32 Nervous Surfers

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SternWake

Reaction score
One of the world's most powerful,
most spectacular waves,
located in Tahiti,
is about to get....
as good as it gets.

teahupoo_leadp1_ss.jpg

It just so happens the world tour is there. The top 32 competing surfers in the world are going to be required to throw themselves over the ledge, and pull into monstrous blue spitting caverns, or get rag dolled across the very shallow, very sharp coral reef, or just cower in the lineup never catching a wave which would signal the end of their surfing career and the end of an incredible lifestyle. Being paid to travel and surf the best waves in the world with only 1 or 2 other guys in the water.

They have flown special flotation vests down there to give to any surfer who wants one, as this will be as big of surf that can be paddled into. 2 years ago the swell got so big here they had to call off the contest until it dropped.

Any bigger than tomorrow is forecast to be, and one needs a Jet Ski to catch the wave, and it is a scary mutant of a wave even at 6 foot. At 20 foot is is simply ridiculous.

The contest will start about 7 am Tahiti time which is 3 hours behind California and 6 hours behind the East coast.

11 time world champ, 42 year old Kelly Slater is to be in the first 3 man Heat.

It should be one of Earth's great spectacles.

I know to non surfers it starts to look all the same, but check it out anyway, for a bit.

http://www.aspworldtour.com/events/2014/mct/698/billabong-pro-tahiti/live

That same swell should arrive here in about 5 more days, much decayed though.

Well, the Eastcoast Florida surfers may be disappointed. TS Cristobal is heading more northerly, may just barely make some waves for us. The Carolinas look in better shape, as the storm will come closer there.
My old Navy E6 on my frigate was a Jacksonville, Florida surfer bum, back in the early '80s.

The Show is back on today, finals day. Waves bigger than can be paddled into are regularly grinding through the lineup.

Kelly Slater called it the best conditions in a surf contest ever.

East coast should get some waves from Cristobal.

Marie is sending what might be the biggest south swell to hot SouthernCalifornia in years,

And the swell hitting Tahiti right now, should be here in about 5 or 6 more days

http://www.aspworldtour.com/?cid=sl-SURFLINE_TAHITI_HOMEPAGE-TO

Saltwater cannons. Epic conditions. Incredibly impressive display of oceanic beauty.

Florence and Slater have not seen a better run!

Shame Medina took it. Great surfer, but Brazilians have ruined way too many of my surf sessions over the years and I am Biased, heavily, against them, even the humble ones.

Florence, like Parko, makes it look way too easy and I think is underscored as a result.