A "test" for those thinking about van living.............

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I related in another thread, experienced 'dweller @lennyflank tells the van-curious to try living in the bathroom for a month, but you can't use the toilet, shower, or running water. :)

Not a test per se, but here's some advice for the van-curious that might improve their life even if they never live in a vehicle.
Great link! One of the best I've seen. Thank you.

"Vandwelling" covers a huge range of actual living conditions. From being in a spacious RV with all the amenities, to living in a compact car with the barest necessities. To moving with the seasons so the climate is always great, to planting in one spot and dealing with horrendous weather. Being in town vs in the boonies far from humans... etc. The important part is putting together a rig and living situation that works for you, to the best of your ability. Why are you doing this? What is the appeal? What are you escaping, and what is drawing you? What is important to you and what isn't? And then try it out... for months, then years. Only then will you really know.

For instance... I like a spartan rig. This isn't because I'm $ limited, it's what I prefer. Simple. Offroad capability and durability are important. I move with the seasons and usually camp where there are no people for miles, so I do everything outside except for rare rainy days. I'm not stuck in a tiny box; rather I live in a vast and beautiful landscape like I wouldn't be able to own unless I was a billionaire. I don't poop in a bucket... I poop outside. I can shower every day if I want, but I don't. The less you bathe the less you need to bathe, because our bodies are not designed to be "cleaned" all the time! When I do bathe, it only takes a gallon of water or two, heated by the sun.

A two week trip is a vacation, not a way of life. A couple years ago when my now ex-wife "decided" that she wanted ditch all the crap she'd accumulated and go vagabonding (she knew I'd love it!), we took a little test trip. She enjoyed it quite a bit. I asked her, "Now string 100 of these trips together, would you still like it?" Her immediate response was that she'd be dead! "No, that's only 4 years"... and she got a pained look on her face. I think she knew she was not ready.

For me it was important to get to the point of "no plans". Nothing to do, nothing to think about, nothing to be. That's where freedom lies. Freedom from your self...

Everybody's got a different trip going on, which is why it isn't going to be contained by a simple list of rules. But it is an interesting topic to ponder and discuss!
That indeed is freedom. Janis Joplin ALMOST had it right. Her lyrics were: "Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose." I believe freedom starts when you have "lost" (sold, donated, trashed) everything you didn't need in the first place. Sometimes, that includes relationships, too.

People have often ask, "Gee, I wonder if I/we could live like you." No brick and mortar, no property tax, etc." When someone asks me that question, I try to come up with questions that could help them make the decision. Some are silly, such as "Do you have a large collection of salt and pepper shakers? That's really not that silly, because if you have a collection of anything that is either fragile or takes up a lot of space, you're going to have to make some hard choices. Others focus on finances, health issues, etc. I try to help folks decide whether or not van life is something they should seriously consider.

So now comes the "Test." What questions or scenarios do you offer when asked these questions? I thought it would be interesting and helpful for folks to have topics to consider while trying to make this life-changing (and life-improving" decision.

Perhaps we could a place on the forum where we could "store" the information. Just a thought.
Hi Geneeus, I think the most important questions have to do with water--how it must be managed, including waste water, and vehicle maintenance, breakdowns and insurance. Just my idea of the 2 things that give me pause.

Very true. Loneliness and feeling disconnected from the people you love can definitely be a con of this lifestyle. A lot of people don't realize how much they need the daily consistency of family and friends and chatting over zoom isn't the same. I love traveling and I love being with people who really know and accept me. Traveling part-time gives me the best of both worlds.
Oh yes, but you can feel lonely and disconnected in a sticks and bricks home too. You can, if living vanlife, join a caravan. That is one reason I would like to try it. I imagine opening my door and seeing friends a few feet away. No fences, hedges, or jobs that ate our lives separating us.

Oh yes, but you can feel lonely and disconnected in a sticks and bricks home too. You can, if living vanlife, join a caravan. That is one reason I would like to try it. I imagine opening my door and seeing friends a few feet away. No fences, hedges, or jobs that ate our lives separating us.
I've never felt lonely or disconnected in a house but I know some people struggle with that. If what they're lacking is access to people, then joining a caravan may be what they need to feel connected. I love being meeting new people and doing things with people but I'm slow to trust people. I need to know people for a significant amount of time to feel like they're friends versus people I'm with for the moment. I really believe people need to try different things until they find what works for them.

I feel trapped in a house. I'm one of those people who always wonders what's down the road. Being a nature photographer speaks to my love of the outdoors. I just can't find Peace in a city. Piece of mind, Quite, No one in sight...that's Peace to me.

My first question to them is ... can you give up all your relationships? For those who live near their friends and family, going back decades sometimes, I try to shock them into understanding what it would be like on their own. One cannot make "old friends". I have seen too many regrets in my travels.
That's a really good one, that's not just a matter of how to live in the vehicle. But a person's social networks. A component of satisfaction and happiness for many. Also communities united around some special interest you might have that you can't find just anywhere.

One nice thing is I can now visit old friends who live in urban areas and don't have large houses. Especially if they have a place to park I can visit without imposing in their already full space.