$50 GreeSonic Authentic MPPT Solar Charge Controller 15A 12V/ 24V Waterproof (MPPT157

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

free2enjoy

Reaction score
I just bought this $50 MPPT controller on Amazon for a solar project on my T@B trailer.  I'm going to use it for a 160w Folding Elfeland Solar Panel.  

MPPT controller
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071QXGV1Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Solar Panel
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Elfeland-1...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Voltmeter Ammeter Panel (built in shunt)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GZP743E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Extension Cable to connect from solar panel to controller
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-of-So...var=581999250299&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I went back and forth on whether to mount a flexible panel or use a portable panel and in the end, I couldn't figure out an attractive way to mount the panel.  I didn't want to use VHB tape because it will damage the gelcoat in order to remove it.  With the portable setup, it's less labor overall and the camper can stay in the shade while the panels are in the sun.

I have nearly everything I need for the install but haven't started yet but I wanted to post the specs on the MPPT controller for the tribe....once I do the install, I will report back to relate how everything is working.

Attachments

• IMG_1294.jpg
    IMG_1294.jpg
    777.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1295.jpg
    IMG_1295.jpg
    486.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1290 (1).jpg
    IMG_1290 (1).jpg
    705.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1291 (1).jpg
    IMG_1291 (1).jpg
    661 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1292 (1).jpg
    IMG_1292 (1).jpg
    646.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1293 (1).jpg
    IMG_1293 (1).jpg
    494.1 KB · Views: 9
I hope it works out great. Controllers like it and the Eco-worthy 20a are what makes upgrading to MPPT possible.

Will def be watching this thread to see how it goes...want to have solar for my future T@B too, and have been imaging the best way would be with portable panels

The T@B I have is a 2005 made by Dutchmen in the USA. The styling and ergonomics are really amazing and I'm 6'3". My gf and I bought it to rent out and also keep it for a lifeboat for the next hurricane or disaster, and also to have fun with. We also will be taking long practice trips for our future nomad life. Right now I'm fulltime in my 5th wheel at a local campground while she's living in her house. Once her youngest is done with high school then we hit the road for good.

This MPPT controller is waterproof and has a temp probe sticking out of it so I'm thinking the best place for mounting it might be right next to the battery rather than inside the unit where their might be a different temperature if we are using a heater or whatever.

Probably within the next couple weeks I will have the install done and post the results.

Since this is limited to 15 charging amps, I could see having two or three of these when scaling the system up in size. That would give some redundancy if one unit should fail. There's a brand of solar panels that has an MPPT on each panel and I forgot why they did it that way.

I believe I have the same ammeter, but from a different seller. It's great, but it did die pretty quick. Not sure why. They sent out a replacement quickly. Let us know how yours works.

I got the foldable (2x80w connected with zipper) flexible solar panels in from eBay and they look good overall and came with two branch connectors for using them in parallel.   I’m going to use them in series since my controller can handle the voltage.  

I took them out to measure their voltages, late afternoon with cloudy skies and they measure almost 3 volts different.  One was about 14v and the other 17v.   I just tried again this morning with direct sun and both are reading 20.5.   

The seller is checking on this for me as I’m not sure if one panel has an issue.

Well, in full sun both panels are putting out 20.5v’s.   So it looks like they are fine.

Attachments

• 01A6BB59-D1B8-406C-9B8C-7052536DDA51.jpeg
    01A6BB59-D1B8-406C-9B8C-7052536DDA51.jpeg
    152 KB · Views: 8
  • E595A047-CD72-4FDD-BA87-B2B58F618D07.jpeg
    E595A047-CD72-4FDD-BA87-B2B58F618D07.jpeg
    68.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 68241C77-1EB3-4A52-BF18-B7F822D66216.jpeg
    68241C77-1EB3-4A52-BF18-B7F822D66216.jpeg
    153.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 4F60035C-E0CE-4018-9DBB-A91F8C05A046.jpeg
    4F60035C-E0CE-4018-9DBB-A91F8C05A046.jpeg
    43.6 KB · Views: 8
Voltage differences do happen...if they both have a serial number, see if they are close together off the production line. 

Another way to check power output is to check the amps you get from each panel independently, with the same amount of bright sun on each one.

I finally got around to doing a couple projects on my 2005 T@B.  We bought this last fall to be a rental, a lifeboat and for fun.   It’s also a way for me to nail down solar on a small, inexpensive scale.

Feedback encouraged please!  

I installed the Greesonic 15A MPPT charge controller and the port to plug in the flexible 160w solar panels.  

The controller is waterproof and also has a temperature sensor (the short pigtail sticking out) so I wanted to mount it outside the living space so it would have the best temperature reading.  So I put it next to the battery (I haven’t secured it yet because I’ve got more stuff to install that I don’t have like shunts but I plan to use VHB tape.  

I found a hole in the frame that the port almost fit into so I used a step drill bit open it up just a little more for a perfect fit.  

So I just did a basic install to see how well the controller worked.  So far it’s going through all its charging modes like a champ.  

The battery that came with the camper is a Marine Deep Cycle (5 years old) and needs to go.  I’m going to replace it with the largest 12v deep cycle I can find probably.  

I also installed a port that has a 12v car outlet (cigarette jack), a voltmeter, and 2 2.1A USB ports.   At Home Depot I found a 140w modifier sine wave inverter to go in the 12v outlet.  

I connected these ports to the 15A circuit for the three lights in the camper.   I changed those lights to LEDs leaving most of the circuit free for me to use for these ports.  

So to test this circuit, I plugged an iPhone and iPad into the USB chargers and the inverter into the 12v outlet then connected my laptop charger to that.   All these devices were charging and with their screens on and the circuit didn’t blow the fuse.  

So for making this camper good for boondocking, I think it just needs the new battery, the displays for monitoring the charging and discharging, and a couple fuses.   I also found a 25’ 10 AWG extension cable for $25 shipped for the solar panels and the panels are in series.   It would be easy to add two more panels and another controller but this seems enough for now.  

I will add pics in a little later....

Attachments

• IMG_1876.jpg
    IMG_1876.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1877.jpg
    IMG_1877.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1859.jpg
    IMG_1859.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1880.jpg
    IMG_1880.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1849.jpg
    IMG_1849.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1884.jpg
    IMG_1884.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1882.jpg
    IMG_1882.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1848.jpg
    IMG_1848.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 026666709774.jpg
    026666709774.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 3
free2enjoy said:
I finally got around to doing a couple projects on my 2005 T@B.  We bought this last fall to be a rental, a lifeboat and for fun.   It’s also a way for me to nail down solar on a small, inexpensive scale.

Feedback encouraged please!  

I installed the Greesonic 15A MPPT charge controller and the port to plug in the flexible 160w solar panels.  

The controller is waterproof and also has a temperature sensor (the short pigtail sticking out) so I wanted to mount it outside the living space so it would have the best temperature reading.  So I put it next to the battery (I haven’t secured it yet because I’ve got more stuff to install that I don’t have like shunts but I plan to use VHB tape.  

I found a hole in the frame that the port almost fit into so I used a step drill bit open it up just a little more for a perfect fit.  

So I just did a basic install to see how well the controller worked.  So far it’s going through all its charging modes like a champ.  

The battery that came with the camper is a Marine Deep Cycle (5 years old) and needs to go.  I’m going to replace it with the largest 12v deep cycle I can find probably.  

I also installed a port that has a 12v car outlet (cigarette jack), a voltmeter, and 2 2.1A USB ports.   At Home Depot I found a 140w modifier sine wave inverter to go in the 12v outlet.  

I connected these ports to the 15A circuit for the three lights in the camper.   I changed those lights to LEDs leaving most of the circuit free for me to use for these ports.  

So to test this circuit, I plugged an iPhone and iPad into the USB chargers and the inverter into the 12v outlet then connected my laptop charger to that.   All these devices were charging and with their screens on and the circuit didn’t blow the fuse.  

So for making this camper good for boondocking, I think it just needs the new battery, the displays for monitoring the charging and discharging, and a couple fuses.   I also found a 25’ 10 AWG extension cable for $25 shipped for the solar panels and the panels are in series.   It would be easy to add two more panels and another controller but this seems enough for now.  

I will add pics in a little later....

It seems like you have a good grasp of the basics.  One thing about batteries, they like moderately warm over cold.  The value from moving them will depend on your usage.  You are right to have the controller temperature sensor next to the battery.  Not sure exactly what you are doing with your 'port' setup, but you should consider a fuse block.  People here like the Blue Sea, IIRC.

Monitoring your actual amount of use and charge should be most of what you need to do (and adjusting for same!).  Also, you might want to create your own thread to get more responses.

free2enjoy said:
I have nearly everything I need for the install but haven't started yet but I wanted to post the specs on the MPPT controller for the tribe....once I do the install, I will report back to relate how everything is working.

Do you have a way to measure panel voltage during Bulk charging?  Not sure there is an easy way since there are wires instead of terminals on the controller.

I have a theory about how this controller works.  If I'm right then panel voltage measured at the controller will be somewhere between Vmp and Vbatt.  Maybe 15v - 16.8v.