24/7 Chat About Anything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keep hydrated and know the symptoms that indicate you need to get to the hospital or doctor for help. Share them with the person checking on you hopefully 2 or 3 times a day. Best wishes, hope you get well soon!

At the risk of sounding like your mother (I know what’s new) …..
Keep in mind, what seemed like a minor cold when you were younger can lead to something serious for those in our age bracket. Rest, hydrate even ibuprofen can help.

My work here is done! 😉😉

Good news that it is not Covid. No “Long Covid” to be worried about. Bad news that you are still feeling lousy. But not too unexpected with what is now most likely to be the Norovirus.

The rebounds of feeling really lousy is likely to be caused by some serious dehydration. Dehydration is dangerous, you know that, you have had first aid training, so start the cure right away!. This is hard to do for yourself when you feel ill, we all know exactly how that goes without a help mate in the house. But push those fluids into yourself. Canned soup for the sodium replacement can be helpful.

If you can not force yourself to get rehydrated or it is not working get to the emergency clinic so they can do it. Let your daughter know you are working hard on staying hydrated to prevent any serious complications from this stomach flu.

Last edited:
Good news that it is not Covid. No “Long Covid” to be worried about. Bad news that you are still feeling lousy. But not too unexpected with what is now most likely to be the Norovirus. The rebounds of feeling really lousy is very is likely to be caused by dehydration. Dehydration is serious and dangerous, you know that, you have had first aid training, so start the cure right away!. Push those fluids into yourself. Oatmeal, is a good fiber choice for an easy sickbed meal. apple sauce. Fiber is very important as it holds the fluid for slow release in your digestive track. Earn canned soup for the sodium, hot drinks too for comfort. Do whatever is quick and easy for you to fix and drink. Water + salt + sugar + if you have any, some of the electrolyte drinks. The drug stores sell packets of rehydration powder or bottled liquidsvfor it.

If you can not force yourself to get rehydrated or it is not working get to the emergency clinic so they can do it via an IV drip. Let your daughter know you are working on rehydration to prevent those serious complications.
Pedialite... always have some around just cause it works. I like the popsicle ones. 2-3 of those will fix ya right up.

There is adult pedialite. I saw some in Walmart a while back.

There is adult pedialite. I saw some in Walmart a while back.
I swear my husband saved my life once by spooning Pedialite slush into my mouth. I was that ill with the flu several years back, in spite of my annual flu shot. Once you are really dehydrated, it's very hard to keep fluids down, but it's absolutely imperative!

Good news... today was pretty good! Headache was even tolerable... got all my propane filled and ready for the next adventure to go cook the syrup... my son was very busy making sure I’d be set up real good... we got a new to us cooker... it should put us way ahead of the game as far as how long it takes. We got a reverse osmosis set up that will remove 50% of the water to start... he built a sugar shack to put all this in... I’ll share pictures at some point...

There are lots of virus types that make you sick that are not in the influenza family. The annual flu vaccines only work for the influenza virus family. The typical
Stomach “flu” is called “flu” but it is not actually an influenza virus, that is just a mistaken common name for it. it is the Norovirus. Therefore the annual influenza virus vaccine you typically get in the fall season does absolutely nothing to prevent Norovirus because it does not give you any immunity. Totally different virus strains.

Speaking of science… sitting here in cloudy and very windy weather today near Felicity, California, just west of Yuma, Arizona, I got curious to know more about Atmospheric Rivers since it is in the news a lot this winter. It turns out there is geological sediment evidence that this major typ of ongoing cluster of them has happened approximately every 200 years. The last one in the late 1800s literally bankrupted the State of California. The streets of Sacramento were flooded for 3 months!

Here is the link to an in-depth article in Scientific America that shows images of that Sacramento situation and shows timelines of those historic events. It also explains how those atmospheric rivers are formed.
https://cw3e.ucsd.edu/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Dettinger_Ingram_sciam13.pdf
This current flooding is hitting the crop
growing fields near Salinas. Lettuce, strawberries etc. That is a big economic blow to the region.

Last edited:
Speaking of science… sitting here in cloudy and very windy weather today near Felicity, California, just west of Yuma, Arizona, I got curious to know more about Atmospheric Rivers since it is in the news a lot this winter. It turns out there is geological sediment evidence that this major typ of ongoing cluster of them has happened approximately every 200 years. The last one in the late 1800s literally bankrupted the State of California. The streets of Sacramento were flooded for 3 months!

Here is the link to an in-depth article in Scientific America that shows images of that Sacramento situation and shows timelines of those historic events. It also explains how those atmospheric rivers are formed.
https://cw3e.ucsd.edu/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Dettinger_Ingram_sciam13.pdf
This current flooding is hitting the crop
growing fields near Salinas. Lettuce, strawberries etc. That is a big economic blow to the region.
Very interesting, thanks for posting this.

I feel pretty confident in saying that from here on out, food prices are going to go up. Climate change will have major repercussions on all food-growing regions over the entire planet.

Last edited:
Very interesting, thanks for posting this.

I feel pretty confident in saying that from here on out, food prices are going to go up. Climate change will have major repercussions on all food-growing regions over the entire planet.
Climate change or not food prices have always gone up every year. I have been the grocery shopper in the family for over 50 years so have lots of evidence of that!

Fortunately the price of eggs has come back down. With Easter just a few weeks off they will take a temporary drop in price as will ham and after Easter chocolate bunnies and jelly beans will also be affordable!

Climate change or not food prices have always gone up every year. I have been the grocery shopper in the family for over 50 years so have lots of evidence of that!

Fortunately the price of eggs has come back down. With Easter just a few weeks off they will take a temporary drop in price as will ham and after Easter chocolate bunnies and jelly beans will also be affordable!
A love of gardening and growing veggies is something I'm going to have difficulty reconciling if I ever make the move to full-time nomad.

A love of gardening and growing veggies is something I'm going to have difficulty reconciling if I ever make the move to full-time nomad.
That's an issue that concerns our household, too. I can enjoy the "fruits" of others' efforts, but my husband really thrives on nurturing plants (inside and out). I enjoy his enjoyment tremendously, and have been looking for ways to reconcile that with full-time nomadic life. I suspect there are lots of opportunities to volunteer on the road (and we have engaged in a bit or gorilla landscaping), but it's something to consider lifestyle-wise.

Leaving my garden was WAAAAAY harder than anything else. For now, I carry a tote with a few houseplants in it. It does help, especially when the 'Cleopatra' begonia starts to flower as it is now.

And am scheming on how to have a garden of sorts at the place where I spend most of the summer. There's no water there, so I'd have to find some plants to grow that require little, if any, summer irrigation. Thinking pretty hard about lentils and/or chickpeas. Even if they don't make a crop, they are legumes, and any growth they do make can be turned back into the ground for soil-building.

A while back, you could find on youtube a "truck garden". It was an old pickup that had soil and garden plants in the bed. Guy drove it around New York City, doing some garden evangelizing, especially for kids. I've thought about getting one of those trailers that are made from old pickups and making a garden in it to travel with. Problem is, I'd be subjecting plants to gale force winds every time I traveled on a highway. Haven't really hit on a good way to solve that problem. 2x2s and plastic wouldn't cut it. Sigh...

There was a gardener around here who had an herb garden on the bumper of her truck. It was such that the bumper area was blocked from much of the wind from driving and the boxes had her business phone number printed on them. I'm guessing she had 5-6 plants on there.

It was always hard on me to leave my plants I had put in when I sold a house. My last husband was a chronic remodeler who got very depressed when the building projects were done. The house in this photo only had two Rhododendron shrubs and one old apple tree in the yard when we bought it. I turned into into a paradise complete with ponds and a waterfall too. This is the only photo I have of the result on this phone. The house also had a major makeover, I totally restyled it into
A Craftsman Bungalow with a big front porch and all the appropriate architectural details for windows, doors eaves, etc. First thing I did to the property was put up a big 2 car garage out back with attic truss dormers dedicated as my woodworking shop. No garage doors on it, a pair of French doors and a big window where they would have been. A local tour bus company started stopping out front on the sightseeing drive. I was close to the downtown, historic waterfront area. Poulsbo, Washington. A quaint fishing village with a Norwegian theme.

D24EFC11-55B5-4EF9-8E5B-617E684F2762.jpeg

Last edited:
... I've thought about getting one of those trailers that are made from old pickups and making a garden in it to travel with. Problem is, I'd be subjecting plants to gale force winds every time I traveled on a highway. Haven't really hit on a good way to solve that problem. 2x2s and plastic wouldn't cut it. Sigh...
I saw one of those eons ago! The part that really caught my attention was the cover. I was a couple of cars away, but it looked like he/she had formed an arc made of welded wire mesh (maybe 2x4"), covered that with clear sheet plastic, and then covered the plastic with another arc of the welded wire mesh. I seem to remember what might have been a plywood sidewalls about twice the height of the truck bed sides. I could see the tops of plants. I thought the plants were in pots, but your idea of growing the plants right in the bed itself made me wonder if what they were doing was what you just described. Wonderful idea!

Start with one of the box trucks that have a plastic roof over the box. Modify it with extra windows and fans to remove excess heat and moisture. Do your planting in built in boxes of soil. Be sure you add a water tank if you want to grow food crops.
A big enough box truck and you can have a bed, kitchen and bath in the forward half, greenhouse in the rear.

Nothing is impossible, you just have to do some creative visualization of possibilities.

As far as making one in a truck trailer bed. Construct it like a sheep herders wagon. The bow is covered with that super strong tool of clearbplastic tarp that has fiberglass weave in it. You will need to fasten the coverings so the sides can be partially rolled up for ventilation when not actively driving. Naturally you will also need screening for pest control or your crop will get devoured by insects as you do not know what types you will encounter at your campsites. Do not forget, you will also need to travel with agricultural shade cloth to cover it at times for heat control.

Very impractical way to travel of course. Too many issues involved. I do not have enough of a “need to nurture” anymore to want to have plants along with me. I went through that withdrawal period when I sold my last house in the summer of 2008. Now I just enjoy and savor the nature I find along the way. It is a bit like having that empty nest syndrome, you move on filling your time up with other things.

Last edited:
^^^An earthship on wheels! Who knows it might just take off! Lol!!! Just take a job as a migrant worker in the fields a season, you will probably never want to see a vegetable again!

^^^ I do not even want to own one of those Air Plants that do not need watering. My trailer has nice big windows. I can see all the plants around me whenever I want to and take a walk among them.

Latest posts