24/7 Chat About Anything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He doesn’t kid! Haha!

Positioned to head north myself! Had to get someone with heavier equipment lined up to plow my camper spot out. Hopefully I’ll be able to do my part and drag some warmer weather north. Haha. Another heavy foot just ended up there on top of knee deep snow pack in my driveway...

Pi day is something the school nurds celebrated and everyone else ignored.

My older brother was a nurd, an obsessively proud owner of a slide rule in high school. It seemed to give him some kind of feeling of magical power.

Real nerds back in the day graduated from slide rules to a Curta:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curta
Otherwise they were forever sentenced to use a slide rule; sayin

Also; nerds are not merely “educationally inclined” but rather , more specifically, STEM degree academically inclined and INTJ’s are the quintessential nerds of all nerds.
Sayin,
INTJohn

I remember being shown how to use a slide rule but I never had one of my own. I was happy looking up things in the tables in the back of the text book. I never like basic math but I really enjoyed the higher level math classes. There were no pocket calculators around when I was in high school.

The early scientific pocket calculators cost a whole lot of money! The initial price in 1972 for the first Hewlett Packard Pocket Calculator when adjusted for inflation for 2023 would cost just over $2,600. I had a younger brother in law who saved up to buy one to use in his college classes in the mid ‘70s.

My Workshop/domicile partner in Seattle was on the industrial design team that developed that first scientific HP pocket calculator in 1972 and the first desktop version that preceded it. Fortunately he is not a nurdy type, just a brilliant, very talented, as well as kind man. But we have to have his and hers calculators at the workshop as he thinks in reverse “polish” notation entry and I think in the current standard entry type. But on the road my cell phone is my pocket calculator 🙂

Last edited:
It is hard to believe but in 1970 I was having to recalibrate nuclear missile guidance systems using the North Star in the middle of the night in the Arizona desert! Lol!!!

The early scientific pocket calculators cost a whole lot of money! The initial price in 1972 for the first Hewlett Packard Pocket Calculator when adjusted for inflation for 2023 would cost just over $2,600. I had a younger brother in law who saved up to buy one to use in his college classes in the mid ‘70s.
My dad sprung for one when I started college in ’72. It wasn’t a HP and could only add, subtract, multiply and divide. Maybe square root??? Cost about $30.
But on the road my cell phone is my pocket calculator 🙂
My Apple watch has the calc set as a watch face widget.

Real nerds back in the day graduated from slide rules to a Curta:
i suppose they would have preferred to do such.

INTJ’s are the quintessential nerds of all nerds.
Were you professionally evaluated or did you use an online test? If online, and it was not very recent, you might want to give the test another go. I thought my INTJ results fit really well. At least until I took the test again. Some changes have been made. Seems that users were getting placed as INTJ when another classification would fit better.

Neighbor opened my driveway and this is what I’m going home to...

Attachments

• 0B4842D1-37E5-4340-9388-F2530986AD9F.jpeg
    0B4842D1-37E5-4340-9388-F2530986AD9F.jpeg
    124.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 420399EE-19A4-4514-97F1-5C33901973C6.jpeg
    420399EE-19A4-4514-97F1-5C33901973C6.jpeg
    130.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 6F177E17-5C8E-4DD2-9AE9-A7815655233B.jpeg
    6F177E17-5C8E-4DD2-9AE9-A7815655233B.jpeg
    92 KB · Views: 0
Bought my first real calculator in 1982; HP 15C for around 100$

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP-15C
Have used it now for over 40 years. It’s with me now here in the truk. It’s the only real, scientific based calculator I’ve ever owned and used it thru grad school & for all of my engineering field calculations while self employed; and also for some of my office design calcs when just needed something qwik vs using the computer.

Damn fine piece of equipment that owes me nothing……….

INTJohn

I can get 15 three-year-olds asleep at the same time in the same room, I can bake an apple pie from scratch, I can make a quilt in a week from nothing but a pile of old jeans, I can read story books upside down and backwards while stopping that one kid who is trying to sneak a pinch from his neighbor, I can teach 3 year olds how hot goes up and cold goes down. I can read faster then just about anyone I know (Yea we had a race) I can do soooo many things well, but math ain't one of them....

I was born with a brain that thinks in sequential logic steps and I have a lot of patience to do detailed work plus artistic vision.

I was not born with the patience to work in child care. One of those creatures at a time was all I could manage.

One year in Tucson, AZ. We were going to have our yearly Air Show at DM Air Force Base. The Blue Angels decided they needed to do some practice runs Friday afternoon. It went on for about an hour and was super cool to watch. People were pull cars to the side of the road coming home from work. They had to shut it down because after several accidents both the sheriff and TPD called the base and told them to get those SOBs out of the air. Supposedly a quote. It was wonderful to watch, both an amusing and sad incident in Tucson air history.

I can get 15 three-year-olds asleep at the same time in the same room, I can bake an apple pie from scratch, I can make a quilt in a week from nothing but a pile of old jeans, I can read story books upside down and backwards while stopping that one kid who is trying to sneak a pinch from his neighbor, I can teach 3 year olds how hot goes up and cold goes down. I can read faster then just about anyone I know (Yea we had a race) I can do soooo many things well, but math ain't one of them....
You have some amazing skills.

One year in Tucson, AZ. We were going to have our yearly Air Show at DM Air Force Base. The Blue Angels decided they needed to do some practice runs Friday afternoon. It went on for about an hour and was super cool to watch. People were pull cars to the side of the road coming home from work. They had to shut it down because after several accidents both the sheriff and TPD called the base and told them to get those SOBs out of the air. Supposedly a quote. It was wonderful to watch, both an amusing and sad incident in Tucson air history.
When they come to Seattle they practice and there are a few bridges they shut down.

When they come to Seattle they practice and there are a few bridges they shut down.
The two floating bridges over Lake Washington are closed during the performances as well. The hydroplane race event, part of Seafair, is what the Blue Angel Event is part of.

Last edited:
DM?