About old posts

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vanbrat

Reaction score
So I went back to the very beginning posts and reread some of them. So many good ideas and a few educational things too. I love to cook both here in my stick & brick home and when we are out on the road. So much to think about.

We went out a few weeks ago and set up for the day on the beach on the Washington coast. (yea we have a few beaches that you can drive on). I had a few folks come over and ask about my kitchen set up. I cooked hot breakfast and made cold lunches got some watermelon from a fellow picknicker. Had a couple of good laughs at some folks who got a bit rude and stopped a few dog fights. Built a small sandcastle and played chess and read a bit of a book.... But Back to cooking...

I want to see more of your set ups and hear what you like to do food wise and how much is fun and how much is just so you don't starve.

Hubby took me out to dinner one night as it was supper windy, and even he said the food was ok, but my cooking is better.

What is the most used thing you carry. Mine is the microwave. Next the fridge thingy.

Favorite thing that I have been cooking this year is the morning egg sandwich. Also, hot cocoa for hubby.

Attachments

• IMG_0401.JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 0
It's been so hot this summer I haven't done much outdoors and I've also been quite involved with helping shuttle friends of mine to their Hospital Visits & Physical Therapy (lots of 15 hour days here of late) that I can't speak to much camping and outdoor recreation. Even mowing the grass
was put off till just before dark. Haven't mowed for 3 weeks now. Just too many 100+ days.

I've been an indoor nudist sitting in AC under the ceiling fan since mid May.

….
I've been an indoor nudist sitting in AC under the ceiling fan since mid May.
I think that when combined with the subject of eating that falls solidly in the category of TMI 🤣🤣🤣🤣

GasOne GS-800P Dual Fuel stove and Ridge Monkey XL Compact sandwich toaster pan - You can cook an awful lot of things with just these two pieces - Do a YouTube search for Ridge Monkey XL to see what they are.

HotLogic 12v food warmer if you are a good planner and don't mind the 45 min to 4 hours it takes depending on the food choice - It heats things slowly to 165f and holds it there so it never burns even after 8 hours.

If you have 500+ watts of 110v inverter power the Dash Mini appliances are good for 1-2 people.

The Dash Mini Pie Maker sucks as a pie maker, but makes awesome 3 ingredient biscuits - Do a YouTube search for Ken Click Dash Pie Maker.

Same with the Dash Mini Egg Bite Maker, sucks for it's original use, but it is the perfect size to make hot grilled sandwiches, eggs, toast, sausages, pancakes, etc.

Also the MyMini Noodle Cooker & Skillet is a great one ($9.00 at Walmart) - I found a S.S. cup that fits it perfectly and do Ramen noodles in it using 1/2 cup of water - You can do eggs and breakfast meats in it also. - Plenty of YouTube videos of this one too.

I have and use all of these.

Jeff

Last edited:
Also the MyMini Noodle Cooker & Skillet is a great one ($9.00 at Walmart) - I found a S.S. cup that fits it perfectly and do Ramen noodles in it using 1/2 cup of water - You can do eggs and breakfast meats in it also. - Plenty of YouTube videos of this one too.
I just spent 20 minutes looking at reviews for the mymini cooker. It looks like a great little gadget!

Most of these 'Gadgets' fit in a gallon freezer bag which make storage easy.

A can opener was the “gadget” I used today. I “cooked” my lunch with solar power. This morning I set a an unopened can of Progresso soup on my aluminum scaffold table where the sun shown directly on it. By 1:00pm when I was hungry for some lunch it was nicely heated up! No electrical or gas appliances needed and only a spoon to wash in the way of dishes. Camp life simplicity! It is good in the summer to remember to do some real outdoor camping life basics instead of fussing around with gadgets and appliances trying to recreate a sticks and bricks kitchen experience.

Last edited:
Because nothing says outdoor camp life like a can of premade soup. Reminds me a little of the boy scouts back in the day.

Simplicity has a place for sure. But sometimes one wants to do what they enjoy. In this case cooking. And if that means tiny versions of sticks and bricks appliances that's ok too.

Maybe bulk cook some soup, freeze portions in your solar powered fridge. And warm it up in a glass mason jar on top of a little foil for sun powered heating.

Both ways are great. And feasible on many levels.

I will leave you to your love of hauling electrical powered kitchen gadgets around 🤣

I will leave you to your love of hauling electrical powered kitchen gadgets around 🤣
I totally get that unless you're in a larger vehicle, some cooking gadgets are probably too large and unwieldy and power hungry. But the mymini cooker uses 260 watts and can fit just about anywhere. It has two cooking surfaces and is easy to clean. That's something most nomads can use.

Picture for size reference.

sddefault.jpg

Going to post the video so you can see it in action. In the comments there are different recommendations for taller pots if desired. Super interesting.

Guess I have to ask, how do you cook anything ?

Since you plan ahead, look at the HotLogic 12v that uses 45w.

Last edited:
I totally get that unless you're in a larger vehicle, some cooking gadgets are probably too large and unwieldy and power hungry. But the mymini cooker uses 260 watts and can fit just about anywhere. It has two cooking surfaces and is easy to clean. That's something most nomads can use.

Attachments

• S1040001.JPG
    S1040001.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • S1040004.JPG
    S1040004.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0