Aapalachicola National Forest campgrounds packed November?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Binxie

Reaction score
Hi, All: Are Aapalachicola National Forest campgrounds packed in November? How about Conecuh National Forest in Alabama?

I'm in Sumter National Forest, South Carolina, now, and could stay ensconced, but the Florida Panhandle averages a tad warmer. I need a place in the Southeast to hold over for a month -- cheaply -- then I'm going to South Florida in early December. Completely new ideas are appreciated.

Hello Binxie,Me and Vic stayed a month at a VFW in Crestview a few years back.Also stayed a few weeks at a large Moose club in Chiefland.Boondocking spots are hard to come by.There is not much NF in Fl.

I don't know about the national forest but there's dispersed camping in the state forest at least at Black Water State Forest.

The only time there's restrictions on it AFAIK is when it's hunting season.

I stayed at one of the campgrounds from mid December through to first week of January and the whole place was deserted.

The panhandle high tourist season is summer time, the winter is definitely off season.

I'd check with the ranger stations, they'd be the best ones to tell you what's up!

dragonflyinthesky said:
You will be kicked out during gun season

Looks like Panhandle gun season for deer and some other game starts Nov 26-29.

Hunting regs in North Florida ban camping in the National Forests during hunting season.  The ANF is my back yard.  There are various "family campgrounds" in the area.  One is on Highwy 90 west side of Tallahassee, Florida, and has plenty openings.  I don't know their prices.

Awesome news that there's space! The NF campgrounds are pretty cheap at $3 a night. Not as cheap as free, of course, but not bad, especially since they have potable water and vault toilets.

For now, I decided to spend most of November in Sumter National Forest in South Carolina, where I am now. It's not free, but only $50 for a monthly permit, and the site is quiet, has vault toilets, and a hot shower. The weather is maybe 5 degrees cooler then the Florida Panhandle this time of year on average, but it's not bad.

Dixie RV Park $250/mo. Cordele/Vienna GA. About 100 miles N of the FL/GA state line. You would shop in Cordele. There is no cable here. 30/50 amp Full hookups under the group of tall pine trees. The rest of the park down by the bathhouse is w/e only. No one cleans the bathhouse on a regular basis so you would need to clean up after yourself. (I-75 Exit 101 follow signs for Ga Vet's State Park then turn right at the entrance between the two convenience stores onto Cannon Road).

Just stopped in a park along the way from Charlotte NC to Charleston SC and found the no-see-em gnats are out. Make sure you have a way to escape from the gnats that works.

Also found a nice no-cost national forest while driving from Myrtle Beach SC to Charleston SC called Francis Marion forest. The camp sites are primitive with no facility at all. But if you have a kayak there is boat launching nearby. Seems that in the southeast there are plenty of places to launch small boats.

offroad said:
Also found a nice no-cost national forest while driving from Myrtle Beach SC to Charleston SC called Francis Marion forest. The camp sites are primitive with no facility at all. But if you have a kayak there is boat launching nearby. Seems that in the southeast there are plenty of places to launch small boats.

I've been down along 17, the South Carolina lowcountry is better explored by water than by land. Lots of remote peaceful marshes, estuaries, beaches.

Latest posts