Ad inducement to sign in sux

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

user 423

Reaction score
So now we can't peruse the forum without the annoying video ads unless signed in.

I'm done...

🤣🤣 OOooh I could have sooo much fun with this 1.
Please Mods Please please can I , can I purdy please??
C68401F9-6137-4F55-8918-A073F8C86244.gif

jonny boi takin lyfe 2 serious? Umm no

What I like is when the ads pop up while you're trying to sign in :ROFLMAO:

I wouldn't call it a ruin-your-whole-day experience though.
So the forum went from free to low-end commercial. Maybe we should be glad it's not high-end commercial because while the ad experience might be slicker there'd probably be more manipulation, privacy invasion, etc?

Somebody's gonna be paying for stuff like this -- whether it's $$$ or effort, and whether it's someone else or us.

Caveat: I have not seen a video ad yet and will probably hate it when I do. Also, I was here a shorter time during the earlier, free version so maybe not as attached to it as people who really helped build the forum.

Would be better if they were like the old Burma Shave signs on the side of the road! Lol!!! Sort of silly to advertise on a site that caters to a large number of people without a lot of expendable income, many living on Social Security. I just will not buy products or services advertised on this site since they have adopted advertising policies that make it irritating to use. I’m stubborn like that. If someone is going to go away it will be them not me. Hope prospective advertisers read this, maybe we should let the ones that do advertise know.

Hopefully the owners of the site will operate advertising in such a manor as to not interfere with the original mission of the site and accept the fact they won’t have income at all if the site continues to make it difficult for the free resource providers and the people they help to communicate without unnecessary interruptions. A little profit is better than none. Advertising can be managed to not interfere and provide enough profit to make a site like this worthwhile. It ran for years before bringing in limited advertising and asking for support which it got from many in the form of free knowledge and from many cash donations. When dealing with people only concerned with making money cutting into their profits is the only way to get their attention. We were assured the primary mission and goals of this site would continue before and after the sale by Bob Wells and the purchasers. Let us hope this endeavor is as much a labor of love as much for them as it is for those of us that provide the free information and resources. I don’t have a problem with people making reasonable amounts of money on the internet but when it affects people’s lives negatively I do. Maybe this site should have been made part of the nonprofit as it has helped many and resulted in organizations like Homes On Wheels Alliance instead of using Facebook and other externally managed media.

Last edited:
Somehow my "Disable ads" got turned off. So for a while, I was seeing all the ads, and I have to say I found it a bit appalling. This whole site looked like one of those fake news click bait sites. If I had just stumbled across it, no way would I have ever registered. I understand about making a buck, all I am saying is that the sheer number of ads might be counter-productive in getting more people to sign up.

Would be better if they were like the old Burma Shave signs on the side of the road!
As in (1) clever and entertaining and (2) not interfering much with the scenery? That would be nice.
Let us hope this endeavor is as much a labor of love as much for them as it is for those of us that provide the free information and resources.
Good point; it really is profiting from other people's expertise and hard work. Without the old hands, there wouldn't be much point to the forum (another reason this stuff probably doesn't bug me as much as it does some people, since I definitely don't have nomad expertise to share) (old for sure lol but not an old hand).

I don't understand the brouhaha.

In this screenshot there is literally no conversation visible:

Screenshot_2022-12-15-14-22-52-726_com.android.chrome-25.jpg

Not quite as bad in this thread, probably because the deer pic reduced area that could otherwise used for ads.

Screenshot_2022-12-15-14-23-36-867_com.android.chrome-25.jpg

Screencaps from Chrome browser.

But why don't people want to log in?

[sound of goalposts moving]

People want different things. And, as mentioned above, one concern is what the forum looks like to people before joining.

Same post logged in:

Screenshot_2022-12-15-16-12-31-797_com.opera.browser-25.jpg

If there's a difference between logged in/out it's not obvious to me at first glance.

Note: this 'shot is from Opera (dark mode) because that's the that has my forum credentials in it.

I’m logged in but adds pop up and cover my responses as I reply sometimes as I type causing me to repost. For those of us that are here that aren’t completely computer savvy not being able to see what we type with adds covering the screen is just added frustration. Not knowing if it is an add or a link while reading posts sometimes causes confusion. A first timer here on a limited data plan isn’t gonna stay long enough to get the help they may be offered in my opinion. Adding commercials in a header is no big deal mixing them in and covering text is. Accidentally entering an add website while trying to see text happens regularly, that is a problem. Right now as I type adds are covering more than 1/2 my screen!

Go to Preferences
Check off box:

Advertising options

• Disable advertising This option allows you to prevent ads from appearing.
Problem solved, log in, no ads !

It seems weird that people are having such radically different experiences. Is it really down to just whether you've set your preferences and whether you're signed in (and maybe whether you use a general ad-blocker), or are there other variables too?

Status
Not open for further replies.