24/7 Chat About Anything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m back to the hand dr saying it’s my neck and my neck dr saying it’s my hands. I’m pretty down right now as I feel like they are going to waste my time redoing tests and won’t get what I need. The dr spent a lot of time with other patients and about an hour late got to me and spent maybe 30 seconds. I was waiting for the nurse to schedule am emg but I had to go because my parking two hours were about up. She never got back to me... But meanwhile I did what the “neck doctor” aka neurosurgeon had me do and wore my neck brace. It helped some, but my pain is mounting and I don’t think the hand surgeon was really listening. He was busy and I felt he took a short cut and blew me off... I won’t lie, I was not happy! So no... I’m getting no therapy and no relief...
Ben, what is happening with your hand? I tried looking back at your posts but it wasn't evident. The reason I ask is because I recently had disc replacements in my upper back/neck area.

Among the symptoms I was dealing with was weak hand strength, numbing and tingling, and even pain at times. Among a few other non hand related issues.
That went away with the replacement.

One thing I didn't know until months ago is there is a spectrum of MRI detail.

I got a "regular" MRI and the surgeon needed better images. So he sent me to a place that had higher definition MRI machines. Looking at the images from the better one, he showed me my spine as it sat inside my vertebrae. Looked like a smooth white tube. Until you got to the neck area. Then it looked like an liquid otter pop tube when you're holding it. It was like someone was pressing their finger in two places. Not flat, but just indented in those spots. Smooth in the rest.

After the surgery one of the first things I noticed is that the hand and arm issues were gone. The strength is coming back as the area heals.

I mention all this to point out a few things. This is your body. If your doctors aren't interested or capable, fire them and get better ones. That's what I've had to do and it's been well worth it. I only deal with the best doctor available with my insurance. And take the time to research them. I'm more than willing to do some of that research for you if needed.

If they are capable, make sure you're getting the right scans with the right equipment. X-rays couldn't show what was wrong with my back. And normal MRI wasn't defined enough. I probably glow in the dark these days lol.

Sorry I haven't been tracking along with your situation. But I hope this helps in some way.

Today was moving day. Out of the Coconino Forest east of Flagstaff and into the Kaibab Forest West of Flagstaff.

No problem finding campsites this spring. I suspect that the horrific road damage on I-40 AZ is why there is not as much of a problem for finding campsites. But of course that is not true close into Flagstaff as all those forest areas adjacent to the city are now inside a no camping, no campfires zone.

Heads up, a totally new motor vehicle (MUV) map for the Coconino National Forest was just released by the Forest Service in mid April. The old maps are no longer accurate/valid as to where dispersed camping is allowed. It did not just change immediately around Flagstaff, there are also some changes in dispersed camping and campfire restrictions south of Flagstaff all the way down south to the Sedona area. So research before you go so that you do not arrive late in the day only to find a no camping sign where you thought it was OK to go.

Last edited:
Most successful older people I have met over come pain by doing something they refuse to let the pain prevent them from doing. It’s not that it doesn’t hurt, it’s the huge amount of joy they get from doing it and the sense of accomplishment they get by figuring out how to get it done.
Just note that Bullfrog said "figuring it out" not (necessarily) "bulling through."
Some kinds of pain get better if you exercise them. But some things actually get worse if you ignore the pain and do them anyway. So you really need that expert guidance, if you can possibly get it. And, as Ben pointed out, it is not that easy to get!

Also, not everything is solved by brute strength or just sucking it up.

All this seems to me like one more good reason (among many) to have a good primary-care doc, and to keep that relationship current, even if you nomad -- someone that you trust /and/ that knows you -- AND to get help as soon as you notice a problem, because if you wait till it's entrenched it will be much harder to fix.

Here's to the olds getting stuff done.

Good morning everyone. I hope you all find something to do with your day that makes you feel good. Just looking out the window at the sunshine streaming through the trees in the forest and creating highlights and shadows on the rocks is making me feel good. So does a hot breakfast.

Last edited:
Just note that Bullfrog said "figuring it out" not (necessarily) "bulling through."
Some kinds of pain get better if you exercise them. But some things actually get worse if you ignore the pain and do them anyway. So you really need that expert guidance, if you can possibly get it. And, as Ben pointed out, it is not that easy to get!

Also, not everything is solved by brute strength or just sucking it up.

All this seems to me like one more good reason (among many) to have a good primary-care doc, and to keep that relationship current, even if you nomad -- someone that you trust /and/ that knows you -- AND to get help as soon as you notice a problem, because if you wait till it's entrenched it will be much harder to fix.

Here's to the olds getting stuff done.
I hope bullfrog doesn’t think I sit around not doing anything... I work very hard at figuring ways to do stuff. I accomplish something about every day... just holding my toothbrush I automatically hold it different to be able to brush my teeth. So using tools and such I do just like you say, find ways to work smarter. But it doesn’t matter... no matter what I do or even don’t do I can have some serious pain. I’ve always been one to work through pain. Not because I have to bully through, but I feel strong about you can’t baby stuff. Like a back... you have to keep moving or it will probably lock up worse. If you were in Quartzsite you’d see I’m always doing something. Always trying to move forward. But the simplest things were giving me trouble. Just the throttle on my four wheeler is to much so I have to put one on I can use the left hand. You can’t get much easier then squeezing a throttle.
I’d get barely out of the ltva and I had to limp back using my left hand. I can’t even let my arm hang down to much or my fingers puff up and lose mobility. My pain at home is an eight or a nine most of the time. People say they can tell what the weather will be tomorrow... I’m like grasshopper, I can give you the ten day!
I’m not a snowflake!!!

Lol!!! You are no snowflake! I just signed up for another season mainly because my “buddy” who’s 5 years older than I am signed on to do the job as well. When I got there found out my “buddy” convinced them I could work all next winter as well! Lol!!! I asked if I could do the job on a mobility scooter thinking that would put them off, they immediately offered a Segway for me to use! Like you they are making it hard to quit! Crazy to think because younger people can’t afford to take jobs without being offered health insurance us old people on Medicare are prime candidates! Yes, I was just saying we need to find easier ways to keep doing what makes you smile while doing our best to get or stay healthy. I figured out how to get by without a throttle, I just ride as a passenger in my buddy’s UTV and by his gas! Lol!!!

Last edited:
Pick up a book, "Mucusless Diet Healing System". Sounds gross lol but it's not quite what you think.

Last edited:
Haha bullfrog... yeah, it’s how I got through the last couple years working. Finding ways to do things easier... I do feel bad for younger people as far as health care. It’s never been so unaffordable as this new affordable stuff is supposed to be. It’s been a big burden on companies as health insurance companies gouge away...but the politicians made out good with it...
So your saying... buddy up with someone with a UTV... gotcha!

I’m beginning to understand why so many old people become drunks and in a drug induced stupor most of the time. Most successful older people I have met over come pain by doing something they refuse to let the pain prevent them from doing. It’s not that it doesn’t hurt, it’s the huge amount of joy they get from doing it and the sense of accomplishment they get by figuring out how to get it done. Hope we all figure out how we can be content in our old age!
As an elderly drug-stupefied tippler, I take deep exception to your words but cannot remember why.

We are finely getting over 70 today. Yesterday we got to 70 I think. warmth takes forever to get here. So I am going to work in my rose garden and air out my Van and then go listen to some Pink Floyd music with some friends. There is a new cover band that is supposed to be really good playing in Seatle.

The Sunday morning exodus of large fifth wheel trailers and motorhomes has begun. It is quite the parade! I leave a lot earlier on Sunday mornings so I arrive at the right time grab the empty spots of the lazy Sunday morning departure folks. But my next campsite after this 14 day stay is only an hour away so I do not need to leave too early in the morning.

The weather report was showing a chance of thunderstorms and rain this morning at my location but they did not appear. I am enjoying the sunshine and making good use of it for a chore that is best done outdoors.

Hooray, the long range forecast is showing the high temps in the low 70s this week and high 40s or lower 50s at predawn! Partly cloudy most days but no thunderstorms or rain.

Very pretty views out my windows at this camp. This forest area the trees wete thinned perhaps 5 years ago and the lower branches and brush were removed. So there are long views into the forest with sunlight on the tree trunks, rock outcroppings ground and grassy clearings. No tall grass brown grass here as it is open range grazing. I did see flocks of sheep with herding dogs come in here year before last on the day this camping area was closing due to fires. There was no fire in this area but they needed all the rangers to be out fighting the big fires elsewhere instead of watching campers to make sure they were obeying the burn ban.

No sheep out grazing on the meadow lands yet. It is spring lambing season so they will still be on safer home fields with fewer coyotes around. I did see a coyote in this area last summer but have not heard any howling of packs.

I wonder now that Walnut Canyon NFS dispersed camping is closed if more grazing animals will be put onto it this coming summer? That seems likely to happen as there was a lot of certainly beautiful grass there last year and there are tanks on the land. Lots of remnants of old wire fencing were in the area. Elk are still there for the grazing but not in herds.

Go to sleep and then wake up to a different weather forecast. Now it is showing thunderstorms for the next three days. But at least it is not all day long rain and dense cloud cover. My batteries my should be topped up with solar power before the clouds arrive.

OUCH for Bob ...hope eveything turns out ok.
On a good note. There is a Chevron gas station with DQ inside, 2nd exit south bound 1-15 Beaver Utah. Easily visable from the fwy. You'll also see some uhauls there. I stop for gas/food there. Clean, friendly and ALWAYS no matter the weather they pump your gas for you !!! They are very helpful with any needs/questions etc. A pleasure to be traveling with places like this.

Yes, most of Bob's videos show the "good" side of Nomad life which I enjoy seeing, but now and then he also includes some unpleasant things as they happen to him which I think shows people when things do go bad, and they will occasionally, it is not the end of the world. If I want doom and gloom all the time, I can just watch the news, ha ha.
HA SO true. Bob does show a bit of the other side but of course most are 'how well' one does in this lifestyle, especially if forced thru life circumstances so that is always a good thing!!
Good post!!

So after 5 weeks of total hike verbot, I talked my physical therapist into "letting" me have one good walk, just to get a sense of how things are before my re-evaluation which is coming up tomorrow. If anything, it's worse than before treatment.
I wish I trusted these guys more. They don't communicate well and I seem to be caught in a turf war between two PTs (the one who actually seems to know what she's doing backed off the minute she realized she pissed the other one off, and now I'm having to beg for each round of a protocol that they've said is supposed to be done x number of times once you start it) ... I ask a million questions but the answers don't add up.
I've been at it about 10 weeks with these guys and ~5 weeks before that with some really bad PTs in a different shop. I had to push to get reassigned from the bad place, and I'm afraid if I complain to the doc again I'll get labeled a problem patient and really nobody will listen to me.
There's no mechanism at the PT shop for patients to express concerns (a bad sign, right? everybody has feedback systems these days) -- I've asked tons of questions and made plenty requests, but it's not helping. I keep trying to give them benefit-of-doubt, I know this is complicated and hard to understand, but yikes.
I'm religiously doing everything they ask, AND not doing everything they say not to do -- they'll never have a more compliant patient, I wish they'd meet me halfway. Meanwhile everything I planned for retirement is on hold, it all involved lots of walking and standing. And I am an absolute walking fool, it's the one thing I always did every day no matter what was going on, and sitting it out is making me loony tunes.

The only bright side is I discovered the city pool, so I'm going there as often as I can. (Not sure why none of these geniuses thought to recommend that.) I can do non weight bearing things so I do that and the stationary bike. And it was really gorgeous out there for my one sanctioned jailbreak today. \_(**)_/ that's something at least.

Sorry to be a downer thank you for listening!!!!!

The thundershower held off until 3 this afternoon so at least I got some work done that required out of doors time. I need another month or three of just right mornings, not cold, hot, windy or rainy. But I was grateful for just this one while it lasted 🥳

Now the thunder has started its afternoon grumbling session. I did have a visitor this morning. A guy and his long haired chihuahua came by on his mountain bike. Just the typical person curious about my unusual travel trailer. We mostly talked about his dog who was a rescue he adopted.

Last edited: