Adventure Starting.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Finally sold my house in Michigan! Rolled out of there in a Chevy Suburban with a tent strapped to the top of it, and a sleeper cot inside. I'm on down to visit friends in Tucson, AZ, then start the exploration. (First boondocking trip). Looks like it'll be tent camping grounds only but I'm eager to check out BLM lands. (Not near Tucson, as I've been forwarned: "Cartels operate near there". I'll probably work my way west, & then check out the Grand Canyon near early April (1rst time). Sounds like Mr Wells Group(s) are already in Nevada (?) I like what their charity is doing. Peace to all!

If you head out HWY 86 and turn south on HWY 286 Caballo Loco's road turns off to the left at their sign. about 2 or 3 miles in there is a manned Border Patrol mobile observation station that has been there for years. lots of places to camp 4 or 5 miles down the road. you will be watched I would think. There is BLM land in the more populated area closer in on HWY 86 at Snyder Hill but it is usually way to crowded for me.

Last edited:
If you head out HWY 86 and turn south on HWY 286 Caballo Loco's road turns off to the left at their sign. about 2 or 3 miles in there is a manned Border Patrol mobile observation station that has been there for years. lots of places to camp 4 or 5 miles down the road. you will be watched I would think. There is BLM land in the more populated area closer in on HWY 86 at Snyder Hill but it is usually way to crowded for me.
Thank you, Carla & bullfrog! I'll have a look! It's all just adventure from here! PS - just got in a good car collision in Tucson! Other party accepted responsibility. Nobody was hurt. Looks like I'll be staying with friends a little longer. (Shop expects vehicle repair to be done by 3/23.) Looks like I'll be pushing my luck with warm Temps, too! Peace to all!

Finally sold my house in Michigan! Rolled out of there in a Chevy Suburban with a tent strapped to the top of it, and a sleeper cot inside. I'm on down to visit friends in Tucson, AZ, then start the exploration. (First boondocking trip). Looks like it'll be tent camping grounds only but I'm eager to check out BLM lands. (Not near Tucson, as I've been forwarned: "Cartels operate near there". I'll probably work my way west, & then check out the Grand Canyon near early April (1rst time). Sounds like Mr Wells Group(s) are already in Nevada (?) I like what their charity is doing. Peace to all!
How exciting! My belly has happy bubbles just reading your send off. I hadn’t thought about the cartels in those areas… maybe I need to watch “breaking bad” again. Happy and safe and exciting trails to you!

The cartels aren't going to bother US citizens. It would bring a heavy response. They want to stay on the down low.

Their "job" is to get the load from point A to point B while avoiding the law. Bringing down heat is bad for business.

TV and movies are fictional. Overblown drama to keep people watching.

How exciting! My belly has happy bubbles just reading your send off. I hadn’t thought about the cartels in those areas… maybe I need to watch “breaking bad” again. Happy and safe and exciting trails to you!
Thank You! I've researched, prepared & sought advice, but frankly, lack depth of experience, as I am just starting out.

The cartels aren't going to bother US citizens. It would bring a heavy response. They want to stay on the down low.

Their "job" is to get the load from point A to point B while avoiding the law. Bringing down heat is bad for business.

TV and movies are fictional. Overblown drama to keep people watching.
Makes sense; thank you!

Makes sense; thank you!
Well, finally made it to Quartzite (now that most already left) I wanted to experience Prescott area, but looks like the fires shut that idea down. I'd still like to see the Grand Canyon, but I'll have to take an approach from the west (tucking in behind the fires, I presume).
Hey it's my first time in Quartzsite though. Any tips/ideas for exploring this little town? This newbie is slowly fumbling his way through the paces. Haven't met any "HOWA " folks yet.
Peace to everyone!

..............High Desert Ranger was the moderator here for many years..............He passed away Sept 2021

His beautiful memorial is located in Celias Garden..........just behind the Ballfield near the Library

PM sent

I'd still like to see the Grand Canyon, but I'll have to take an approach from the west (tucking in behind the fires, I presume).
If a long dirt road doesn't deter you, I highly recommend going south out of St George UT. Should be nice this time of year. Zion will be as well.

GrndCan2.jpg

..............High Desert Ranger was the moderator here for many years..............He passed away Sept 2021

His beautiful memorial is located in Celias Garden..........just behind the Ballfield near the Library

PM sent
Honestly never met him, but now, kinda wish I did! (Read plenty of positive comments about him) Peace - to all who knew him!