3M 99

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zerpersande

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with using this glue for 4-way stretch carpet?

All 3M Adhesives are top quality. I have used 99 on putting tolex on guitar speaker cabinets and headliners in several vehicles with no issues, just spray on each piece and stick together. 5200 is another great product but just make sure you have it where you want it there is no moving it after it cures. Even cures underwater.

I used 3M 90 to attach fabric to reflectix for my window covers. It worked ok (so far), but I'm surprised because neither of the cans I bought sprayed properly. The glue came out in globs. After the first can I Googled it and found that the same thing happened to lots of people. Thought it was a fluke, so I bought another and same thing happened. Bought them at two different stores.

So yeah, the product works. Just hope you get lucky with the can you buy.

3m.jpg

That is not a super 90 3M product defect. That is its normal characteristic. It always sprays out that way. Has always done so. You (and many others) are just, in your own mind, expecting that it should spray out in a even mist and when it does not you think that is a defective can. But it is not, that is just its standard characteristic.

Super 70 is the 3m product that sprays in a finer mist. However super 70 is not suitable for holding power in high temperatures such as can happen in a closed vehicle on hot days.

I do not use super 90. I prefer brush on application of the type of yellow VOC containing contact cement. It is less costly than Super 90 per square inch of coverage but of course no VOC adhesive is going to be inexpensive. Still you do need to use them when neither material you are bonding together is moisture absorbent. In that situation water based adhesives do not work for an instant strong, long lasting, grip on vertical or overhead materials where you are not also using mechanical fasteners.

Last edited: