A "test" for those thinking about van living.............

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geneeus

Supporting Member
Reaction score
People have often ask, "Gee, I wonder if I/we could live like you." No brick and mortar, no property tax, etc." When someone asks me that question, I try to come up with questions that could help them make the decision. Some are silly, such as "Do you have a large collection of salt and pepper shakers? That's really not that silly, because if you have a collection of anything that is either fragile or takes up a lot of space, you're going to have to make some hard choices. Others focus on finances, health issues, etc. I try to help folks decide whether or not van life is something they should seriously consider.

So now comes the "Test." What questions or scenarios do you offer when asked these questions? I thought it would be interesting and helpful for folks to have topics to consider while trying to make this life-changing (and life-improving" decision.

Perhaps we could a place on the forum where we could "store" the information. Just a thought.

I don't think a question test will be accurate. Most people are not able to be honest with themselves to the point of accurately answering the questions. Part of it is a lack of experience or knowledge.

I thing the real test is something like this:

Pack up what you think you will need in your vehicle (a cheat sheet is okay with this), and go car camping for two weeks. After two weeks, on your drive back to the sticks and bricks, are you crying for joy to be back in "civilization" or are you crying out of sorrow because you are leaving paradise?

For me, it was the latter. I got back to my sticks and bricks, mowed the lawn, paid some bills, repacked my system, and three days later I was back on the road for another two weeks.

As I related in another thread, experienced 'dweller @lennyflank tells the van-curious to try living in the bathroom for a month, but you can't use the toilet, shower, or running water. :)

Not a test per se, but here's some advice for the van-curious that might improve their life even if they never live in a vehicle.

Another option is Bob Wells' "poop test":

Can you poop in the bucket, and on good days use public toilet? Live for days without a shower?
Those questions and more will be answered with the two week test.

Those questions and more will be answered with the two week test.
Simple mental test is faster than 2 weeks of camping, IMHO.

Yes I can and I have.
Of course, obviously, because you are a vandweller. I am not surprised.

OP asked about a question to ask people who are wondering if they can live like him, in van. To get those people in a mindset, thinking about what compromises they have to make to life such free life.

Simple mental test is faster than 2 weeks of camping, IMHO.

Of course, obviously, because you are a vandweller. I am not surprised.

OP asked about a question to ask people who are wondering if they can live like him, in van. To get those people in a mindset, thinking about what compromises they have to make to life such free life.
Well actually I live in a RV but I did have a bucket at one time.

I have always liked the idea of marking out with tape a van or vehicle sized space inside wherever you are living now, then try to set it up for travel and live within that confined space for awhile.

Practice all of your daily living activities to get an understanding of what is involved and what is required to keep basic needs maintained.

Add to that the how one would handle a $1,000-$2,000 emergency repair on your vehicle.

People have often ask, "Gee, I wonder if I/we could live like you." No brick and mortar, no property tax, etc." When someone asks me that question, I try to come up with questions that could help them make the decision. Some are silly, such as "Do you have a large collection of salt and pepper shakers? That's really not that silly, because if you have a collection of anything that is either fragile or takes up a lot of space, you're going to have to make some hard choices. Others focus on finances, health issues, etc. I try to help folks decide whether or not van life is something they should seriously consider.

So now comes the "Test." What questions or scenarios do you offer when asked these questions? I thought it would be interesting and helpful for folks to have topics to consider while trying to make this life-changing (and life-improving" decision.

P

Perhaps we could a place on the forum where we could "store" the information.

Perhaps we could a place on the forum where we could "store" the information. Just a thought.
Once upon a time I bought an older pickup, I had plans on building a shed & deck, & needed the vehicle for hauling stuff. Not two weeks later someone asked me to help move. (lol) 2 pickups, 10 people all day to move from an upstairs one bedroom apt, across the complex to an upstairs two bedroom apt. Which reminds me of working construction across the state, I'd move from one rv park across the state to another. I'd put my coffee pot in the sink, tv & microwave on the floor, disconnect the water, power & sewer from the class C, & be on my way in 15 minutes.
PS, & never paid more than $20 for electrical power.
erhaps we could a place on the forum where we could "store" the information. Just a th

"Vandwelling" covers a huge range of actual living conditions. From being in a spacious RV with all the amenities, to living in a compact car with the barest necessities. To moving with the seasons so the climate is always great, to planting in one spot and dealing with horrendous weather. Being in town vs in the boonies far from humans... etc. The important part is putting together a rig and living situation that works for you, to the best of your ability. Why are you doing this? What is the appeal? What are you escaping, and what is drawing you? What is important to you and what isn't? And then try it out... for months, then years. Only then will you really know.

For instance... I like a spartan rig. This isn't because I'm $ limited, it's what I prefer. Simple. Offroad capability and durability are important. I move with the seasons and usually camp where there are no people for miles, so I do everything outside except for rare rainy days. I'm not stuck in a tiny box; rather I live in a vast and beautiful landscape like I wouldn't be able to own unless I was a billionaire. I don't poop in a bucket... I poop outside. I can shower every day if I want, but I don't. The less you bathe the less you need to bathe, because our bodies are not designed to be "cleaned" all the time! When I do bathe, it only takes a gallon of water or two, heated by the sun.

A two week trip is a vacation, not a way of life. A couple years ago when my now ex-wife "decided" that she wanted ditch all the crap she'd accumulated and go vagabonding (she knew I'd love it!), we took a little test trip. She enjoyed it quite a bit. I asked her, "Now string 100 of these trips together, would you still like it?" Her immediate response was that she'd be dead! "No, that's only 4 years"... and she got a pained look on her face. I think she knew she was not ready.

For me it was important to get to the point of "no plans". Nothing to do, nothing to think about, nothing to be. That's where freedom lies. Freedom from your self...

Everybody's got a different trip going on, which is why it isn't going to be contained by a simple list of rules. But it is an interesting topic to ponder and discuss!

I always ask 1. How do you feel about people? 2. What makes you feel good about you? and 3. Can you deal with hanging out in a small space for hours at a time?

1. Living vanlife is a life lived outdoors and in public spaces. 2. If someone needs things and material positions to feel like they're succeeding at life, this life might not be for them. 3. I've heard the saying "you live out of your vehicle, not in your vehicle," but that's not my experience. I very much lived in my vehicle and so do the people I see on the road. It's where I hang when I'm tired, when it gets dark, when I'm sick, when there are too many bugs, when the weather is bad, and when I just want to be alone. Especially if someone is doing any kind of urban dwelling, they need to be able to handle hanging out in tight spaces.

My first question to them is ... can you give up all your relationships? For those who live near their friends and family, going back decades sometimes, I try to shock them into understanding what it would be like on their own. One cannot make "old friends". I have seen too many regrets in my travels.

There is no test like actually doing it. Try living in a car/tent you already have, at a nearby boondocking site. That's what I did before embarking on 5 mo journey across the country.

Relationships-- an important consideration. Thru them I've learned other views/values/concerns. I've learned/am learning about this beautiful life which also has struggles.

My first question to them is ... can you give up all your relationships? For those who live near their friends and family, going back decades sometimes, I try to shock them into understanding what it would be like on their own. One cannot make "old friends". I have seen too many regrets in my travels.
Very true. Loneliness and feeling disconnected from the people you love can definitely be a con of this lifestyle. A lot of people don't realize how much they need the daily consistency of family and friends and chatting over zoom isn't the same. I love traveling and I love being with people who really know and accept me. Traveling part-time gives me the best of both worlds.

Ok, I guess "test" really wasn't what I had in mind. something more like "think about these issues," or "How would you feel....." And come on folks, it ain't all about pooping in a bucket!