacity (I carry xtra 12 gal on mine - 10 or so days worth)

Did you have trouble getting a non electric space to camp in the park?  It sounded like next year all spots will be reserve except one or two.  If there are no spots without spending the extra $4 or $4+3 a day then the annual pass is useless.   The park pass seemed like a good way to ease into minivan life.   If I could find a non electric site I would be ok.  Still can use showers.  I will look for solar devices to charge phone and iPad.  Thanks.

No hitch.  It sounds like over $500 to have one installed.   I was going to do that later.   Especially if things go well I was considering going to Alaska in June.

I was able to find @ least 1 spot each time, but timing is the thing: try Sun afternoon, after most weekenders leave; u sually werx 4me.

I came to that conclusion as well - that a pass wasn't a good fit for me - would pay for itself after a month of overnight camping in the various state parks, but mostly I boondock. You should check into the individual SP as I've found a couple with posted e coli notices.

Yes, a hitch receiver is expensive.

Wondering, what kind of Minivan do you have and who is telling you 500 bucks for a hitch install? seems way over priced. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
Wondering,  what kind of Minivan do you have and who is telling you 500 bucks for a hitch install? seems way over priced.  highdesertranger
2018 Dodge Grand Caravan.   I called all three places in town and that is what I was told.  Perhaps when I get to the Southwest it will cost less.

well Rock Auto has the hitch starting at 93 bucks going up to 163.00 depending on what one you want. class III are actually cheaper than class II. on Amazon the hitch is 115 bucks and expert installation is 140, so yeah they are trying to take a vacation on your dime. highdesertranger

The $500 was installed.  The ones you looked with installation are less.  I’ll look there once I get there.  Thanks for info

A lot of campgrounds with walk in sites require they be occupied the first night and every night after that.

If I came across a campground with a lot of unoccupied walk in sites, I might be tempted to complain.

Particularly in areas where public campgrounds have been privatized, it’s not uncommon to find practice that conflicts with policy.

If you’re just looking for electricity for once a week or so, might look into a Passport America membership as a cost saver.

Your one night a week may have to be during the week rather than the weekend, but PA is a pretty good deal, in my opinion.