A scenic highway in every state

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
State Route 7 in Maine
State Route 100 in Vermont
US Route 90 in Texas, Uvalde to Van Horn*
* they have it for Louisiana; it's nice there too.

Thrillist put together a good list. Makes me want to drive on all of them. I've only been on three:

Florida: Seven Mile Bridge
Illinois: Great Rivers Scenic Byway
Wisconsin: Great River Road

All the state highway maps I have identify 'scenic highways'.
Of course, everyone's idea of scenic is a little different.

A few of my favorites:
Old Hwy 61 from Duluth MN to the Canadian border.​
Int 15 between Great Falls and Helena Montana.​
Chief Joseph highway into Yellowstone Silver Gate.​

Had to chuckle to myself cause I’ve been on so many nationally and wondered what they rate for Michigan. Thought if it’s not M-22 it gotta b Pictured Rocks and the article basically says Both! Haha.
I spent last week at/ near Sleeping Bear Dunes National Seashore which is on M-22 and my summer time hang near Lake Michigan -Kamp Koon- is not far from the M-22 Scenic Drive of Pantheistic Heaven……
Awesome.D433393E-C173-4BB1-9A4A-8A130553F3F1.jpeg
Yes it is…….

Last edited:
Had to chuckle to myself cause I’ve been on so many nationally and wondered what they rate for Michigan. Thought if it’s not M-22 it gotta b Pictured Rocks and the article basically says Both! Haha.
I spent last week at/ near Sleeping Bear Dunes National Seashore which is on M-22 and my summer time hang near Lake Michigan -Kamp Koon- is not far from the M-22 Scenic Drive of Pantheistic Heaven……
Awesome.View attachment 32345
Yes it is…….

I don't remember M-22 but I do remember driving M-28 from Munising to Marguette and back each work day for 6 months. It's so nice seeing that shore. Thanks for sharing.

I don't remember M-22 but I do remember driving M-28 from Munising to Marguette and back each work day for 6 months. It's so nice seeing that shore.
Two years ago I was headed east from Marquette and went up to Pictured Rocks,Grand Marais,etc. I wanted to stay as much as I could along the shore and was headed from Deer Park to Paradise when I took a shortcut that I guess went thru the Newberry SF. That drive was thru some of the densest, wildest forest I've ever seen! It was actually kind of spooky.

Last edited:
@gone2day When I first went to the UP, we came up from LP across the Mac and then thru the Hiawatha National Forest. And on, and on, and on. It was well after dark when we first came to Munising. We checked into the Miss Munising hotel downtown. The room has the iron double bed, skelton or something like that key, sink in bedroom, and down the all was the toilet and shower/bath.

That was about 1972, and would have sworn I stepped back into about the 1950's. But I fell in love with that little town. And the deep dark Forrest are spooky.