adhesive hooks vs velcro for privacy curtains

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morgana

Reaction score
Thinking about curtains/shades and have a few questions ...

How reliable are Command hooks? Are they durable? Is it really possible to remove them cleanly? Is a 2 or 3 lb strength enough to support a rod and blackout curtain (or similar fabric)?

Does anyone have strong opinions about hooks/rod vs. velcro?

Right now I'm mostly looking for solutions for the back window of a Honda CR-V. I think I've sorted what I'd like to do with the other windows.

Meanwhile, there's 2% of my brain still tempted to just get a full set of WeatherTec customized window shades, although my budget and I are probably better off with an inexpensive DIY solution. But opinions on that would also be welcome.

Thanks!

My story: I spent more time experimenting with window covers than any other single item in my van. First I went DIY and tried chloroplast, I tried curtains. Unsatisfied with the results of my efforts, I purchased (and returned) inexpensive window covers from two different manufacturers. Finally, I bit the bullet and forked over a crapload of money for the stereotypical covers used in Sprinter vans. I wasted a lot of time and energy because I didn't want to accept the fact that what I wanted cost more than I wanted to spend.

Most of us do not have the skill and equipment to achieve the quality of factory made products. If you have the money, I suggest buying WeatherTech covers and using your time on other aspects of your build.

On hooks: I use hooks to hang various items off my walls and ceiling. I've tried 2 or 3 different Command hooks and they've failed. I've had success (including hanging a curtain from my fabric ceiling) using these hooks from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KFDML8G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have found the Velcro tape and hooks to hold up better than any of the peel and stick ones

Tho if you are in extreme heat, keep your curtains lightweight because weight combined with high heat will bring them down.

afblangley, that's exactly what I'm worried about -- spending a not-negligible amount of money and time and then having to turn around and buy the expensive pre-made thing after all.
Hmm, food for thought you have given me!
Thanks to you both.

The Command hooks fail over time and the load does not have to heavy at the time of failure.

For window coverings, the industrial strength velcro products work in applications exposed to temperature extremes.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0010HADEAVELCRO Brand Heavy Duty Fasteners | 4x2 Inch Strips 4 Sets | Holds 10 lbs | Stick-On Adhesive Backed | Black Industrial Strength | For Indoor or Outdoor Use, 90209

My latest Command failure was fixed by cutting a small square of that velcro and using that to attach the hook in place. That hook was used to secure one strap of a plastic shopping bag used for light trash, the load was never heavy.

Last edited:
That looks impressive.

I'm guessing that for the sticky stuff it probably comes down to a trade-off between "reliable" and "removable." (At least, from the Amazon reviews, the heavy velcro looks pretty permanent once you put it up there.)

Well, I pulled an afblangley :)after all -- experimented like crazy and then bit the bullet and bought a set of WeatherTech shades made for my make/model. Car windows are trickier than they look! The fact that the bottoms slope outward just added one too many complications to my increasingly Rube Goldberg-ish arrangement. But it was fun playing around with it.

The Weather Techs seem very nice. They're not an absolutely perfect fit -- there's the occasional sliver of window still showing -- that's normal, right? -- or maybe I just need to fiddle with them some more. But they will definitely do the trick.

Thanks again, all!

My experience with velcro (actual Velcro brand) is that the kind that comes with adhesive backing does not like heat.
Had a job years ago to install a bunch of power strips with velcro. Then connect all the power supplies for computer peripherals to the power strips.
Easy job, paid okay.
They called us back a couple weeks later. The power supplies had heated up the adhesive and it got all runny. So the power strips fell down.
It was their specification to use velcro, not ours. So the blame was with the client.
Ended up doing it the right way with wood screws.
If I was going to use velcro for curtains I'd use hot glue to mount the velcro.
But magnets are as cheap as either solution.

I mounted a curtain rod (actually a spring) that holds the curtain up and allows me to open and close easily. I found that they don't hug the windows and you could see inside if you pressed up against the windows from the outside. So, I added Velcro which allows me to hold the window curtain snug at night. Command hooks were designed to hold things at room temperature and with weight that pulls straight down. If you put them up and weight/stress is pulled to the side....they will pop off.

Jeweler display pins would work great. I'm using them for my fairy lights and to hold up a bug screen for my sunroof that covers the entire ceiling.

For a privacy curtain behind the drivers seat in my van I went very cheap (BUT very effective)... eye screws straight above the seats on the side frames, 10 ga wire strung across - 10 spring steel curtain rings on wire, small hook screwed into headliner in center for support... now the expensive part - $4.99 for a 4x7 moving blanket from Harbor Freight. blocked all heat from windshield in summer, held all warmth from heater in winter.

... now the expensive part - $4.99 for a 4x7 moving blanket from Harbor Freight. blocked all heat from windshield in summer, held all warmth from heater in winter.
I'm just covering windows in a truck topper. The moving blanket might work well for the back window. I can roll it up when driving. I looked at them and they even come in gray. Thanks for the idea:)

Did you mean a spring (tension) rod or a spring like this:

Amazon.com
My mom made curtains for our 1967 Ford Econoline van (in the early 70's, iirc) and she put them up with springs. Like the one in the link. I was wondering if people still use springs for curtains.

I used springs similar to the one you posted. Funny you should say that......because I thought of the idea from a camper my parents owned in the 70's. :) I wanted a rod (or spring) on the top and bottom and I thought two solid rods would not allow me the flexiblity I thought I might need. You can lift up on the bottom and not pop it off the rod.