79 sunrader oil leak

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stovert

Reaction score
Hello, I’m new to this forum and RV living. I just bought a 79 sunrader with a 20r 4 cylinder engine. I was wondering if those engines naturally burn oil?

"I was wondering if those engines naturally burn oil?"

short answer , No.
if it is using oil, find out why.

in the title it says oil leak. they are prone to leak after many miles.

highdesertranger

I had an 86 4Runner with the 22RE. It always used some oil. Especially on long highway drives. It didn't smoke though and it never seemed to get worse. If it's blowing blue smoke, that's oil. Worn rings most likely. If it only smokes on start up that's usually the valve guide seals. No biggie as long as it starts ok.

I had an 86 pickup with the 22R and manual transmission. That thing was a runner. Uncomfortable to drive but great on gas.

I've been driving old vehicles most of my life. When I had one that smoked, I'd put in a bottle of STP or similar when I changed the oil. Lucas Oil Stabilizer is another. Pricey though

Those old Toyota's are hard to kill minus a timing chain or head gasket problem.

My 2 cents. That's about all I can say without actually seeing and hearing it run

Thanks all for the replies. I do believe it “uses oil” cuz I just took it on a 600 mile drive from st George Utah to Laughlin Nevada and back. It was about 3 courts low when I got back and I don’t see any smoke or oil leaking.

Stovert said:
I do believe it “uses oil” cuz I just took it on a 600 mile drive from st George Utah to Laughlin Nevada and back. It was about 3 courts low when I got back and I don’t see any smoke or oil leaking.

If I remember correctly, they only hold 4 quarts so if it was down 3, you're lucky it didn't die.  Are you sure you're checking it when it's level and after it's sat for 15 minutes or so?  Have someone follow you and see if they notice blue smoke. If it's not leaking, it has to be burning it.

Oil doesn’t just disappear. Regular maintenance requires the positive crankcase valve (PVC) be replaced and it usually isn’t. Mechanical fuel pumps when they go bad leak gasoline into the crankcase diluting the oil making it thin enough to get past the oil control ring and into the combustion chamber and burned. If carbureted I believe the carburetor had a cold fuel enrichment diaphragm that would rupture and cause a rich condition that would lead to oil dilution as well. Is your low oil pressure light working? I can’t imagine loosing 3 quarts of oil and it not coming on. A cylinder leakage test / compression is required. Also oil control rings can bind or freeze in their grooves if they have sat for a long period of time. Change the oil and filter and check it on level ground each morning before you start it. If the PVC valve is clogged up pull the valve cover and clean out as best you can under the riveted plate in the top of the cover as well. Setting can ruin the valve seals located inside the springs inside the valve cover so check those as well. If you find pieces if rubber loose in the valleys where the oil puddles those are the remains of the seals. The 20 series engine is a really easy engine to work on but factory Toyota parts are expensive but the best as far as quality. Bad valve seals usually cause the engine to smoke when you first start it up after sitting, oil rings usually smoke when decelerating with the engine hot.

Stovert said:
Hello, I’m new to this forum and RV living. I just bought a 79 sunrader with a 20r 4 cylinder engine. I was wondering if those engines naturally burn oil?
there is a forum for Toyota Motorhomes. Lots of people there who have Sunraders.  Good place to join for very specific advice on your particular RV.

yikes 3 quarts in 600 miles. something ain't right,

are you sure it was full when you left?
are you sure you checked it correctly?
that amount of oil in 600 miles it's got to be smoking? that's a quart every 200 miles!
did you check the radiator water too?

highdesertranger

I don't know if you checked the oil level before your trip, but if it was full or at least a lot higher than it was when you checked it after the trip, there could have been a lot of water in the oil if it had been sitting or driven without getting the engine hot.
The water will burn off while you're driving once it gets hot and it will appear as though it used/burnt a lot of oil.