advice on purchase

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lisamarie

Reaction score
Hi there,  I am new to RV's and am looking for some advice.  My husband and I are dipping our toes in the water, looking ahead to see if we might want to retire full-time in an RV someday.  After finding that RV's are incredibly expensive to rent, we thought we might purchase an inexpensive Class C to see how we like it.  I found a 2004 Bigfoot 29ft with 74,800 miles.  It has a 10 cylinder gas engine. 

Also has Brand New All terrain Tires, Solar system, Backup camera, skylight with shade, Fiberglass roof (Lifetime warranty - no maintenance), Outside Shower, Onan 4000 Watts Generator, HDTV WI-FI SMART TV, SAFE T PLUS STEERING STABILIZER CONTROL, FLEXSTEEL SEATS, RECESSED PATIO AWNING

The price is $7200.  I can't find much info on this RV and wonder what I should be checking on.  Also am I right in expecting the gas mileage will be about 10 miles per gallon?
Thanks for your help!
Lisa Marie

I had a 1999 v10 class B and at interstate speeds my mileage was 7-8 mpg. FWIW

Bigfoot was a good name. As has been said v 10 in both Dodge and Ford use gas but I would still prefer them over a diesel. Anything goes wrong with a diesel and it will cost you dearly. I think the Fords had a problem with spark plugs. Ask a mechanic. It is better to fix them before they actually fail.

Welcome to the CRVL forums Lisa Marie! The most important thing to check for when buying a used RV is any sign of water intrusion. Look for ripple, soft spots and staining inside and out. Good luck on your search!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

The price seems almost too good to be true... could be fine, could turn out to be a money pit. Have it professionally inspected: if everything works, no water damage to find and the powertrain is solid, then you'd have a heck of a deal there... however, I would be surprised if you can achieve more than 8 mpg on average, these V10s are thirsty (mine included ;)!

Bigfoot brand is one of the few well built rvs out there. I agree on the price seeming too cheap but if it all turns out then that’s a steal. Got pics?

Almost certainly a Craigslist scam. They will take specialty makes and price them ridiculously low to get naive people to respond. They will either ask for email or text and follow up with silly requests to scam you for your ID info or try to get you to send money. Check the Craig's section on how to avoid scams or Google it. Sometimes Google the ad title and you will see the same ad for sale across the country. Usually don't have a local area code phone number, or number is an online answering service.
If you can't contact them directly by phone call, be wary. And as this is prime vacation RV season, if real, sold in hours.
FYI.

There was a reference to a spark plug problem on the Ford V-10 here, and I wanted to pass on the info a mechanic friend gave me: the plugs are VERY easy to cross-thread when putting them in. Get it wrong and the head will have to be taken off and repaired. There may be other problems with the plugs he didn't mention, but that was one he said to be especially careful of. He was telling me this as general information toward my eventual purchase of an RV...and said that "even though I'm a Chevy guy (that's all he drives), for an RV the Ford V-10 is superior to the 454".

Before purchasing, you'd better check the following things, include batteries, tires, macerator pump, shocks, propane sensor and so on. And also having a trial driving for half an hour to experience. If you're not sure, you can find a repairman to help you to judge. Good luck!