A newbie's food storage, can it be better? (Rodents)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AntiGroundhogDay

Reaction score
I eat a Whole Food Plant-Based diet.  I'd like your opinion on how I plan to store my food for travel in my SUV to the Southwest this winter.  If I'm cruising for a bruising in terms of inviting rodents, I'd like to know, and I'd also like any suggestions for someone space constrained.  I plan to stay in a given boondocking site for up to 1 week at a time.  Thanks!

Plain Oatmeal - reused, plastic screw-top pretzel container. 
Ground Flax Seed - original resealable pouch with velcro-like seal.
Sunflower Seeds - original screw-top container.
Cinnamon Powder - reused, plastic screw-top container.
Mixed Vegetables - canned.
Bananas - lose in a fabric bag.
Apples - lose in a fabric bag.
Oranges - lose in a fabric bag.
Broccoli Sprouts - grown in stackable, plastic trays, no sealing lid.
Rice - reused, screw-top container.
Raw/Dry Lentils & Beans - reused, plastic screw-top container.
Peanut Butter - original screw-top container.

*None of my screw-top plastic containers have any sort of seal, but they appear to be leak proof when I store water in them.

*Picture of various containers I use: https://photos.app.goo.gl/2yMZeVVhsoRcJ7Dj7

I would suggest you use a sealed tote or 5 gallon bucket with a Gama lid to store those items that you can in their containers in. Two layers to eat through and contain the smell of food.

bullfrog said:
I would suggest you use a sealed tote or 5 gallon bucket with a Gama lid to store those items that you can in their containers in. Two layers to eat through and contain the smell of food.

OK, I was afraid someone was going to suggest a sealed gama lid type of storage as containers like that make organizing and squeezing things in all the nooks of an SUV to maximize space challenging.  I've decided to move the flaxseed from the pouch to a hard plastic container with a screw-on lid already and I forgot about my TP that needs to go in one as well.  But if you feel strongly about smell and chewing with only one layer of hard plastic I'll do what I can.  Thanks!

We store our food in containers that are very similar to what you are planning to use and have never had a problem with rodents getting into anything. I think it's more of a matter of keeping your living area clean, not spilling food, or leaving dishes dirty so that animals aren't attracted by the smells. People with dogs and cats seem to have more problems because of the food dishes.

i have no real world experience yet with this other than knowing mice and varmints can get through alot of plastics if left alone... i can't imagine there would be much issue unless you have a lil stowaway for some time.

it has been suggested here before that folks use mason jars in socks to prevent breaking.

that is the route I'm leaning to... i really an not a fan of plastic to store food... metal and glass is my preference. 

metal cannisters used to be very common among the pioneers of yesteryore...maybe better than glass for a traveler.

You should be fine. Even with the best preparation, you still may acquire a mouse, so bring a few snap traps.

The most fool-proof method is to keep ALL your food in metal/glass containers. But that is both heavy and bulky.

I use an Action Packer to store all my food items. https://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-1172-ActionPacker-Storage-Gallon/dp/B00002N6SQ

Rodents CAN gnaw through plastic, given time. So the trick is to make sure the plastic is thick enough that they can't gnaw through it in one night, so you'll notice what is happening before they get to the actual food. A wooden chuck box would work for the same reason.

I acquired a mouse last year in Prescott and lost some crackers and similar stuff that was in paper packages. This was before I got the Action Packer. No trouble since.

I'm not a huge fan of plastic either, but I'm also not strong enough to lift a wooden box full of glass and metal containers. So - plastic it is.

plastic is not rodent proof or even bug proof and there is a health risk according to some. I know if you leave something in certain types of plastic long enough it imparts a bad taste to the food. however I use some plastic storage, like Karen said keep your place clean. I do use Mason Jars for a lot of storage. highdesertranger

The fabric or string bags are good, but as you drive make sure you hang them so they don't bump into anything, the wall, each other, or anything else. I do that and they don't end up all bruised. The one bag of pears that bumped a small spot of the counter was badly bruised.
I put all my breads in a metal tin (Thrift store) and most stuff is kept in its store package. Noodles etc. But we don't go out but for short trips so we aren't out long enough that we have had any rodent trouble.... yet. I do keep things once opened, sealed up and we keep things very clean. so not much left out for bugs. We did have trouble once (first trip out) with a raccoon and dog food. Lesson learned! I do some storage in mason jars and my spices are stored in small glass jars. Hubby insists on candy by the drivers seat, old travel habits of his. No buggy problem there yet but if there is, he is going to hear plenty from me about that nasty habit.

It's often possible to get 5 gallon food grade buckets for free from a grocery store's bakery. I work in a bakery and we used to give them away to anyone who asked. I have a couple of them that I plan to put cushioned tops on to use as seats as well as storage.

If you sew - you can get deployed air bag material from junk yards for free or a small cost.  They are made out of spectra cloth, the same material used for bullet proof vests; varmints cannot chew through it.

Thrift stores have steel rectangular cookie tins.

Men's tupperware (ammo cans).  Steel, sealed, but heavy.  A bear would have to work hard to get into one.

I have not had a problem with plastic buckets with gamma seal lids.  Gamma seal does make rectangular food storage 'buckets' ($$).

Most foods that come in a box or bag I put inside an old Coleman cooler.

It's probably better than a tote at sealing up food odors and it's thick enough mice can't chew through it.

You get a little less inside storage room compared to a tote with the same outside dimension.

I think I paid $3 for it at a Goodwill store.

That cooler idea sounds very good. I have a old fashion metal bread box from the 50s and 60s. That I put the most vulnerable things in. I think I might replace it with a cooler because it would be much bigger. Cross my fingers but I have not had mouse or a bug problems yet. I do use a lot of canned veggies, fruits and meats (walnut creek brand has good beef chicken and turkey canned with those easy open tops)and I always look for a recycling place for the cans but can’t always find one on the road. Smashing the cans after you use them makes it easier to store them for a while. You know I hate 5 gallon buckets. The shape of those things makes them waste space. square buckets makes so much more sense, when space is a premium. I was able to find square buckets at a bulk food store for a quarter apiece and I have seen them in the Uline catalog. Most of them are two or 3 gallon and they stack very well.

Some suggestions would be hard to implement in a small SUV, but I'll look into it. Some nomads on other forums say I'll be fine if I just keep things tidy. *shrugs* We'll see. TY for all the suggestions.

Great point, haha.  I think I'm just going to run with the plastic containers I have and put them inside another plastic container if it fits my layout, else they all stay in my fabric food bag.

I go to thrift stores and, for about $2 each, buy used metal containers (square or round edges) with airtight lids. Containers for Danish Christmas cookies are one example. The mice cannot chew through them.

Spaceman Spiff said:
If you sew - you can get deployed air bag material from junk yards for free or a small cost.  They are made out of spectra cloth, the same material used for bullet proof vests; varmints cannot chew through it.
I am now curious about the spectra cloth. What is it made from and is this food safe. I know I would spill something on it and then lick it off with my spoon or finger. If it sits with fresh fruit for long what would it be like to eat... funny taste etc? I'm thinking maybe for my cereal and breads... I'm always looking for things I can sew and for things for my foods .

Every thing I have is original containers in some sort of tub. Coolers count, so do shoe box size boxes, which I also use for cutlery and my first aid kit.

Most stuff goes in either a half height rubber maid tub or these newer Husky brand boxes from Home Depot

My space is small enough that I hear any invasion. Traps go out the next night, I usually set two and they usually both get used.

normal good smart containment, if you are only doing 'like a week at a time' no monster infestation should truly find you and take ya over in any way. I agree with Skyl4rk, nothing is gonna go down big in a week sitting there I hope for ya!!