Activism for those less fortunate

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Cheap RV'ers ought to try and do something about those less fortunate. I mean those unable to afford a vehicle - condemned to tent cities or behind a dumpster. I see many - lots of young people - all over California especially. Homeless east of the Great Planes seem to be doing better for some reason.

I see kids in their teens that are walking skeletons, digging in dumpsters, hanging out on sidewalks. I know of a few who are visibly deteriorating mentally and physically before my eyes. It would be nice if Cheap RV'ers could utilize their knowledge of living on public land to get some of that land appropriated to those less fortunate (and almost entirely involuntary) living outside. There is lots of government land sitting fallow that could be allocated to construct semi-permanent campgrounds with running water, showers, limited electricity stations (solar powered perhaps). This would support many more homeless than the fabled "permanent housing" that's been promised for ever.

Of course there would need to be security (perhaps even fencing) to keep out the drug pushers and pimps and those mentally stable to the point they cause a major disturbance would have to be separated from the rest if not turned over to social services.

For what taxpayers are currently paying to put a few homeless in motel rooms, a much larger number could be taken off the street and given a modicum of dignity and a real path to self-improvement.

Um.... Heard of HOWA? We ARE doing something. Can't do everything, though. There's a reason why the name of this group includes the word "cheap". This forum started as a self-help group for people of modest means after all, and none of us even approaches being 'rich'. Not even Bob Wells.

We need to restart the civilian conservation corps, including expanding dispersed camping areas. Working with homeless is not easy.

There are several programs out there already like America Corps for young people. Plenty of jobs with housing even for older people. The real problem is getting treatment for those with mental illness and drug rehabilitation in structured and monitored living situations which includes room and board without putting them in general population jails.

Josh - that's a noble thought, to try to help the homeless. It is such a complex issue. Bob and his close friends are doing what they can to help homeless people get into vehicles to live through the Homes on Wheels Alliance (HOWA) - here's their website: https://homesonwheelsalliance.org/ ... a woman I knew in North Idaho was the first to receive one of their vehicles, and as I understand it she's still traveling in it right now.

JoshPigeonFeather said:
Cheap RV'ers ought to try and do something about those less fortunate. I mean those unable to afford a vehicle - condemned to tent cities or behind a dumpster. I see many - lots of young people - all over California especially . . .
 . . . Of course there would need to be security (perhaps even fencing) to keep out the drug pushers and pimps and those mentally stable to the point they cause a major disturbance would have to be separated from the rest if not turned over to social services . . .

Most cities of any size have homeless shelters, soup kitchens, food shelves, free clinics that are always in need of volunteers and funding.  If you want to do something for the homeless that is a good place to start.

We decided as a culture back in the '70s that we weren't going to enforce vagrancy laws any more, so you cannot move people to a 'secure' area without their consent.  Most of the homeless men I have worked with (50+ years) want access to their drug of choice (which is why they are concentrated in places with good access to drugs and lax enforcement).

DLTooley said:
We need to restart the civilian conservation corps, including expanding dispersed camping areas.  Working with homeless is not easy.

Unfortunately, that was a different culture.  The men of the CCC were unemployed tradesmen/farmers/laborers.  They wanted to work.  They had skills.  They were willing to put up with austere conditions to be able to earn money to send home.

Today's homeless are a completely different demographic.

We need to restart the civilian conservation corps. It should have been done in 2008.

I was homeless back in the day before I got on my feet but my experience was that the homeless would want to stay in populated areas in order to buy their drugs, alcohol and panhandle. I've taken a few of my former homeless friends to public lands but they wanted to have their fix.
I've met a number of homeless people who said they preferred living on the streets and have watched them die or be killed.
They only want help but on their terms. If they're not willing to make necessary changes to improve the situation then you're only enabling them to continue on their current path.

TravelingZombies said:
I was homeless back in the day before I got on my feet but my experience was that the homeless would want to stay in populated areas in order to buy their drugs, alcohol and panhandle. I've taken a few of my former homeless friends to public lands but they wanted to have their fix.
I've met a number of homeless people who said they preferred living on the streets and have watched them die or be killed.
They only want help but on their terms. If they're not willing to make necessary changes to improve the situation then you're only enabling them to continue on their current path.
I spent one winter in home town in a shelter and also made similar friends and experiences.  It was a good experience, but you don't want to stay there if you can avoid it.  Generally, the folks that don't drink all find 'god', the one's who do, the 'devil'.

Making the presumption that all are lost causes from the get go is a problem, though may well be true more often than not.  Every success will hopefully lead to more.

JoshPigeonFeather said:
Cheap RV'ers ought to try and do something about those less fortunate.
agree and they are trying to do their part as they can....but ALL humans should address these issues and are trying so what is your exact efforts and personal changes you have achieved in your direct action with the issue?  What are your personal movement that has effected direct change?  just wondering on it as with ALL life on the planet the issues now are huge for further human existence of course :) When you saw walking teen skeletons what was your action for help at this point? again just interested in your good works out there as you are handling change.