Adding an outer window to a Prius (or other vehicle)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My goal here is to add a secondary window on the outside of the factory windows so that I can repurpose the factory windows (where they are) to use as motorized shades that I can raise and lower using the buttons that normally would raise and lower the windows.

To begin with, the window belt molding is removed to get to the bare metal (that gray strip is the dirt that was underneath it, not the molding itself). Measurement from glass to bottom lip is a maximum of 15/32". Measurement at the rear triangular trim piece is 13/32", at the front is 12/32" (3/8"), and at the top is 8/32" (1/4").
2024-05-11 19_31_54-Instagram - Marcilla (@marcilla.smith) • Instagram photos and videos.png

My plan is to add layers of mounting tape in order to bring the sections to a uniform space from the glass before applying the Velcro for the polycarb outer window.

Below you can see the loop side of the hook and loop fastener (or "fuzzy side of the Velcro," if you prefer) is on. Please note that while the belt molding is off and the new outer window is not yet installed, there is a gap where water intrusion will occur (if it rains, for example).
2024-05-11 19_45_40-Instagram - Marcilla (@marcilla.smith) • Instagram photos and videos.png

unfortunately your plan might not succeed for long term use. The Velcro you have chosen is not rated to withstand the very high temperatures auto glass can reach in sunlight on hot days. You need to have a 200 degree rating for the upper limit and at least 15 degrees below freezing for the lower limit or else the adhesives can lose its grip. Both the Velcro and the double sided tape need those ratings for your project.

When choosing materials such as adhesive tapes you need to carefully do prior research, not just for what materials it will stick to but also for the temperature range of use. That research is a basic part of the project planning phase for doing nomadic lifestyle modifications. You are not working inside of a climate controlled structure so there will be temperature extremes. While you can buy mounting tape and Velcro that meet those temperature ranges they will be special order items. You will not find those ratings on those items in the local stores.

Last edited: