Adding a high top

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doneta said:
I just now called Jamie, and he quoted me $1800.00 for the top, install, and will put in the frame for a maxx fan//fantastic fan.  Says he can have it done in about 3 hours.   Since I will be going to Va. Beach next week, once I get done with my business there, I  will be  driving the 271 miles to  Thomasville NC and get er done.

Pictures and write up please!   :D

MikeRuth said:
I liked being able to store goods in the overhead above the cab. Not so sure if that type of top is still available.

I think the way they make the overcab (and rear) storage is to not cut the roof out there. So the old roof section becomes a shelf. Has to be smoothed and padded so you don't decapitate yourself, but makes a ton of free storage.

frater secessus said:
I think the way they make the overcab (and rear) storage is to not cut the roof out there. So the old roof section becomes a shelf.  Has to be smoothed and padded so you don't decapitate yourself, but makes a ton of free storage.

When our upfitter installed the fiberine top they asked if we wanted any "Attic" space...we said yes to front and rear. Lots of storage (keep it light up there though! except for the few water bottles it is primarily blankets and similar.) and also there is the added safety of keeping a good portion and several more ribs in place.

Image of ours taken a couple years back:
TCLawdInteriorv2c.jpg

I like the top from TCI Mobility. It has that strong framework of steel that should really make the structure safe

Dgorila1 said:
Google TCI mobility. One of the users on here had a high top installed on the Chevy for $3700 complete. It included a steel roll cage inside the high top.

I am pretty sure it was done in Penn.  And his high top is really tall and TCI did a beautiful job on it.  The full price was cheapest I had read about also.

frater secessus said:
That worked out really well!  Very clean build, by the way.   I hope I can keep mine that nice.

THX, my wife and i did the insulation, hull-liner wall fabric install, and headliner and original bed platform (usable wood mock-up) Used it like that for two seasons tweaking here and there before having a pro-upfitter (Van Specialties in Portland Oregon...2.5 hrs from us on the coast). They then did a drop down ceiling with lighting (I'm 5.8 and there is 5.9 headroom as currently built). Then they replaced our mock bed and cabinets with 3/4" powder coated mild steel frame and formica topped marine ply. Went together nicely.

Thom

accrete said:
i'll add a thought i didn't see mentioned on fiberglass tops on chevy (or ford) vans...

IF you are anything like my wife and i when it comes to our rig we keep it meticulously maintained. That includes a once-a-year cleaning/re-application of a product called Poli Glow (link for interested parties: poliglow-int.com and i have a write-up on our use of it at my blog in _this post_) It takes the two of us about three hours one afternoon in the dryer summer months to get the top back to a shine. The one thing with an all metal fab like a Transit high top is you can just take care of it as you would your car, but the fiberglass gel coat takes a bit more work to maintain properly. My background in this area includes years of maintenance on our family (fiberglass) sailboat and also maintaining our little (now sold) fiberglass camp-trailer _image link_.

The post Poli-Glow shine on our van's top:

Pretty, pretty :)

Thom
And to keep your vehicle shiny and protected from the elements, I learned about Liquid Glass years ago and swear by the stuff.  I even use it on my windshields to repel rain.

please edit the pictures out when you quote. there is no reason to have the same pic over and over. it's very annoying for people on their smart phone with limited data. highdesertranger

Ok.

I will point out that repeated identical pictures do not affect data;  the browser reuses the previous image and shows it again.

frater secessus said:
Ok.

I will point out that repeated identical pictures do not affect data;  the browser reuses the previous image and shows it again.

You can't know that for sure. Yes, on a laptop or desktop PC, with a standard modern browser, that is usually the case.

But, it really depends on the forum software: it can force reloading of images thru codes and scripts.

It might be set to do exactly that, especially if someone logs in to 'last unread' and the browser has not cached that image in a recent browsing session. (of course if they scan the thread backward, those past images will get reloaded anyway)

It also depends on the cache settings of the user's browser, and I have no idea how Tap-a-Talk manages cached images.

One thing that probably should be looked at is to disallow the uploading of large image files, or to set the forum software to automatically resize large images. This works pretty well on most public forums that use it..

Ok...guilty of thread detour....

Somebody SLAP me!

:p

Just wanted to say thanks for this thread!  I've been researching a high top for my 2016 Express Van.  I'll be very interested in hearing about your experience in NC!

Thanks!

Todd.

"Don't Panic!", And Always remember your Towel...

rtb111 said:
Just wanted to say thanks for this thread!  I've been researching a high top for my 2016 Express Van.  I'll be very interested in hearing about your experience in NC!

Thanks!

Todd.

"Don't Panic!", And Always remember your Towel...

The install of my high top went extremely well.  I am very pleased with it.  Jamie gave me the option of leaving in some of the rear top so I could convert it into storage or not.  Nice guy and easy to work with.  Wants to please his customers.  Sorry I don't have pictures yet.

1htv.jpg3htv.jpg4htv.jpg2htv.jpg

I did take these pictures of Jamie installing the high top.  But they are all I have for now.

Attachments

• 1htv.jpg
    1htv.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 3htv.jpg
    3htv.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 4htv.jpg
    4htv.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 2htv.jpg
    2htv.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 30
Doneta said:
I did take these pictures of Jamie installing the high top.  But they are all I have for now.

That looks Awesome!  What is the finish inside?  Thanks for posting!

Sorry for the delay.  What a storm... and I also am taking care of my 94 year old father, so my days are busy.   I have some inside pictures but it is getting dark and I'm not sure how well you will be able to see.  The green strips are pool noodles, I took Almost There's advice after I wacked my head a good one.   

I will be adding the insulation next week

Attachments

• vin1.jpg
    vin1.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 44
  • vin2.jpg
    vin2.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 27
  • vn3.jpg
    vn3.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 20
  • vin4.jpg
    vin4.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 27
Doneta said:
Sorry for the delay.  What a storm... and I also am taking care of my 94 year old father, so my days are busy.   I have some inside pictures but it is getting dark and I'm not sure how well you will be able to see.  The green strips are pool noodles, I took Almost There's advice after I wacked my head a good one.   

I will be adding the insulation next week

Wow!  That looks great!  I'm going to call them today.  How much headroom did you gain? Can you stand up now?

Doneta said:

Thanks for sharing.  The Carolinas have a few hidden jewels.  Blue Ridge Adventure Vehicle (BRAV) formerly Morehead Design Labs near Asheville, Hanvey Engineering in Greenville SC (known mostly for their grooming rigs) and now fiberglassme (amazing price and turnaround).  I'm sure I won't have to cross the Mississippi river now to get my rig outfitted!

Someone mentioned NJ where I currently reside temporarily, Has anyone contacted CycleVan 732-238-3110?