A warning from the Quartzsite PD

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyndi

Reaction score
Copied from their fb page

"Quartzsite Police Department is warning for everyone to be on the lookout for card skimming devices.  We have recovered a couple that have appeared around town.  If you see a suspicious card reader do not use it and report it immediately.

A card skimming device can be attached to an ATM or the card reader on a fuel dispenser head. It can be used to capture information from the debit or credit card that’s inserted or swiped. Perpetrators use the information illegally collected to make purchases or withdraw money from the customer’s account.

Some ways to avoid skimmers:

• Pay in cash inside the store to ensure credit card information stays safe.

• Check to make sure the gas pump dispenser cabinet is closed and has not been tampered with.

• Use a gas pump closer to the front of the store. Thieves often place skimmers at the gas pumps farther away from the store.

• Use a credit card instead of a debit card. Credit cards have better fraud protection, and the money is not deducted immediately from an account.

• If using a debit card at the pump, choose to run it as a credit card instead of entering a PIN number. That way, the PIN number is safe.

• Monitor bank accounts regularly to spot any unauthorized charges.

• Consumers who suspect their credit card number has been compromised should report it immediately to authorities and their credit card companies"

The skimmers have gotten pretty sophisticated. There are now factories in Mexico that produce fake ATM machine-fronts, which contain the skimmer and fit over top of the actual ATM machine. The card numbers are then uploaded to people in Russia and the Ukraine, who then sell them.

How much money can you get from someone without any? LOL!!!

Card skimming happens pretty much everywhere... I always select credit at the pump plus I have a 'burner' card specifically for gas.

Another gas station danger... particularly for the ladies. A criminal will approach while you're outside the car pumping gas and try to distract you (begging, asking directions, etc.) while a second criminal sneaks up and opens your car on the opposite side and takes your purse. Keep in mind that the 'bad guys' aren't always men, there are many hard-core women criminals nowadays, so don't get fooled and drop your guard just because it's a female talking to you. Criminals know people have a habit of leaving their cars unlocked while fueling... and ladies typically leave a purse on the passenger seat or floor. They target women mostly because men tend to carry a wallet with them in their pockets. So, safety tip... Lock your car while pumping gas and keep the keys in your hand.

lenny flank said:
...fake ATM machine-fronts, which contain the skimmer and fit over top of the actual ATM machine...

Even more sophisticated are ones that attach to the circuitry from the inside of the machine.

Doubleone said:
'burner' card specifically for gas
Serve.com by Amex is a great way to do pre-paid, very low costs, gives you five cards per account you can allocate for different purposes, keep in different places for emergency.

Keep each empty and only transfer money in just before you need to use it.

PayPal's good as well now for IRL use, can pull from any of your bank accounts and never expose their details to merchants.

Doubleone said:
Criminals know people have a habit of leaving their cars unlocked while fueling... and ladies typically leave a purse on the passenger seat or floor.  They target women mostly because men tend to carry a wallet with them in their pockets.

I appreciate the warning. I don't fit your victim profile though, because I always lock my doors while fueling, and I carry a wallet, and don't ever put my money into a purse. Long time habit - wallet in left pocket and keys in right pocket.

No doubt for every town, city and wide spot in the road the same warnings are being issued. It is certainly not isolated to Quartzsite.

But you know what, women have always had to watch their backs when it comes to being out and about or even at home. This has been true since "man"kind began. The "weaker" sex has always been seen as prey by the predators. But guess what...Every woman who is out traveling solo is paying very close attention to what is going on around them. It becomes a habit to do so.

I always go inside to pay now--either CC or cash. Gives me a chance to scope out the territory on my way in/out, and at my age I never pass up an opportunity to use the facilities. IMO, 9 times out of 10 you can avoid being a victim of a crime of opportunity. Carry yourself confidently, be situationally aware, carry some type of PPD (personal protection device) and, for pete's sake, LOCK YOUR DOORS!

travelaround said:
I appreciate the warning. I don't fit your victim profile though, because I always lock my doors while fueling, and I carry a wallet, and don't ever put my money into a purse. Long time habit - wallet in left pocket and keys in right pocket.

Nice!  We call that a survivor mentality...

Put me the 'don't lock the doors while fueling' column.

If something really dangerous happens, I want to have the option to be able to hop in and drive out of harm's way quickly.

My fuel inlet is just aft of the driver's door.

I do lock the doors when I go inside the store.

I got scammed by someone using some kind of remote credit card scanner. Basically, a guy walked up to my van as I was eating and asked me for change. I said I didn't have any. He walked off but then came back and asked if I had any bottles of water. At that point I was suspicious and rolled up my window a little more. The next morning my credit card was denied for getting coffee. When I called my bank I was told that someone tried to use my credit card the night before to buy stuff in New York, I was in a different state. I don't know if those wallets protectors work. But I don't keep my wallet right next to me when I'm stopped and sitting in the driver seat.

Sent from my 5049Z using Tapatalk

Do RFID blocking products work? Well yes they do if they are good quality products. RFID blocking is why you need an external radio antenna on your metal vehicle to get a good radio signal.

RVTravel said:
The term weaker should not be used.

pretty sure maki was not using that term as an insult, hence the quotation marks (like "air quotes" if talking to someone in person) around "man"kind and "weaker"...i think it was more to highlight the mentality of would-be crooks and how they typically view women.

Latest posts